What's new

Iraqis find Saudi supplies, weapons destined for ISIS

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
saudi-supplies.jpg

WASHINGTON – If there still were any question of whether or not Saudi Arabia has been quietly supporting ISIS, Iraqi security forces who raided ISIS strongholds in Saddam Hussein’s hometown of Tikrit have provided further evidence.

In their effort to retake Tikrit, the Iraqis found in ISIS storage areas several tons of foodstuffs and dried fruit from Saudi Arabia along with weapons, according to the Arabic language Al-Qad Press.

The discovery came as some 30,000 Iraqi troops and militias began a counter-offensive backed by airstrikes to take back Tikrit from ISIS fighters.

Iraqi forces are attacking from three sides and now control the northern areas of the Albu Obaid village and west of Tikrit, which would be a stepping stone to retake the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.

The operation marks a major test for Iraqi forces. Last June, some 13,000 Iraqi military abandoned their weapons when only 2,000 ISIS fighters captured Mosul, a city of 1.5 million people.

In initially launching the attack, Iraqi security forces came across tons of “humanitarian” foodstuffs with Saudi labels saying: “Saudi Arabia Kingdom of Humanity, Emergency Relief Aid for the Needy.”

The Iraqi forces are being joined by elements of the Kurdish Peshmerga, Sunni tribes, Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps troops and Shiite militia, which includes the Iranian-backed Hezbollah.

Officially, Saudi Arabia and other ISIS supporters such as Turkey and Qatar deny their citizens help ISIS.

Saudi Arabia and Qatar even point to laws they have passed to make it difficult for individuals to send aid to militants.

However, enforcement of such laws and policies is questionable.

According to James Carafano, vice president for Foreign and Defense Policy studies at the Washington-based Heritage Foundation, the movement of arms between Eastern Europe, Gulf states and the Middle East isn’t unprecedented, relying on a network of private arms merchants.

While ISIS doesn’t get arms supplies directly from such supporting states as Saudi Arabia, Qatar or Turkey, they come from individuals.

“It’s often individuals that are working in the private sector of arms companies that are making these deals, so they are already in business of logistics and moving stuff around,” Carafano said.

He said the weapons captured while taking Mosul has put ISIS “in good shape for a long time.”

“But the question is, how do they use those weapons, how do they maintain them, where do they get spare parts from?”

ISIS doesn’t know how to use many of the modern U.S. weapons that it has acquired.

Separately, Hussein al-Ramahi, who heads the political commission of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah brigades, disclosed that his forces have discovered Saudi-supplied arms and ammunition in areas taken back from ISIS control that have been dropped to ISIS fighters from unidentified aircraft.

“The Iraqi security and popular forces have discovered Saudi-supplied weapons in regions liberated from ISIS control,” Ramahi told FarNews Agency.

“We have discovered boxes containing weapons and equipment with Saudi names and labels on them,” he said.

The allegation of supplying weapons could not be confirmed.

However, it is consistent with a recent report by the London-based Conflict Armament Research Ltd., which did an analysis of weapons and ammunition captured from ISIS forces in Iraq and Syria late last year.

“M79 90 mm anti-tank rockets captured from ISIS forces in Syria are identical to M79 rockets transferred by Saudi Arabia to forces operating under the ‘Free Syrian Army’ umbrella in 2013,” the CAR report said.

Weapons used by ISIS, however, are coming not only from Saudi Arabia but also from such other countries as China, Russia and Serbia.

Also, ISIS has seized a significant number of U.S.-manufactured small arms and rifles from the Iraqi military, including M16 assault rifles manufactured by Colt and FN Manufacturing of Belgium. The weapons had labels designating them as “Property of U.S. Govt.”

When ISIS captured Mosul using only 2,000 fighters, it took hold of a significant amount of weaponry to arm itself like a conventional army.

“You lost approximately three divisions worth of equipment and probably at least three depots in that area, according to Anthony Cordesman, a security analyst with the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies.

ISIS also captured anti-aircraft weaponry when it overran a Syrian air force base last year. It can down aircraft flying at 16,000 feet.

The weapons would be in addition to the various tanks ISIS has captured, including T-55s, T-62s, T-72s and BRDM-2 armored vehicles from Russia, which are Soviet-era weapons. ISIS also has captured MT-LB armored vehicles from Bulgaria, some 20 old Soviet BMP-1 infantry fighting vehicles, a fleet of U.S. Humvees, and countless rocket-propelled grenades and launchers, such as the RPG-7.

In its arms inventory, ISIS also captured various models of howitzers and rocket launchers from Iraq and Syria when its forces overtook military bases in the countries.

In addition, ISIS captured FIM-92 Stingers and SA-16 MANPADS, or man-portable air-defense systems, from Iraqi military bases.

Also, ISIS has captured 9K32 Strela-2 MANPADs, which are prevalent in Iraq and Syria.
Iraqis find Saudi supplies, weapons destined for ISIS

the saudi royal family and mr erdogan form the most dangerous coalition in the ME. they are acting as if they have got rabies virus in their blood. uncle sam is pulling their strings and they are ready to bite anyone on their master's instruction.

Saudi does send food aid to Syria and Iraq. In conflict ridden nations, everything people are eating largely comes from UN/international aid. I've seen this myself in an area hit by crisis, there if flour, canned foods, crackers, vegetable oils and some rice given by UN for the people. And of course with armed groups on ground, they can get hold of these. What people are eating is irrelevant. This is a weak argument/accusation.

As for weapons, Iraqi army has M-16's for awhile now, anyone can get M-16's anywhere in the world. Arms industry is huge. Instead making claims like these, just state that your interests clearly don't coincide. It's not secret Saudi Arabia isn't pro-Iraqi gov't or pro-Iraqi militias that support the government.

So whats a Big deal ?With this shitty Iraqi army it would take 50 yrs to defeat ISIS .i think they got advisers from Hamid Karzai Govt do nothing just blame they think will be helpful like Afghanistan .

U dont need to explain anything all type to weapons r available in black market .

I think Iraqi gov't doesn't believe it can govern Sunni areas with success. Before ISIS came about, they were governing, and there were lots of demonstrations. People weren't getting along. Iraqi gov't also isn't welcome in Kurdish areas, because Kurds want to claim the oil there and have sense of sovereignty.

Ever since war in 2003, the fall of Saddam and rise of Shia's, everyone has this big mistrust of each other. And every ethnic group went about their own ways. Lots of paranoia and violence contributed to that. So sadly, what we see today is the least troubling option out of everything else. At least until people can grow past fears, form new government and speak in conciliatory tone, acknowledging Iraq as for all Iraq's.

Saudi does send food aid to Syria and Iraq. In conflict ridden nations, everything people are eating largely comes from UN/international aid. I've seen this myself in an area hit by crisis, there if flour, canned foods, crackers, vegetable oils and some rice given by UN for the people. And of course with armed groups on ground, they can get hold of these. What people are eating is irrelevant. This is a weak argument/accusation.

As for weapons, Iraqi army has M-16's for awhile now, anyone can get M-16's anywhere in the world. Arms industry is huge. Instead making claims like these, just state that your interests clearly don't coincide. It's not secret Saudi Arabia isn't pro-Iraqi gov't or pro-Iraqi militias that support the government.
So you try to defend al saud by saying that food sent for civilians without the cooperation with Iraqi government!!!!.

We know saudi regime support terrorism and also the turkey regime the Qatary regime and the UAE they all support terrorism.

Unfortunately our regime is acting cowardly other wise all these regimes should be hit hard and with no mercy.

I remembered in Al anbar province US marine corps failed with all theior resources and fire power i dont beleive this shitty iraqi army who is shia dominent plus no will to fight will able to defeat ISIS .

They did partially succeed, but they gave it to Iraqi gov't which had underdeveloped army. US forces had to stay longer, but the US government saw that corruption/governing incompetence was present in the newly arising society and didn't see worth in staying there. Probably knew it was going to turn out this way.

So you try to defend al saud by saying that food sent for civilians without the cooperation with Iraqi government!!!!.

We know saudi regime support terrorism and also the turkey regime the Qatary regime and the UAE they all support terrorism.

Unfortunately our regime is acting cowardly other wise all these regimes should be hit hard and with no mercy.

I'm pretty sure Iraq and Saudi Arabia do coordinate some efforts, they have talked before. If not, then it's from Syria which ISIS bringing into Iraq.

I think Iraqi gov't doesn't believe it can govern Sunni areas with success. Before ISIS came about, they were governing, and there were lots of demonstrations. People weren't getting along. Iraqi gov't also isn't welcome in Kurdish areas, because Kurds want to claim the oil there and have sense of sovereignty.

Ever since war in 2003, the fall of Saddam and rise of Shia's, everyone has this big mistrust of each other. And every ethnic group went about their own ways. Lots of paranoia and violence contributed to that. So sadly, what we see today is the least troubling option out of everything else. At least until people can grow past fears, form new government and speak in conciliatory tone, acknowledging Iraq as for all Iraq's.
No, you speak with knowledge about the situation in the country.

The problem is that the baath party still strong among sunnis even if they don't like it they scared of been targeted by the baathist.

otherwise many sunnis supporting the government and fight with armed forces.

this shitty iraqi army who is shia dominent
Watch your filthy tong don't call our armed forces shity I know you talk from a sectarian point of view you and your sectarianism go to hell we already defeated the sunni insurgency and we will rule.

I'm pretty sure Iraq and Saudi Arabia do coordinate some efforts, they have talked before. If not, then it's from Syria which ISIS bringing into Iraq.
There is no coordinations all about some wahhabi rats terrorists in our prisons the saudis want to free them.

No, you speak with knowledge about the situation in the country.

The problem is that the baath party still strong among sunnis even if they don't like it they scared of been targeted by the baathist.

otherwise many sunnis supporting the government and fight with armed forces.

You're getting too defensive, I'm not attacking the Iraqi people or bringing sectarian argument. I'm making same point that you're making, there is mistrust which can be seen by everyone. Primarily between Kurds, Sunni Arabs and Shia Arabs. Even if it's 50-50. It's big contribution to situation of country today.

There is no coordinations all about some wahhabi rats terrorists in our prisons the saudis want to free them.

Saudi Arabia-Iraq did have ties, albeit minor prior to most recent situation.

You're getting too defensive, I'm not attacking the Iraqi people or bringing sectarian argument. I'm making same point that you're making, there is mistrust which can be seen by everyone. Primarily between Kurds, Sunni Arabs and Shia Arabs. Even if it's 50-50. It's big contribution to situation of country today.
I try to say Sunnis live in fear by siding with the government the baath party as I said still strong they still organised and they still have their secret services and they commit all kind of crimes in the country in Baghdad itselve ISIS is the terrorist group of the baathist also money talks with money you buy some people mainly tribal shaikhs general in the army politicians and so on.

The arab regimes in the gulf spending big bucks to bring the baath back to rule they want dictators in the arab world and even the islamic world so no one will convince me that these regimes wont do every thing possible to keep iraq in chaos or syria, lebanon syria tunis egypt.

I'm not to defensive and I didn't say anything to you offensive or irrespective.

I try to say Sunnis live in fear by siding with the government the baath party as I said still strong they still organised and they still have their secret services and they commit all kind of crimes in the country in Baghdad itselve ISIS is the terrorist group of the baathist also money talks with money you buy some people mainly tribal shaikhs general in the army politicians and so on.

The arab regimes in the gulf spending big bucks to bring the baath back to rule they want dictators in the arab world and even the islamic world so no one will convince me that these regimes wont do every thing possible to keep iraq in chaos or syria, lebanon syria tunis egypt.

I'm not to defensive and I didn't say anything to you offensive or irrespective.
Do you think Saudi played vital role in destablizing Iraq and involve in killing of US soldiers in Iraq ?. And democracy in Iraq is flourishing ? and in future will be cause to the union of all ethnic groups in Iraq ?

Do you think Saudi played vital role in destablizing Iraq and involve in killing of US soldiers in Iraq ?. And democracy in Iraq is flourishing ? and in future will be cause to the union of all ethnic groups in Iraq ?

1-Destabilizing IRAQ yes.

2-Killing American soldiers no because their enemy wasn't the american soldiers they know the American wont stay idling if they know the Saudi regime involved in killing their soldiers.

3-democracy yes flourishing in Iraq and that the biggest problem for the monarchies in the region.

4-actually all ethnicities in Iraq so far united except the kurds because they want to separate in their own state.

Sunnis actually in general want democracy they don't want dictator regime they saw how Saddam run the country before so they got tired, but again they live in fear of been targeted by baathist and takfirees also don't forget the money poring on the baathist and takfirees and tribal chiefs.

the saudi royal family and mr erdogan form the most dangerous coalition in the ME. they are acting as if they have got rabies virus in their blood. uncle sam is pulling their strings and they are ready to bite anyone on their master's instruction.

If so how come uncle sam and the Russian bear are on the same page in Syria? Uncle sam has basically sided with the Russians in Syria by remaining 'neutral'. FSA, Turkey and KSA have been betrayed by uncle sam. Only a Russian stooge would say otherwise.

If so how come uncle sam and the Russian bear are on the same page in Syria? Uncle sam has basically sided with the Russians in Syria by remaining 'neutral'. FSA, Turkey and KSA have been betrayed by uncle sam. Only a Russian stooge would say otherwise.
uncle sam has played the sensible game here. if the russia wouldn't have jumped in the NATO would have bombed the assad's forces and let the terrorists do the rest of the job. just like they did with gaddafi. uncle sam is not neutral at all. they have supplied arms to rebels and isis directly and through saudia and turkey. US and russia are not at the same page. you are the only one who thinks they are on the same page.US supported rebels against assad. russia bombed rebels in support of assad. how come they are on the same page. the reason why america has taken back seat is that they simply don't wanna mess with russia instead they would like saudia and turkey to face the russian aggression in case of a full blown war. they will support saudia and turkey but it will be these countries that will be destroyed. i wish God to give some sense to saudis and erdogan.

Here this should help you...
How Barack Obama turned his back on Saudi Arabia and its Sunni allies | Middle East | News | The Independent

here's the main Article..
President Obama’s Interview With Jeffrey Goldberg on Syria and Foreign Policy - The Atlantic

uncle sam has played the sensible game here. if the russia wouldn't have jumped in the NATO would have bombed the assad's forces and let the terrorists do the rest of the job. just like they did with gaddafi. uncle sam is not neutral at all. they have supplied arms to rebels and isis directly and through saudia and turkey. US and russia are not at the same page. you are the only one who thinks they are on the same page.US supported rebels against assad. russia bombed rebels in support of assad. how come they are on the same page. the reason why america has taken back seat is that they simply don't wanna mess with russia instead they would like saudia and turkey to face the russian aggression in case of a full blown war. they will support saudia and turkey but it will be these countries that will be destroyed. i wish God to give some sense to saudis and erdogan.

Do you think only KSA and Turkey will be destroyed? Has Syria been spared from destruction? Did you ever warn Asad of this consequence? Is it worth ruling over a divided and ruined nation?

How Barack Obama turned his back on Saudi Arabia and its Sunni allies | Middle East | News | The Independent

Back
Top Bottom