Country
China
Israel and China sign $300M deal to spur nanotech-computer science innovation

img_0330.jpg

Above: Tel Aviv University president Joseph Klafter

Image Credit: Richard Byrne Reilly

June 23, 2014 7:05 PM

Richard Byrne Reilly

Israel and China are now BFFs — at least when it comes to the subjects of nanotechnology, computer science, and other high-tech fields.

Two prominent tech universities from both countries – Tel Aviv University and Tsinghua University in Beijing — recently signed a $300 million deal that will see an exchange of Ph.D students from Israel and China. And eventually, satellite offices on both campuses.

Leaders from both schools see this deal as more than just an expensive exchange of top-shelf talent.

While nanotechnology will be one of the primary focuses initially, Tel Aviv University president Joseph Klafter sees the newly minted relationship as a way for students to collaborate and eventually launch IT-centric startups of their own.

“The Chinese are looking for partners in order to accelerate their innovation process,” Klafter told VentureBeat in a Monday sitdown. “They will be the next generation of researchers and innovators.”

The deal marks the largest such exchange in the history of the two countries and has profound implications for global tech innovation. Israel produces some of the best developers in the world, and China does, too. The deal also shows Chinese interest in tapping the tech know-how of the Holy Land, with its tiny population of 7.9 million, that many refer to as “startup nation.”

Initially, seven graduate students from Tel Aviv University and 14 graduate students from Tsinghua University will take part on the exchange. Part of the $300 million, according to the studious Klafter, will go toward designing prototypes and connecting the academic sector to the broader business world and to commercialize joint projects.

The $300 million initiative is called Xin, which is Mandarin for heart or mind. Klafter has exceptionally ambitious plans for Xin, as do his Chinese counterparts. Nanotech cooperation is high on the list of priorities, followed by medical apps and environmental subjects. IT research will then join in.

So far, this effort has raised $100 million, with the cash coming primarily from the private sector, sans governments. Construction will also take place on the campuses of both schools to house the program. There is no downside to the deal, Klafter said, noting that Tsinghua University is called the “MIT of China” while Tel Aviv University has the best computer science program in Israel.

“We will now have an academic presence in China. There are lots of fellowships and faculty in the cooperation. The Chinese are looking for different types of cooperation, and they wanted the innovative side,” Klafter said. “Lawyers from both sides have already fine-toothed the deal, and intellectual property right exchanges have been signed. The deal has created a lot of noise,” he said.

While Krafter and his Chinese colleagues hope to raise the rest of the dough soon, the focused university chief pictures a win-win for both sides. He eventually sees Israeli tech ideas turned into startups and making money in Beijing, and sees the same for Chinese participation.

“The focus is on everything, from startups to basic research,” he said.

Krafter smiled and put his iPhone back into his pocket on his way to yet another meeting in the Valley before flying home to Tel Aviv.

“Anything that leads to an idea,” he said of the deal. “Scientists run the world.”

Israel and China sign $300M deal to spur nanotech-computer science innovation | VentureBeat | Education | by Richard Byrne Reilly

This credit will go to me as well.

Israel will pump China to the new highs.

China however should be careful. They need technological advantage and not pumped money reserves.

“Anything that leads to an idea,” he said of the deal. “Scientists run the world.

Because of these western dominated intellectuals...western elite prints $$$ and wreaks havoc.
I wonder sanity might prevail among the scientists. They STOP associating themselves from the corrupt elite. If science becomes truly global...Western elite will loose the monopoly. So will the scammers.

That will indeed be a nice day.

If China is to be pumped to the forefronts - Pakistan cannot be the closest ally. Things have to change.

India has to be the closest. So does Israel.

That however does not mean Pakistan should go back to Amrika.

This credit will go to me as well.

Israel will pump China to the new highs.

China however should be careful. They need technological advantage and not pumped money reserves.

“Anything that leads to an idea,” he said of the deal. “Scientists run the world.

Because of these western dominated intellectuals...western elite prints $$$ and wreaks havoc.
I wonder sanity might prevail among the scientists. They STOP associating themselves from the corrupt elite. If science becomes truly global...Western elite will loose the monopoly. So will the scammers.

That will indeed be a nice day.

If China is to be pumped to the forefronts - Pakistan cannot be the closest ally. Things have to change.

India has to be the closest. So does Israel.

That however does not mean Pakistan should go back to Amrika.

and??

China has its own ambitions.

The fact that India is being pumped up with the printed $$$ - China sees an opportunity.

Money suppliers are dealing with all the parties. If China is to become a superpower - Pakistan cannot be the closest ally.

Of course unless China becomes a super power on its own. That won't happen. You will see nukes falling down before that.

Not a word of condemnation for Israel and on top all these deals.

Thats ok but Pakistan is silent? Why?

China sends mediator to Israel and Palestine for talks on ...

Chinese Middle East envoy Wu Sike 17, met separately with Israeli and Palestinian officials, urged both sides to cease fire as soon as possible, to restart peace talks in the case of the Palestinian-Israeli war caused serious humanitarian crisis, China's active mediation, the contribution of Eastern wisdom, to show the power play.

Israeli-Palestinian problem persists for years. Whenever people feel when the Israeli-Palestinian conflict faded vision, this will be delayed half a century of strife in the face of blood and re-occupy the headlines. Nowadays, the IDF launched 'blade guard Action 'has reached 10 days, killing nearly 2,000 Palestinians dead and injured. latest news is that Israeli ground troops to attack Gaza.

To this end, the international community, including China, are increasing mediation efforts, and actively to promote peace talks currently, the most important diplomatic efforts to promote Israeli-Palestinian parties is an immediate ceasefire, but the long-term goal should be to break the 'ceasefire - Charge - war - the cease-fire 'of the cycle, the peace process back on track(Like-News: Free News, China News, U.S. News, Provides newspaper for all industries

China has always attached great importance to the Middle East, has been committed to promoting the Middle East peace process after China's new leaders propose solutions to the Middle East took a four-point proposal since 2013, China continued to 'force' on the Israeli-Palestinian issue, the international community attention and recognition.

In May 2009, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's visit to China in succession, the two leaders have praised China's constructive role to play in promoting and on 4 April this year, when he was President of Israel Shimon Peres visit once again stressed his hope that the Chinese side is to promote peace talks continue to play a role. Wu Sike year multiple entry Palestinians and Israelis have also been active region to promote peace talks.

Of course, to solve the Middle East peace this riddle, not overnight of power, need to have a firm belief and full of patience. This will be the touchstone of China as a world power in international multilateral affairs determination and ability, however, regardless of the outcome dare to face the toughest hot issues in the Middle East, have demonstrated the Chinese open diplomatic demeanor confident and responsible big country.

Compared to the traditional strength of the United States on the Middle East, the European Union, China has some unique advantages, such as less historical baggage in the Middle East, to uphold justice concept, there is a wide range of bilateral cooperation with the Palestinians and Israelis, is that both sides can be trusted friends and so on. Moreover, China Eastern wisdom to bring inclusive and flexible and pragmatic attitude, or may provide new ideas to solve the Palestinian-Israeli issue(News News Like-News: Free News, China News, U.S. News, Provides newspaper for all industries

The fact repeatedly stated, the war will not lead to peace, but to make peace prospects dimmed Chinese saying goes: a strong military power is off, the wood is strong, folding, this oriental wisdom to achieve Israeli-Palestinian peace when there is benefit (Xinhua

China again urges Palestine, Israel to show restraint

English.news.cn | 2014-07-18 21:28:44 | Editor: Mengjie

BEIJING, July 18 (Xinhua) -- China on Friday again urged Palestine and Israel to show restraint and respond to the international community's call for ceasefire immediately.

The conflict between Palestine and Israel began on July 8 and has led to more than 200 deaths and left over 1,500 people injured.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei reiterated China's concern, expressing "worry and grief".

"China welcomes the proposal from Egypt. We again urge Palestine and Israel to consider the greater picture of the safety of the peoples and regional peace and stability," Hong said.

Hong called for an end to ground operations, rocket launches and other actions that might escalate the tension.

China is actively engaged in mediation efforts. Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Ming on Tuesday met with diplomats from Palestinian, Israeli, Arab states and the Arab League. China's special envoy on Middle East Affairs Wu Sike is on a visit to Palestine, Israel and other countries.

"China will continue to work for a ceasefire, regional peace and stability," the spokesman added.

Israel and Hamas observed a five-hour humanitarian truce proposed by the United Nations on Thursday but an Israeli air raid came shortly after that, killing three Palestinian children in Gaza City.

China again urges Palestine, Israel to show restraint - Xinhua | English.news.cn

The terrorist attacks in China make our bonding with Israel stronger, and I am happy to see that happen. Isreal will never be able to pose a threaten to us.

Does any country condemn Israel in this recent event? enlighten me if you can.

Pakistan knows that China-Israel cooperation is not aim at them, in contrary when we acquire better technology, Pakistan will have a great chance to access more sophisticate weapons with Chinese progress in Science and Technologies ;) hence better weapon against India. But unlike China you guys bought Israel military weapon are purposely aim against them ...of course aim at China as well. Therefore we Chinese also condemn India-Israel cooperation.

It's that fair enough with my answer?

Lol... question to Pakistanis answered by a Chinese. . There is no confusion in my mind regarding the Chinese. And just to add... You got the quesrion all wrong.

I know your intention and where you want to go with your question, so I answer to the bottom of your heart before even you contemplate to formulate a question to my answer.

What on earth has Pakistan got to do with this?

Pakistan wants China to become strong and here is one way of going about it. :-)

I can understand now why you're upset about this i.e. China becoming stronger.

I would use a different word but I don't want to get banned :)

You should be banned for off-topic post anyway.

Last edited:

Condemnation for what? Why would a Pakistani in his/her right condemn a deal which has nothing to do with Pakistan? Israel makes thousands of deals and so do rest of the world, what is your point? If you are relating this to Gaza in any sense then man you are free to stand by Israel.

Last edited:
The terrorist attacks in China make our bonding with Israel stronger, and I am happy to see that happen. Isreal will never be able to pose a threaten to us.

Does any country condemn Israel in this recent event? enlighten me if you can.

Pakistan and Turkey, for starters. There are others. What was your point?

Back
Top Bottom