What's new

Iranian military engine development news and updates

Below you can see a poster from a 2014 exhibition showing a J-90 jet engine project. Not much is known about this project but it could be a turbofan version of the owj project. But this is just speculation:

Image_4~3.jpg

too powerful and too Fuel hungry for UAV's like Shahed or Fotros you may use it on Something like RQ-170 copy but not Shahed-129. when we can build it for Soomar, then why not build a more durable one for making a more capable UAV.

I was thinking more about larger stealth UCAV. next gen shahed and fortos will probably be much bigger and as for engine, they will make engines for them with no problem. I think we need to focus on the stealth UCAV projects now. But I am going off topic here.

I bet f5 will disintegrate if you put RD93 instead of J85 inside it and also the airplane is physically incompatible with rd93 unless you leave around 1m of the engine outside the airplane.
I figure you would end up with something like the F-20 Tigershark, which used a General Electric F404-GE-100 turbofan. The South Korean FA-50 uses a General Electric F404-GE-102.

8645214724_5ca78592a2_b.jpg

1024px-F-20_Tigershark_display_at_California_Science_Center_Los_Angeles.jpg

J-85
  • Length: 45.4–51.1 in (115–130 cm) (depending on accessory equipment installed)
  • Diameter: 17.7 in (45 cm)
RD-33
  • Length: 4,229 mm (166.50 in)
  • Diameter: 1,040 mm (40.94 in)
F404-GE-402
  • Length: 154 in (391 cm)
  • Diameter: 35 in (89 cm)
f404_j79.gif

northropf5etiger2upgrad.jpg

7-1.jpg

Last edited:
Similarly, Mirage F1Z upgraded by the French Aerosud company with RD-33 and Archer AAM
A05A331F5.jpg

Atlas Cheetah (Mirage III derivate) upgraded by the South Africans with RD-33
Super%252520Cheetah%252520D%2525202.jpg

Very good news guys:

DM: Iran to Mass Produce Heavy Turbojet Engines in 2 Years

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan announced that the country will mass produce heavy turbofan and turbojet engines in the next two years.
"The next step is to design and manufacture heavy turbojet and turbofan engines which we expect to yield its results in the next two years," General Dehqan said on Tuesday, in a ceremony held to appreciate the designers and manufacturers of the first national aircraft turbojet engine dubbed as Owj.

The Iranian Defense Minister described Owj as the country's national pride and a launch-pad for designing and manufacturing heavy airplane turbojet and turbofan engines.

General Dehqan noted that 30 knowledge-based companies and 10 universities have cooperated with the country's Defense Industries and Air Force to manufacture national turbojet engine.

In late August, Iran unveiled its first national turbojet engine in a ceremony in Tehran participated by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.

The turbojet is an air breathing jet engine, usually used in aircraft. It consists of a gas turbine with a propelling nozzle. The gas turbine has an air inlet, a compressor, a combustion chamber, and a turbine (that drives the compressor).

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13950623001151

Last edited:
upload_2016-9-13_13-0-58.png

Iran has already built a larger Turbojet engine and a turbofan engine and in the next 2 years they should be going into production.

Once your able to produce a turbojet engine you not that far off from producing a turbofan engine specially since other countries have done most of the work for you (in terms of design)

Just as before Iran's access and ability to mass produce superalloys like high grade nickel, titanium, etc... (metallurgy) remains a problem that is slowly being resolved. If all sanctions are lifted Iran should have no problem in mass producing Turbofan engines but strategically Iran should be resolving these matter through domestic production regardless of the costs.

Very good news guys:

DM: Iran to Mass Produce Heavy Turbojet Engines in 2 Years

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan announced that the country will mass produce heavy turbofan and turbojet engines in the next two years.
"The next step is to design and manufacture heavy turbojet and turbofan engines which we expect to yield its results in the next two years," General Dehqan said on Tuesday, in a ceremony held to appreciate the designers and manufacturers of the first national aircraft turbojet engine dubbed as Owj.

1st 3D Printed Jet powered UAV

Which countries produce turbofans for use on fighter aircraft. High performance reliable ones.
(Even Pakistan makes small turbofans for cruise missiles.) I'm talking about aircraft

Can we keep this thread about Iran's military jet engine news and updates please. Lets not take thread off track. If you have a question, open a thread etc.

Which countries produce turbofans for use on fighter aircraft. High performance reliable ones.
(Even Pakistan makes small turbofans for cruise missiles.) I'm talking about aircraft

USA
Russia
UK
France
Sweden
Ukraine (For Civilian Aircraft & plans for producing a Turbofan engine for fighter jet in the future)
Canada
Germany
Japan
China
India
And now Iran

Are all capable of building jet engines for aircrafts

And the list is much larger for smaller jet engines for cruise missiles like Pakistan, Brazil, Turkey,...

What stage is Iran at turbine metallurgy wise ?

XdP34O.png

What stage is Iran at turbine metallurgy wise ?

4 years ago my dormitory mate , who was graduating in Mechanics of manufacturing and production field , talked about his scientific tour to MAPNA Turbine Engineering and Manufacturing Company (TUGA) located in industrial city of Karaj.
He told me about the manufacturing of a Superalloy blade being produced there which can be used in electric , nuclear , gas fueled power plants. 4 years ago!.
Our problem is not manufacturing engines or their high TECH requirements but the main problem is mass production of those engines coz it needs some years of financing. I meant we have built them many years ago. Overhauling the legendary & lovely Tomcats is a God dam GIANT AND BIG witness for you. The only remaining things of Tomcat is probably it's air-frame :) obviously it's other components should be changed after 40 years otherwise it was unable to fly.
A view of MAPNA company :
Capture.PNG

Back
Top Bottom