What's new

Iran has fastest growth in height of men in the world, Dutch men still the tallest

Shapur Zol Aktaf

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
The height of men and women in the UK has increased by around 11 centimetres over the last century. But the nation with the tallest average height for men is the Netherlands, while the tallest average height for women is found in Latvia.

The largest ever study of global height found that in 2014, men in the Netherlands had an average height of 182.5 centimetres (5 feet, 11 inches).
The average female height in Latvia was 170 centimetres (5 feet, 7 inches).

The tallest nations worldwide are all found in Europe, and also include Estonia, Denmark, Servia and the Czech Republic. While the US had the third-tallest men and fourth-tallest women in the world back in 1914, the US has now slipped to 37th and 42nd place, respectively. British men are the 31st tallest worldwide, while British women are 38th.

“Our study shows the English-speaking world, especially the US, is falling behind other high-income nations in Europe and Asia Pacific,” said Majid Ezzati, a global health researcher at Imperial College London. “Together with the poor performance of these countries in terms of obesity, this emphasises the need for more effective policies towards healthy nutrition throughout life.”

The greatest height increases over the past century were seen in women in South Korea – who are now an average of 20.2 centimetres taller – and men in Iran, where the average male height has increased by 16.5 centimetres. Iran has also seen large improvements in life expectancy in recent decades, in part due to new rural health programmes.

But people are not getting taller everywhere. The average height of young men and women has decreased by as much as 5 centimetres in the past 40 years in some countries in sub-Saharan Africa, such as Sierra Leone, Uganda and Rwanda.

“The average height of some nations may even be shrinking while others continue to grow taller,” says Ezzati. “This confirms we urgently need to address children and adolescents’ environment and nutrition on a global scale.”

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ehind-in-largest-ever-global-study-of-height/

The nations with the tallest men in 2014 (1914 ranking in brackets):

1. Netherlands (12)
  2. Belgium (33)
  3. Estonia (4)
  4. Latvia (13)
  5. Denmark (9)
  6. Bosnia and Herzegovina (19)
  7. Croatia (22)
  8. Serbia (30)
  9. Iceland (6)
  10. Czech republic (24)
The nations with the tallest women in 2014 (1914 ranking in brackets):

1. Latvia (28)
  2. Netherlands (38)
  3. Estonia (16)
  4. Czech Republic (69)
  5. Serbia (93)
  6. Slovakia (26)
  7. Denmark (11)
  8. Lithuania (41)
  9. Belarus (42)
  10. Ukraine (43)

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36888541

Pakistan's average height decreased by 4 inches but it's still highest in the region (South Asia). Pakistan's average height will increase again; but height isn't really seen as important in Pakistan.

I'm glad to hear this news and hope Pakistan will follow.

Pakistan's average height decreased by 4 inches but it's still highest in the region (South Asia). Pakistan's average height will increase again; but height isn't really seen as important in Pakistan.

I'm glad to hear this news and hope Pakistan will follow.
4 inch is alot. May be it's due to contaminated food and low standard of living.

One main reason was due to cousin marriage.

Plus an increasing number of people are moving to cities where dietary habits are extremely unhealthy to say the least. Milk gives way to cola, dahi to chips. If i compare the healthy food we got in school in Sweden to the oily junk food like samose and burgers kids eat in "canteens" in Pakistan, no wonder Swedes grow so tall and Pakistanis stay short. Sure genetics may be a factor but so is diet and health.

joke:
like my father always says if you only had the IQ of your height :D
/joke

Plus an increasing number of people are moving to cities where dietary habits are extremely unhealthy to say the least. Milk gives way to cola, dahi to chips. If i compare the healthy food we got in school in Sweden to the oily junk food like samose and burgers kids eat in "canteens" in Pakistan, no wonder Swedes grow so tall and Pakistanis stay short. Sure genetics may be a factor but so is diet and health.

dunno we have many ppl in our village in turkey who are small but my family grows big... big feed and height.. can it be the amount of good baby food in our childhood + genetics?

joke:
like my father always says if you only had the IQ of your height :D
/joke

Lol, good one :lol:
My father comes to my shoulders.

j
dunno we have many ppl in our village in turkey who are small but my family grows big... big feed and height.. can it be the amount of good baby food in our childhood + genetics?

Village people that I have met from Pakistan tend to have good heights. From what I have read and experienced this may have a lot to do with dietary habits. In countries like Netherlands and also here in Sweden kids drink a lot of milk. In school we used to get milk with lunch as well, rather than just water, every single day (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34380895)

From my experience people in bigger cities like Lahore however have horrible dietary habits, with kids eating burgers and oily samose etc as staple diet. This must have had an impact on our stagnating growth.

Good for Iran.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/healt...rowth-chart/story-cvyMWQpfZMdvDIwjnswrAN.html

India's average height has improved thanks almost exclusively to the increasing governance reach of the Indian State which has steadily increased since 1947. Better transportation links coupled with State food shops being developed across the country so food is being transported from one area to another.

There are three major areas of concern for us:

The Indian State is still not reaching many major areas in Central and Eastern India where there is massive shortage of food. The growth of the reach of State is slower than desired.

Also some of the traditional dietary habits in may major areas are bad. With increasing prosperity people are just consuming more of the same without bringing variety in their diet. This is leading to chronic malnutrition despite consuming adequate calories.

Thirdly India has utterly horrible food storage infrastructure with almost 40% of the food being wasted.

The positive side is that these are now well known facts and being tackled steadily by the Govt. Our results would have a quantum jump in about a decade.

I am 5ft10in so pretty happy with my height yet still i feel like a midget compared to my brothers and father.
In reality it depends mostly on genetics and eating habbitis. Pakistani height has decreased bcz we are heavily dependent of packaged junk compared to fresh food that was available in the past. I must confess i became addicted to processed food and now i find to hard to gather taste for fresh stuuf. I still love fresh vegies from our farm in pakistan and one thing i miss the most.

I am 5ft10in so pretty happy with my height yet still i feel like a midget compared to my brothers and father.
In reality it depends mostly on genetics and eating habbitis. Pakistani height has decreased bcz we are heavily dependent of packaged junk compared to fresh food that was available in the past. I must confess i became addicted to processed food and now i find to hard to gather taste for fresh stuuf. I still love fresh vegies from our farm in pakistan and one thing i miss the most.
Whole US lives on junk packaged food. It about standard of food. Pakistanis eat poison. Even the basic staples are polluted.

Lol, good one :lol:
My father comes to my shoulders.

Village people that I have met from Pakistan tend to have good heights. From what I have read and experienced this may have a lot to do with dietary habits. In countries like Netherlands and also here in Sweden kids drink a lot of milk. In school we used to get milk with lunch as well, rather than just water, every single day (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34380895)

From my experience people in bigger cities like Lahore however have horrible dietary habits, with kids eating burgers and oily samose etc as staple diet. This must have had an impact on our stagnating growth.

Dude, even the milk is not pure. not to mention where meat comes from.

Back
Top Bottom