What's new

Iranian fashion: between the veils

Dem!god

Reaction score
Country
India
Between 1936 and 1979, when hijab was not in force, family albums capture Iranian women's embrace of western fashion, as seen in movies, magazines and embodied by a succession of fashionable queens

45859761-941e-4519-9897-b1e4ad1d03c0-318x480.jpeg

My Grandmother. Photograph: Hyacinth Sonbol/GuardianWitness
d7ee2136-a060-4da9-83c6-620a1f68f154-620x485.jpeg

Family photo in Isfahan. Photograph: Courtesy of Kamin Mohammadi
c34876c6-d32c-499f-a5b9-ac04dade46d3-303x480.jpeg

My mom Farah in the 1940's at a party in Tehran. Photograph: Ali Divani/GuardianWitness
662db134-fbd3-4659-b965-5618781dde00-620x372.jpeg

Resort 1968? Afsar, Mammad, Golnoush, Ahmad and Talat Joon at the Caspian Sea. Photograph: Courtesy of Kelly Niknejad
1981c893-e251-41fb-a7d8-272224817d7b-460x344.jpeg

Wedding party 1975. Photograph: Guardian Witness
498f141c-626d-44bc-b5db-152ae2ee0069-324x480.jpeg

My grandmother in a studio photo post-1936. Photograph: Courtesy of Naghmeh Sohrabi
b58048a3-1856-4925-9355-3855e9e971b9-320x480.jpeg

My grandmother and grandfather, post 1936. Photograph: Courtesy of Naghmeh Sohrabi
4da2a5e1-f78d-468b-9bd5-ea85257b0be8-427x480.jpeg

Fashion fit for a queen. Photograph: Courtesy of Bani Christopher

174d922c-5343-4680-abcd-855ab9c5ec71-360x480.jpeg

Khaleh Effie and friend, 1960's. Photograph: Courtesy of Bani Christopher
c073dddc-7fb2-4781-9d68-e5764cf7dc94-460x276.jpeg

Timeless chic, 1970s. Photograph: Courtesy of Sheida Jafari
Iranian fashion: between the veils | World news | theguardian.com

I do believe these have been posted many times before. And I think these pictures depict a class of the overall society anyway.

I'd like to see pictures of a train station, where one can judge how the common people dressed.

Now I'm not saying the OP has misinterpreted the pictures, as he's clearly talking about fashion here.

sudden interest in Iran??? :P
lol...I was doing some research yesterday nite.....and found Persian are among one of the most beautiful girls.......:p:
and these things amused me how a liberal and bright and modern society are being pushed back in times and becomes so, conservative, tough and illiberal .....not only for girls but also for boys......
iran has one of the highest no. of girls enrolled in higher education..... mostly in medical....so, I thought to post these.....
beauty always attract men.....:D:D

lol...I was doing some research yesterday nite.....and found Persian are among one of the most beautiful girls.......:p:
and these things amused me how a liberal and bright and modern society are being pushed back in times and becomes so, conservative, tough and illiberal .....not only for girls but also for boys......
iran has one of the highest no. of girls enrolled in higher education..... mostly in medical....so, I thought to post these.....
beauty always attract men.....:D:D

Contradiction???

Its not black and white my friend. Secondly, Iranians generally speaking are pretty civilised, non-tribal mentality people. That automatically means they will remain more progressive than just about everybody surrounding them. This is not to say I don't consider the mullah regime a drag. I do.

beauty always attract men
Exactly , no offence intended but we dont like others (foreigners) to be attracted to our women !!!
cause we are muslims !! islam contradicts liberalism . liberalism is made for and by western countries , but we have a 7000 yrs of culture , so we must define how they should act and we should be a model for them , not them for us !!!

also , let me explain about the pics :

1- these pics are mostly from the Elite parts of iran (the king's family) not the ordinary people . cause iranian people where struggling with rough poverty during shah's time due to his indifference towards people .

he just wasted millions and millions of $ on his daily life .

2- before the revolution iran was a poor , retarded (in science) country , now iran has the highest science production in muslim countries .

iran produces 2% of the worlds science which is 0.6 % higher than the whole arab world . we currently have the world's highest pace in science production rate .

3- we are muslims and we have a 7000 yr old history , our people had hijab for thousands of years , and i'm proud to announce that there was no timeline in iranian history were my people where atheist or sth .

we always believed in the almighty lord , so count this on cultural difference ;)

These are the products of a dictator's enforced secularism. There are photos taken from the Soviet enclave from Kabul and presented as the 'liberal' Afghanistan for propaganda purposes. Shah of Iran's secularization project failed miserably and the same people kicked him out after they realized how big of a threat his wild pseudo western ideals were to the otherwise well evolved Iranic culture.

These are the products of a dictator's enforced secularism. There are photos taken from the Soviet enclave from Kabul and presented as the 'liberal' Afghanistan for propaganda purposes. Shah of Iran's secularization project failed miserably and the same people kicked him out after they realized how big of a threat his wild pseudo western ideals were to the otherwise well evolved Iranic culture.
the same goes for everyone in this region !

every single country from iran to pakistan and afghanistan and others have a history and culture much more rich than its western rivals .

our cultures cannot be overthrown by west no matter how hard they try

the same goes for everyone in this region !

every single country from iran to pakistan and afghanistan and others have a history and culture much more rich than its western rivals .

our cultures cannot be overthrown by west no matter how hard they try

We won't give up our culture for a universe!

Back
Top Bottom