Iraq-Iran War, Who won?

Who won the Iraq-Iran War?

• Total voters

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This is just a Forum survey to see what members here think who was victorious in the Iraq-Iran war in 1980-1988. Please provide your honest opinion.

Do not troll, this is a survey.

No side won.

Iraq (Saddam) didn't achieve any of its pre-war goals, and they were on the defensive for approx. 6 years. Iran on the other hand successfully managed to liberate its territory, push the Iraqis on the defensive and shift the battle to Iraqi soil, but they eventually failed to reach Karbala, or any other war-goal they had.

both side lost. this war set 2 great muslim nations decades back.

Iraq was able to gain the upper hand for the first few years but after '83 they remained on the defensive throughout the whole war.
Considering how the odds were against Iran and how they managed to stay on the offensive from that year,I think its better to say that Iran won,but Iraq rebuilt itself in a very,very short amount of time.But then again in the end, they were back to status quo ante bellum.

lol @ Mosamania the saudi wahabi saying Iraq won!

On what planet was that a victory? Saddam attacks Iran, FAILS IN EVERY objective that he set, destroys his entire country, puts his country into massive debt and finally bankrupts Iraq totally... Iraq's GDP only returned to pre-war levels in 2007 I believe and that's only because of American oil firms!

Iran didn't gain anything in the traditional sense of gaining war booty, but at least Iran was the one on the defense and the one fighting while being under international embargo. Iran's first objective was not losing any territory and in that Iran came out victorious.

It was a stupid war and USA was the only winner.

P.S. I just like to remind fellow forumers about Mosamania's famous quote:

"all shias should be burned"

carry on.

Iraq was able to gain the upper hand for the first few years but after '83 they remained on the defensive throughout the whole war.
Considering how the odds were against Iran and how they managed to stay on the offensive from that year,I think its better to say that Iran won,but Iraq rebuilt itself in a very,very short amount of time.But then again in the end, they were back to status quo ante bellum.

After 82. Khoramshahr was liberated in 82.

Iran also had control over the Faw peninsula in Iraq until the Iraqi forces finally cleared out the Iranian forces by the end of the war. Iran had major arms shortages by the end of the war and couldn't control the gained territory.

Iraq had the upper hand initially. It made great advances into Iranian territory. Also it had better weaponry. But Iran held on to its defences and was able to win back its territory. So personally, I feel that iran won.

Though this war damaged both the countries pretty bad.

Nobody won but it was a bigger disaster for Iraq

Back
Top Bottom