What's new

Isro develops cryogenic engine

Fighter488

Reaction score
Isro develops cryogenic engine​

Prashanth G N | TNN

Bangalore: Isro’s 2010 space dream should be a technological leapfrog. It will soon launch the GSLV-D3 rocket with an indigenous (Indian) cryogenic stage and engine for the first time in the country’s space history. The space agency has so far been launching GSLV rockets on borrowed Russian technology.
The GSLV launch, if successful, will make India only the fifth or sixth country in the world to launch a rocket with indigenous cryogenic technology. The cryogenic stage is the upper stage of the rocket that will house the cryogenic engine within it.
“Cryogenic technology involves the use of super-cooled liquid fuel to launch heavy rockets like GSLV with the fuel being a mix of liquid hydrogen and oxygen. Launching rockets with liquid fuel of the cryogenic kind has never been easy and Isro will do it this time on its own with the stage and engine developed by itself,” Isro officials said.

Isro achieved a significant milestone recently when it successfully tested the cryogenic stage. The test was conducted for full flight duration of 720 seconds at the liquid propulsion test facility at Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu. The indigenous cryogenic stage now remains to be tested in actual flight __ on the GSLV-D3. The ground test has validated the design robustness and performance adequacy for its use in GSLV.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Isro-develops-cryogenic-engine/articleshow/5403646.cms

It will be a big, big achievement man I can't wait for the launch of the GSLV with a indigenous (Indian) cryogenic engine, best of luck ISRO

Naah... i am not that excited. They promised the engine some 8 years ago.

Cryogenic engine is unlike other engines buddy,Typically Hydrogen and Oxygen are used which need to be held below 20°K (-423°F) and 90°K (-297°F) to get to the cryogenic stage, If the mixing goes wrong the rocket will explode very badly. There are only US, Russia, China, France, Japan and India who have mastered this technology....

20030815005111301.jpg

The cryo test and control room at the LPSC's facility at Mahendragiri.

The indigenously developed cryogenic engine at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre of ISRO at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu. — Photo: A. Shaikmohideen

That was probably because intially Russia agreed for TOT but later backed out and we have build a indeginous one. Well I'm not sure how much Russian input will be there in this indeginous product ;)

Also I read somewhere that the only difference between a GSLV rocket and an ICBM is a paint coat and the payload can be a warhead or a satellite, how true is that?

That was probably because intially Russia agreed for TOT but later backed out and we have build a indeginous one. Well I'm not sure how much Russian input will be there in this indeginous product ;)

Also I read somewhere that the only difference between a GSLV rocket and an ICBM is a paint coat and the payload can be a warhead or a satellite, how true is that?

Attitude matters buddy... Thats can be used either as an ICBM or a Simple Rocket to launch a satellite.... Its very true......

Correct if I'm wrong. In a cryogenic engine, iquid H2 and O2 are pumped into the combustion chamber by a turbopump having very high rpm. What powers these turbopump then ?.

Cryogenic engine is unlike other engines buddy,Typically Hydrogen and Oxygen are used which need to be held below 20°K (-423°F) and 90°K (-297°F) to get to the cryogenic stage, If the mixing goes wrong the rocket will explode very badly. There are only US, Russia, China, France, Japan and India who have mastered this technology....

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | India satellite 'to be written off'
Look when they started talking about indigenous cryo engine. I understand its importance. I am just picking at their lethargy and forgotten promises.

India is developing its own cryogenic engine for its ambitious space programme.

Dr Kasturirangan said the indigenously-built cryogenic engine would be operational within two-and-half years.

Dude don`t get disappointed.. it is written in article that indegenous engine is in developmental stage and also it is written that it will take almost 3 yrs to complete....So instead of 2005 it is ready in 2010.. So no need to get disappointed...
Now we will have our own cryogenic engine.Some delays are bound for such complicated technologies..
2377c1c93266427552d6e25122353700.gif

Correct me if i am wrong.

AFTER THIS ENGINE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE 10000KM RANGE ICBM????????

Yes cryogenic Engines can surely power ICBM, An Engine Which can give vaccum thrust of 100-150KN can Very well Attain speed and power when carrying war heads through non vaccum atmospheres.

buddy, stop sounding like a pakistani. We are not obsessed with missiles

lol stop being hypocrite boys love their toys, Pakistani or Indian or chinese everybody will share same enthusiasm when it comes to weapon of mass destruction its human instinct, we create to destroy and then worry how to destroy it. :cheers:

Probably YES but I think india will not officially declare the creation of ICBM...But can manufactured covertly

Back
Top Bottom