What's new

Isn’t ‘Illegal Bangladeshi’ Racist Shorthand For Bengali Speaking Muslims In Assam

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
LESSER MORTALS

Banajit Hussain

The fragile peace in the Bodoland Territorial Areas District of Assam has been ruptured, once again. The massacre of Muslims of East Bengali descent in Kokrajhar and Baksa has taken the toll to 46. This is not the first time that targeted ethnic violence has occurred in the BTAD. Throughout the 1990s, armed Bodo groups indulged in pogroms against Nepalis, adivasis and Muslims and Hindus of East Bengali descent. But since the creation of the BTAD, increasingly only Muslims of East Bengali descent are being targeted. In the ‘riots’ of 2012, 108 people had died: 79 were Muslims of East Bengali descent, 22 were Bodos and 4 were from other communities.

What is disturbing is that the discourse around the massacre is getting transformed into a debate on the question of illegal immigration from Bangladesh. In 2012, a large section of Assamese society, a segment of the national media and the Bharatiya Janata Party had raised the bogey of ‘illegal Bangladeshis’ to justify the killings and divert attention from the real causes. Some even went to the extent of likening the victims to locusts. Recently an Assamese research scholar at the Jawaharlal Nehru University was subjected to threats and abuses by Assamese xenophobes and was asked to relocate to Bangladesh owing to her sympathies for the ‘locusts’.

How do these xenophobes know that Assam is being swarmed by illegal Bangladeshis? The answer is always about increasing visibility and numbers of miyas— a slur used to denote Muslim Bangladeshis — in urban clusters, new settlements in peripheries of forest land, and settlements near river embankments. Between 1901 and 1941, encouraged by the colonial administration, over 10 lakh people migrated and settled in Assam from East Bengal. East Bengali Muslim peasants first settled in the undivided Goalpara district, before they spanned out to western and central Assam. Records show that between 1901 and 1931, 4.98 lakh East Bengali Muslim peasants resided in Goalpara alone. Where, then, are the descendants of the Muslim peasants who settled in the region before Partition?

Harsh fate

Considering the abysmal level of socio-economic development among Muslims of East Bengali descent in Assam, the reason for the increasing numbers and the visibility of the miyas could very well be the result of migration from rural to urban centres in search of livelihood. It could also be because of internal displacement from Assam’s chars. Thechars were populated for cultivation by immigrant Muslims in the colonial era. Socio-economic indicators among char dwellers have remained depressing. The surveys of 1992-93 and 2002-03 revealed that char dwellers constituted 9.35 per cent of the total population of Assam; between 1992-93 and 2002-03, the literacy rate increased marginally from 15.45 per cent to 19.31 per cent; in 2002-03, 67.90 per cent of chardwellers lived below the poverty line, an increase of 19 per cent from 1992-93. Chars are predisposed towards erosion and char dwellers often become internally displaced persons. Poor socio-economic conditions, erosion and displacement have forced lakhs of char dwellers to migrate to the mainland.

How do Assamese xenophobes and BJP leaders differentiate between Muslim citizens of East Bengali descent and ‘illegal Bangladeshis’? Shared physical and cultural markers — beard, lungi, religion and language — rather than ‘differences’ are probably used for the purpose of identification. These clichéd representations are becoming a part of a new discourse which seeks to project Muslims of East Bengali descent as “lesser humans”. Such portrayals are undoubtedly the hallmark of a racist worldview.

Isn’t ‘Illegal Bangladeshi’ Racist Shorthand For Bengali Speaking Muslims In Assam By Bonojit Hussain

Read more in The India Doctrine about Hindu nationalists views on Islam and Muslims and the creation of Pakistan and Bangladesh -

https://www.academia.edu/5690262/The_India_Doctrine_1947-2007_

LESSER MORTALS

Banajit Hussain

The fragile peace in the Bodoland Territorial Areas District of Assam has been ruptured, once again. The massacre of Muslims of East Bengali descent in Kokrajhar and Baksa has taken the toll to 46. This is not the first time that targeted ethnic violence has occurred in the BTAD. Throughout the 1990s, armed Bodo groups indulged in pogroms against Nepalis, adivasis and Muslims and Hindus of East Bengali descent. But since the creation of the BTAD, increasingly only Muslims of East Bengali descent are being targeted. In the ‘riots’ of 2012, 108 people had died: 79 were Muslims of East Bengali descent, 22 were Bodos and 4 were from other communities.

What is disturbing is that the discourse around the massacre is getting transformed into a debate on the question of illegal immigration from Bangladesh. In 2012, a large section of Assamese society, a segment of the national media and the Bharatiya Janata Party had raised the bogey of ‘illegal Bangladeshis’ to justify the killings and divert attention from the real causes. Some even went to the extent of likening the victims to locusts. Recently an Assamese research scholar at the Jawaharlal Nehru University was subjected to threats and abuses by Assamese xenophobes and was asked to relocate to Bangladesh owing to her sympathies for the ‘locusts’.

How do these xenophobes know that Assam is being swarmed by illegal Bangladeshis? The answer is always about increasing visibility and numbers of miyas— a slur used to denote Muslim Bangladeshis — in urban clusters, new settlements in peripheries of forest land, and settlements near river embankments. Between 1901 and 1941, encouraged by the colonial administration, over 10 lakh people migrated and settled in Assam from East Bengal. East Bengali Muslim peasants first settled in the undivided Goalpara district, before they spanned out to western and central Assam. Records show that between 1901 and 1931, 4.98 lakh East Bengali Muslim peasants resided in Goalpara alone. Where, then, are the descendants of the Muslim peasants who settled in the region before Partition?

Harsh fate

Considering the abysmal level of socio-economic development among Muslims of East Bengali descent in Assam, the reason for the increasing numbers and the visibility of the miyas could very well be the result of migration from rural to urban centres in search of livelihood. It could also be because of internal displacement from Assam’s chars. Thechars were populated for cultivation by immigrant Muslims in the colonial era. Socio-economic indicators among char dwellers have remained depressing. The surveys of 1992-93 and 2002-03 revealed that char dwellers constituted 9.35 per cent of the total population of Assam; between 1992-93 and 2002-03, the literacy rate increased marginally from 15.45 per cent to 19.31 per cent; in 2002-03, 67.90 per cent of chardwellers lived below the poverty line, an increase of 19 per cent from 1992-93. Chars are predisposed towards erosion and char dwellers often become internally displaced persons. Poor socio-economic conditions, erosion and displacement have forced lakhs of char dwellers to migrate to the mainland.

How do Assamese xenophobes and BJP leaders differentiate between Muslim citizens of East Bengali descent and ‘illegal Bangladeshis’? Shared physical and cultural markers — beard, lungi, religion and language — rather than ‘differences’ are probably used for the purpose of identification. These clichéd representations are becoming a part of a new discourse which seeks to project Muslims of East Bengali descent as “lesser humans”. Such portrayals are undoubtedly the hallmark of a racist worldview.

Isn’t ‘Illegal Bangladeshi’ Racist Shorthand For Bengali Speaking Muslims In Assam By Bonojit Hussain

Read more in The India Doctrine about Hindu nationalists views on Islam and Muslims and the creation of Pakistan and Bangladesh -

https://www.academia.edu/5690262/The_India_Doctrine_1947-2007_

I am afraid that this is partially true.

People do not have any sense of the distinction between Bengalis who were induced to settle there before 1947, to develop empty spaces devoid of any significant population, and subsequent immigrants, mostly illegal, both Hindu and Muslim. There is a tendency to flesh out arguments about and against post-Partition immigrants by pointing to the growing visibility of ALL Muslims, including both those who were ethnic Assamese, and those who were migrants before 1947.

It will only become worse in days to come.

Muslims in Assam have an outright Majority in Six ( 6 ) out 23 Districts.

A 7th District has 47.5 % Muslim Population.

3 more districts have Muslim Populations ranging from 35% to 39%.

With this kind of Voting Power, it would be difficult to suppress the Muslims in Assam.

Muslim Population by District in Assam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It isn't about numbers.

Sadly, decades of hostile and unfriendly treatment have sapped their self-confidence. These are poor people, struggling to make a living (there are the rich among them, but everyone knows about Pikkety today). They have an impression that education, for instance, is not for them. Some of their school inspectors and education activists are among the most dynamic and forward-thinking of administrators, but faced with the fatalist apathy, defeated attitude and lack of self-confidence of the people themselves, there is little or nothing they can do.

I work in these areas, and in the Muslim-majority area of Saharanpur, and am steadily getting depressed. This does not seem to be a problem which can be solved. Not without a societal effort, a herculean effort.

It isn't about numbers.

Sadly, decades of hostile and unfriendly treatment have sapped their self-confidence. These are poor people, struggling to make a living (there are the rich among them, but everyone knows about Pikkety today). They have an impression that education, for instance, is not for them. Some of their school inspectors and education activists are among the most dynamic and forward-thinking of administrators, but faced with the fatalist apathy, defeated attitude and lack of self-confidence of the people themselves, there is little or nothing they can do.

I work in these areas, and in the Muslim-majority area of Saharanpur, and am steadily getting depressed. This does not seem to be a problem which can be solved. Not without a societal effort, a herculean effort.

I think as much as I hate to admit, it is situations like these where I believe a Communist Government does a better Job of Educating their Minorities then a Centrist or a Right Wing Government. Isn't West Bengal doing a better job of educating all their Citizens ?

Too bad , the relationship between our two countries is so poor, otherwise Muslim Educational Foundations could come and help in UP and Bihar areas where the language would not be a barrier.

I think as much as I hate to admit, it is situations like these where I believe a Communist Government does a better Job of Educating their Minorities then a Centrist or a Right Wing Government. Isn't West Bengal doing a better job of educating all their Citizens ?

Too bad , the relationship between our two countries is so poor, otherwise Muslim Educational Foundations could come and help in UP and Bihar areas where the language would not be a barrier.

They were in some respects streets ahead, but then they went and used the vacancies of teaching positions as sinecures for the party faithful. Stupid 'economist' bastards! Now the Mamata government has taken it several notches higher.

The problem is not with educational facilities merely, but the general milieu of defeat, due to unrelenting and one-sided hostility. On the other hand, the West Bengali Muslim is quietly confident, and very sure of his or her position in society.

People do not have any sense of the distinction between Bengalis who were induced to settle there before 1947, to develop empty spaces devoid of any significant population, and subsequent immigrants, mostly illegal, both Hindu and Muslim. There is a tendency to flesh out arguments about and against post-Partition immigrants by pointing to the growing visibility of ALL Muslims, including both those who were ethnic Assamese, and those who were migrants before 1947.

It will only become worse in days to come.

Hopefully after this admission we can have sensible debate on the issue ....

Hopefully after this admission we can have sensible debate on the issue ....

Admission?

This is not a police-station, and I was not making a confessional statement to the daroga.

I have always sought the facts of a matter, and avoided opinion or personal belief, except in very fundamental senses and on fundamental issues. If you want to discuss facts, we can have a useful discussion. If you want to play NIGYYSOB, find some other partner.

Admission?

This is not a police-station, and I was not making a confessional statement to the daroga.

I have always sought the facts of a matter, and avoided opinion or personal belief, except in very fundamental senses and on fundamental issues. If you want to discuss facts, we can have a useful discussion. If you want to play NIGYYSOB, find some other partner.

Why do Indians gets so easily offended and then behave with such arrogance and superiority. I pointed out that your comment is tantamount to an admission that there has been a lot of Indian propaganda on this issue and most of what is said on the illegal immigrant issue is pure fabrication. Don't worry that does not make you a traitor although your reaction suggests that is what you are worried about. Get over it ...

I don't agree either that there has been a lot of "Indian" propaganda on this issue. And I don't need to worry whether or not that makes me a traitor to a segment of Indian - the real Indian, this time - opinion; as anyone who has seen my track record would know by now, it has never been an inhibiting factor that other Indians and I do not see eye to eye on any issue.

What I do resent is your trying to twist and distort my plainly stated position and create another tired piece of propaganda out of it. These are cheap tactics, typically born out of frustration at preaching a lost cause. Get over it.

incidentally today is may 16.......
hmm,,,,,,,did d countdown just finish?:p:
times up now!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom