What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Even Janes international with their biased history towards Iran have made it very clear this a purely Iranian designed system. Thanks for posting Soheil.

Iran Can Now Detect U.S. Stealth Jets at Long Range
New over-the-horizon radar negates stealth advantage

p1526384.jpg

13930312140204874_Photo_L.jpg

Ismaeli described the complex of wire nets and buildings as the Ghadir radar, Iran’s first operational over-the-horizon sensor. OTH radars can detect stealthy and small targets at very long ranges, regardless of the target’s altitude.

It’s a capability that promises to dramatically improve Iran’s ability to detect and defend against an aerial attack, potentially altering the military balance of power in the Persian Gulf.

For years, OTH radars have formed the back bone of territorial defense for the world’s superpowers. The United States currently operates an OTH radar network that can spot target as far as 3,000 kilometers from U.S. shores.

Australia, a potential target of Chinese strategic bombers, has the new Jindalee OTH sensor, with a similar range.

To achieve such incredible performance, OTH radars take advantage of a unique natural phenomenon. Instead of emitting radio waves directly into the target space, OTH radars blast very long wave pulses into the ionosphere.

Waves of certain frequencies bounce back down to the target area, enabling the radar to look at objects from above and identify them even behind ground terrain such as hills and mountains.

In addition to detecting stealth warplanes, OTH radars can also pick out ballistic missiles and even satellites in low orbit. Their long range makes them impervious to small-scale attacks by anti-radiation missiles and jammers.

On the down side, OTH radars are bulky, immobile and imprecise. The distance error in detecting a typical target can be as high as a kilometer. OTH radars also need enormous power sources.

1*WJof9bIguRRo3Q-AQwN01w.jpeg

Ghadir radar. FARS News photo
Compared to other countries’ OTH radars, Ghadir seems to possess modest performance. Ismaeli claimed it has an 1,100-kilometer range and a maximum detection altitude of 300 kilometers.

Ghadir has four transmitters for 360-degree coverage, but given the huge amount of energy they require, it’s not clear that all four can broadcast at once. The phased-array layout closely resembles the Soviet Duga-3 radar near Chernobyl, perhaps indicating a fairly old-style design.

https://warisboring.com/iran-can-now-detect-u-s-stealth-jets-at-long-range-765efd6253e2#.p3iqpxx9j

Sepehr, nicknamed 'Ghadir', is an Iranian over the horizon radar, part of Iran's Sepehr Phased Radar System. Sepehr is a 360°, 3D-radar, with a ceiling of 300 km, and a maximum range of 1,100 km. You can hear a high and a low tone, corresponding to the sweep rates of 870 and 307 sweeps/sec. sent in two separated bursts.

Unlike other OTHR's, Sepehr doesn't use FMCW modulation. Instead, it uses a shaped pulsed system which makes the edges of the signal hard to define. Because of this, the bandwidth of this signal can vary greatly, ranging from around 60 kHz to splattering over 1MHz, depending on the power of the received signal for the user.
IranOTH.png

http://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Sepehr_'Ghadir'_OTH_Radar

Ghadir radar can detect all aerial targets, including cruise and ballistic missiles, stealth drones, as well as low-altitude satellites.

No, sayyad-2 (looks nothing like sayyad-2) and 3 are part of the talash air defence system. This white missile was parade as Bavar-373's missile.

The picture you posted of the white missile from the exhibition, there was another pic that showed a part of its behind and you could clearly see that it matched the one they paraded. The white missile and sayyad-3 have similar fin section, but the front of the white missile aka sayyad-4 is different. Sayyad-4 has a more curved shape as you go along the missile, sayyad-3 is straight and also apparently smaller.

Nevertheless, you are correct that sayyad-4 certainly will have anti ballistic missile capabilities, even sayyad-3 with range of 200km should have such capabilities.
If we go by the names I can say that Sayad 4 has a 400 km range, since Sayad 2 has 200, km and Sayad 3 most probably 300km range.. I have also heard before that Bavar-373 would have anti-satellite missiles ..well at least for low orbiting ones!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say there are "many" similarities, but the nose shape is definitely similar.

48N6E3-Cutaway-Almaz-Antey-1S.jpg

These similarities that exists between missile are more coincidental than anything else based on similar design parameters that went into creating them. If sayyad-4 missile was straight like the sayyad-3 then could compare it to other straight missile, thus these similarities are very minor. Important aspects such as the fin section are completely different.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say there are "many" similarities, but the nose shape is definitely similar.

48N6E3-Cutaway-Almaz-Antey-1S.jpg
Its not just the tapering nose you also have the long cable duct on the body as well,its pretty obvious that the white sam is either a very close copy or has been directly inspired by the 48N6 sam

If we go by the names I can say that Sayad 4 has a 400 km range, since Sayad 2 has 200, km and Sayad 3 most probably 300km range.. I have also heard before that Bavar-373 would have anti-satellite missiles ..well at least for low orbiting ones!

Well I am not sure, but to be frank, 400km seems too much. I think sayyad-2M (newer version) is around 60-120km, sayyad-3 is 200km and sayyad-4 is around 300. But we won't know till they officially release such info, or they may not release them at all!

Its not just the tapering nose you also have the long cable duct on the body as well,its pretty obvious that the white sam is either a very close copy or has been directly inspired by the 48N6 sam

What is with your obsession with s-300 that you try to link everything to do with bavar to it? Yeah it is a direct copy or inspired even though the fin section is completely different. Sayyad-3 also has the "cable duct" so by your logic it is also based on the 48N6.

Last edited:
Why don't Pakistan and Iran have good defence relations ?? Now that sanctions lifted Pakistan can offer cheap fighters eg jf 17 , weapons guided bombs tot apcs etc and Iran can offer sam etc they have common problems eg Baluchistan and pipeline on between and cultural links and for Iran this is second largest shia population (if that interests them) then why ? Is it Indian meddling ( just asking) because look in past we helped each other before and after 79 and pak was first to recognize Iran new gov in 79 Pakistan can help them in their aviation missilr heck even nuclear programs then WHY

WHY, now that sanctions are lifted? during the sanctions iran needed support he got nothing !!

WHY, now that sanctions are lifted? during the sanctions iran needed support he got nothing !!
Well Pakistan could not do anything heck our people suffered because we need your gas trust me when I say I mean like NEED IT now project is back on track

Well I am not sure, but to be frank, 400km seems too much. I think sayyad-2M (newer version) is around 60-120km, sayyad-3 is 200km and sayyad-4 is around 300. But we won't know till they officially release such info, or they may not release them at all!

The S-200D had already a 400km range in 1976.. Iran had modernised its S-200 (do not know which version it had tough!) system to cover for long range air defense in combination with Talash 1 and 2 that cover short and medium range..

The S-200D had already a 400km range in 1976.. Iran had modernised its S-200 (do not know which version it had tough!) system to cover for long range air defense in combination with Talash 1 and 2 that cover short and medium range..

Bro, The s-200 is a huge missile! I am not talking about capability bro, Iran could with relative ease make longer range missile, but whether they did use a 400km ranged missile in Bavar, it remains to be seem.

Also, you need to note than the "Talash" is not a name of a missile but an air defence system. If you want more info, I found that this thread was opened about it.

https://defence.pk/threads/irans-talash-airdefence.395070/

Simply put, Talash is a name for the whole air defence system including radars, command vehicle etc but its missiles are the Sayyad-2 and 3.

Talash 3 had s-200 in it, but the final and ultimate Talash air defence system was just called "Talash", think of it as Talash 4, and in this final version the s-200 missile was removed and replaced with the indigenous, long range sayyad-3.

Bro, The s-200 is a huge missile! I am not talking about capability bro, Iran could with relative ease make longer range missile, but whether they did use a 400km ranged missile in Bavar, it remains to be seem.

Also, you need to note than the "Talash" is not a name of a missile but an air defence system. If you want more info, I found that this thread was opened about it.

Simply put, Talash is a name for the whole air defence system including radars, command vehicle etc but its missiles are the Sayyad-2 and 3.

Talash 3 had s-200 in it, but the final and ultimate Talash air defence system was just called "Talash", think of it as Talash 4, and in this final version the s-200 missile was removed and replaced with the indigenous, long range sayyad-3.
Thanks, I am aware of the Talash being an air defense system using the Sayyad series missiles, it is a great system that cover the whole air defense spectrum from low and medium altitude to very high altitude..
My thinking of Sayyad 4 That it might have a 400km range is also based on the rejection by Iran of the S-400 system , because it won't add much more to the capabilities of the New Bavar-373..

What is with your obsession with s-300 that you try to link everything to do with bavar to it? Yeah it is a direct copy or inspired even though the fin section is completely different. Sayyad-3 also has the "cable duct" so by your logic it is also based on the 48N6.
Sayyad three doesnt have both the tapered nose and the cable duct only sayyad 4 does and both of these are prominent features on the 48N6 which we know iran had access to and in my book thats more than a coincidence.It seems for whatever reason that you dont even want to consider the very possible fact that iran may have borrowed not only concepts such as the separate fire control and search radars but also technology like the 48N6/Sayyad 4 from the s300,I`m not linking everything to do with bavar with the s300 there are original features altho just how many its hard to say at this point.
Also that "cable duct" is exactly that a cable duct these are common on missiles in fact you can see them on irans medium range missiles they`re for carrying cables that cant be routed internally through the missile.

Ask Usrael (on the death row) in 1973 and its supporters (US) how easy it was to fight let alone "defeat", 2 Arab armies! or was it defeated_ had to threaten with (American) nuclear bombs_ Before that the Arabs were fighting France, England through their proxy Usrael....
You are most probably missing some facts about the Arabs.. read about Bosnia and what they have done to the Serbs in Bosnia on the ground, and that at a thousand kilometers from home..
Anyways, we are here to say congrats to Iran about another milestone great achievement..

BY arabs i mean arabs ARMY not, arabs heros hezbollah,hamas etc...

Arabs armies in second part of century was simply not professional enough, and not disciplined and committed to victory to win over israHELL, yet i agree in 73's israHELL own its survival only to US massive support and their nuclear deterrence, but then WHAT.?

what prevent arabs from fallowing ISRAHELLI EXEMPLE and developpe nuclear industrie like pakistan and iran ? what prevent them ? what prevent egypt from going nuclear ?? israel what a joke ? what prevented iraq from having the bomb saddam adventure in iraq and kuweit .... not israel; what prevent whabits to get the bomb ? tnothing !! arabs like to remain eternal victimes !

Mr butto said in 70's " our peoples will grass, if needed, and will be ungry, but PAKISTAN will get its own bomb" and 11 years later it got it !!!!

Khamenei made a big mistake by delaying nuclear weapons, for sanctions relief, BIG MISTAKE

Sayyad three doesnt have both the tapered nose and the cable duct only sayyad 4 does and both of these are prominent features on the 48N6 which we know iran had access to and in my book thats more than a coincidence.It seems for whatever reason that you dont even want to consider the very possible fact that iran may have borrowed not only concepts such as the separate fire control and search radars but also technology like the 48N6/Sayyad 4 from the s300,I`m not linking everything to do with bavar with the s300 there are original features altho just how many its hard to say at this point.
Also that "cable duct" is exactly that a cable duct these are common on missiles in fact you can see them on irans medium range missiles they`re for carrying cables that cant be routed internally through the missile.

It seems you are just trolling. Or maybe you're just really ignorant in this topic.
No matter what people try to tell you, it seems to just go through you. Just because the missile has a duct it does not mean anything nor does it mean much else if the shape of the missile seem to be slightly similar, as I explained earlier these are just coincident. Just like it is a coincident that sayyad-3 has a duct as well. The missile, sayyad-4 has a completely different guidance fin section, next you'll be claiming it is based on PAC-3 just because they have similar fin part. You are just making random claims, like it may have borrowed xyz, I bet even if they showed the inside, and it is 100% different, you'll just find something else to claim. Give it a rest.

S200 are for HEAVY but easy target, that cannot avoid missils and maneuver, not a reliate SAM against what US has !

Back
Top Bottom