What's new

ISRO develops India's fastest supercomputer

unicorn148

Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has built India's fastest supercomputer in terms of theoretical peak performance —220 trillion floating point operations per second (FLOPS).

K. Radhakrishnan, ISRO Chairman, inaugurated the supercomputer, SAGA-220, at the newly established supercomputing facility, named after Satish Dhawan, of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre here on Monday.

Space scientists are using SAGA-220 (Supercomputer for Aerospace with GPU Architecture-220 TeraFLOPS) for solving complex aerospace problems.

The supercomputer was fully designed and built by the space centre using commercially available hardware and open-source software components. The system uses as many as 400 NVIDIA Tesla 2070 graphic processing units (GPUs) and an equal number of Intel Quad Core Xeon central processing units (CPUs), supplied by WIPRO, with a high-speed interconnect.

With each GPU and CPU providing a performance of 500 GigaFLOPS and 50 GigaFLOPS, respectively, the theoretical peak performance of the system amounts to 220 TeraFLOPS. The GPU-based system offers significant advantage over the conventional CPU-based system in terms of cost, power, and space requirements.

An official release said the supercomputer cost about Rs.14 crore. The system was environmentally green and consumed only 150 kW of power. This system could be easily scaled to many PetaFLOPS (1,000 TeraFLOPS), it added.

This system could be easily scaled to many PetaFLOPS (1,000 TeraFLOPS)
There is no intention from the govt to do so. Disgusting.

This is a great achievement. Specially the power requirement is extremely low compared to other similar supercomputers.

teraflop-1.jpg

There is no intention from the govt to do so. Disgusting.

This is a great achievement. Specially the power requirement is extremely low compared to other similar supercomputers.

teraflop-1.jpg

There is no need to upgrade the system. probably they will do so wen the requirement arises.

Sad we should be aiming for world's fastest...especially in a country associated in the world as computer powerhouse.

Why the F*CK is ISRO developing supercomputers ?

This is CDAC's job. Are those scientists masturbating over there?

Why is ISRO investing its precious man hours on non-core operations ?

Why the F*CK is ISRO developing supercomputers ?

This is CDAC's job. Are those scientists masturbating over there?

Why is ISRO investing its precious man hours on non-core operations ?

may be it would have been easier for ISRO to develop it themselves (with exact precision/requirements). it is less time consuming and gives u more "hands on" experience on the system.

it is not the first time it has been done. several DRDO labs have done this before.

may be it would have been easier for ISRO to develop it themselves (with exact precision/requirements). it is less time consuming and gives u more "hands on" experience on the system.

it is not the first time it has been done. several DRDO labs have done this before.

Seems weird to me. ISRO, given its small budget must concentrate on its core competency.

DRDO is a separate case, they have the means and the man power and time to indulge in all such activities.

Unfortunately, ISRO does not have that kind of luxury.

I am wondering if CDAC ppl are now red-faced.

Seems weird to me. ISRO, given its small budget must concentrate on its core competency.

DRDO is a separate case, they have the means and the man power and time to indulge in all such activities.

Maybe CDAC should wake up and build the world's fastest.....in INdia

1) ISRO of done with fraction money for the same supercomputer from CDAC or else where.

2) Its totally based on COTS product.

3) ISRO built it with their requirements in mind.

I think its good that ISRO has such capabilities and understand the area for their needs. Also note the petaflop improvement.

CDAC can develop petaflops supercomputer but the govt is not ready to provide the necessary money and electricity for the facility.

The Supercomputer is built by Wipro for ISRO.
Wipro building India

I think we dont need the fastest super computer in the world when our requirements can be met by 220 teraflops. We have the capability to reach petaflops as mentioned in the article but that will be wasting resources.

Yeh, this week is getting better and better for India.

More good news please!

Btw where does this rank in the world? Top 10 fastest? Top 5?

The Supercomputer is built by Wipro for ISRO.
Wipro building India

I think we dont need the fastest super computer in the world when our requirements can be met by 220 teraflops. We have the capability to reach petaflops as mentioned in the article but that will be wasting resources.

Hi it clearly mentioned the supercomputer designed and developed by ISRO with hardware supplied by Wipro.

Back
Top Bottom