What's new

Iran and Pakistan- Prospects of future relations after the nuke deal

Serpentine

INT'L MOD
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
So, my dear Pakistanis, I'll get down to the nuts and bolts, without any introduction.

As you all know, after the nuclear deal (let's assume it materializes without any problems and that a next hawkish U.S president won't sabotage it which is unlikely), any obstacle in the way of Iran and Pakistan improving their economic relations will be removed, most importantly, the long awaited, and long delayed IP pipeline.

But the pipeline is only a part of the game, and there is a much broader scope and much more potential in economic relations: Given that Pakistan's Arab allies don't sabotage a pipeline or 'punish' Pakistan for cooperating with Iran, obviously, without any long term alternative for energy hungry Pakistan, let's imagine this pipeline is completed. There is tremendous potential in Iran's Sistan and Baluchestan province and Pakistan's Baluchestan. With Gwadar and Chabahar development speeding up, the whole area can witness huge economic boom, and in an ideal world, Gwadar and Chabahar Twin Ports, can make Dubai look like a walk in a park, considering their much much more strategic location compared to Dubai, which is what it is, simply because there was no serious rivalry, and of course, huge foreign investment.

Let's not consider these 2 ports as rivals for a second, but an opportunity, to develop an already underdeveloped region and to make up for at least some of the suffering that people in this region have gone through in decades.

I understand some Pakistanis may have some reservations about India using the port, but let's see, for once, the brighter side of the story, without any conspiracy theories, like, India wants to attack Pakistan from this port, wants to conquer Pakistan's Baluchestan, etc. Let's simply see it, as an opportunity, for developing India, who wants to increase its economic interest in Central Asia, like every other country. You know, this port is more important for Iran itself, than it is, for India, since it is our only oceanic port, and it can become the 'Shanghai of Iran'. So even if there is any truth to those conspiracies (which is very unlikely), Iran will never allow that to happen, since it will directly harm our interests, before it harms Pakistan.

Of course, this port will not be 'exclusively' used by India, there is much more than that. The whole Pakistani-Indian standoff over the Kashmir issue can be left behind the doors, in this very specific case, because this is a game that can have no losers, but all winners: Iran, Pakistan, India, China (and in the future, perhaps, the whole world).

IP pipeline is not the whole potential, but it can be a foundation, on which we can start building more and more. The most important requirement, is the political resolve by Indian and Pakistani officials, they should decide whether they want to chase each other and harm each other for eternity, or at least, in a very rare but positive move, they can both be winners.

Now putting India aside, Iran and Pakistan, among 2 most powerful Muslim countries, not only militarily, but most importantly, in terms of human resources and 'brains', which is the most influential factor, in development of a nation, can go much further than this state of relations, which is unfortunately, even behind the normal situation.

There is a very important factor: Unlike many countries in ME, Iran and Pakistan do not have any unsolvable issues, like border disputes, or ethnic and racial tensions, etc. Needless to say, we have had thousands of years of historical relations with each other, and we are from the same culture, and have been parts of the same empires for hundreds of years. Just look at Urdu language as an example and its proximity to Persian, nothing like this happens unless there is very strong shared history. The most detrimental force that is holding back Iran and Pakistan, ironically, are bunch of barefoot, foreign supported terrorists that are harming both countries, not just one. And this is absolutely nothing that can not be dealt with, it requires 2 things:

1- Cutting the sources of funds and arms, wherever they are coming from, which we all know somehow, and having a broad cooperation in countering terror activities. I know this has not happened yet, but maybe, the need for development of the area, can leave us with no other choice to cooperate in terms of military, joint operations and intelligence sharing. I know some bitter things have happened between us, but both sides are to blame, if we set aside our nationalistic stances for a moment.

2- I believe in the theory that says (my own theory :P), where the prosperity (development, investment and strong economic atmosphere) comes from a door, backwardness and terrorism will go out from the other.

Now take note that, both of the above factors, at the same time, are needed to solve the issue and only one approach doesn't work.

Iran can ensure energy security for Western and southwestern areas of Pakistan. One of the main obstacles for Pakistan in the path of development, is energy shortages, so, as a short term or maybe middle term solution, we can greatly help Pakistan in this area.

The economic relations between the countries sees a huge potential ahead, the most important factor is, we are neighbors, and before that, we are brothers from the same culture,history, linguistics and values. There was never a Sunni-Shia tension in Iran-Pakistan relations (we were the first to recognize Pakistan as a sovereign nation) and the whole terrorism we are seeing today in Pakistan and in Baluchistan, is from a virus that was brought to Pakistan from outside. Of course Pakistani previous leaders are greatly at fault. Had they only 1/10th of the truly beloved and great leader, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, in them, Pakistan would never be like this today. But it is nothing that can not be vaccinated, this virus can be eliminated, as soon as you 'decide' to completely eradicate the sources of infection in your country, those who are preaching nothing but hate and intolerance.

Neither Iran nor Pakistan deserve the current status quo, no matter how much mistakes we have had in the past. There are also long term opportunities (which can become a short term one if there is the will) that I didn't explain, like free trade agreements, joint free trade zones in Chabahar-Gwadar (Chabahar is already a free trade zone in Iran), an ecomoic corridor between Pakistan-Iran-Turkey, defense cooperation, joint military drills, and many other things.
---------------------------------------------------------
At the end, I ask Pakistani members (and also Iranians) to share their opinions and analysis about the future of Iran-Pakistan relations, in the post sanctions era.

@Irfan Baloch @Horus @Jungibaaz @WebMaster @Oscar @waz @Atanz @haviZsultan @beast89 @HAIDER @farhan_9909 @Desert Fox @DESERT FIGHTER @Peaceful Civilian @Jaanbaz @Ghareeb_Da_Baal @RAMPAGE @pakdefender @cb4 @Kharral @Donatello @Arsalan @WAJsal @Metanoia @LoveIcon
@Daneshmand @haman10 @rahi2357 @The SiLent crY @scythian500 @Arminkh

And any other whom I may have forgot.
-------------------------------------------------------
Please keep the thread clean from any hate contest or a troll war and let's share our disagreements in a civilized manner.

Last edited:
ECO should become our focus now.

ECO_Map.png

Our slavish rulers and policy makers who under the influence of Saudi Arabia and US have disregarded national interest for years by delaying this gas pipeline from Iran now may also find other lame excuse. These fools have wasted years by not completing this pipeline and supplying gas to desperate Pakistanis. They can stand against the world by supporting Talibans but not for this gas pipeline that would have served millions of Pakistanis.

ECO should become our focus now.

Pakistan has wasted two decades by not focusing on ECO while focusing on our failed Afghan policy. Now the policy makers waking up to what rational Pakistanis were telling the establishment for years and were accused of being Afghanis !

Last edited:
Damn bro that's a Bigass post ..:lol:

Anyways on topic... We don't feel Chahbahar port is s rival ... Anyways..

Here is the latest on IP pipeline :

Work to begin soon on Iran-Pakistan pipeline: Abbasi | BUSINESS - geo.tv

Next stop should be converting that MOU on oil refinery to reality...

As for the arabs and Iran issues... It's not our business. Which was demonstrated successfully by not sending PAK troops to fight in Yemen... Holding joint naval ex .. Etc etc..

Hope for a bright future.. A new era of Pak-Iran cooperation.. Better relations than even the shahs era...

I agree with what you have said.

Let us be united for the sake of development. Both countries should address each other's concerns and remove the obstacles in the path of a truly great partnership.

I want to see Iran as our strategic partner and friend.

Anyways on topic... We don't feel Chahbahar port is s rival

Afghanistan is best served by using Karachi port with the railway link to the Afghan border. But our short sighted leaders have used this transport corridor to blackmail Afghanistan which resulted in Chahbahar development and highway link to Afghanistan.

I would like to see an increased cooperation in the fields of sciences and engineering between Pakistan and Iran. I can not stress enough importance on engineering.

In my opinion Iran has learnt a lot and is to some extent quite a self-reliant country due to the sanctions and international isolation.

I would also like to see an increased cooperation in the field of education between the two countries.

Friendship is a two way street my friend. There is nothing for Iran to loose here but everything for us to loose in case India gets it's foothold in our backyard. Pakistan has never accepted Indian hegemony in this region before and we will do our best to stop it from growing in the future.

There is definitely tremendous potential here for both countries. Linkages wise for Iran to access China and for us to access Central Asia and beyond (Iran has excellent infrastructure). We should be a conduit for both Iran and SA (oil and gas) and not take pressure from any side as far as our Economic Development is concerned.

Gwadar is mainly catered to CPEC which no other country in the region can do. Any access it provides to Central Asia is dependent on how things shape up in Afghanistan, Good luck to Iranians and Chah bahar, it doesnt negatively affect CPEC, infact CPEC can link up with Iran and beyond.

The ECO countries are the ones which will directly benefit from CPEC and Iran's revival and ECO needs to be revived.

I agree with what you have said.

Let us be united for the sake of development. Both countries should address each other's concerns and remove the obstacles in the path of a truly great partnership.

I want to see Iran as our strategic partner and friend.

If you think Iran's current Shia Mullah regime will have goodwill feelings for a Sunni country than you are mistaken, forget about brotherly relationship just concentrate on our business interest with yet another foreign country. remember Iran is India's strategic partner.

If you think Iran's current Shia Mullah regime will have goodwill feelings for a Sunni country than you are mistaken, forget about brotherly relationship just concentrate on our business interest with yet another foreign country. remember Iran is India's strategic partner.

Don't be a sectarian...behave.

If you think Iran's current Shia Mullah regime will have goodwill feelings for a Sunni country than you are mistaken

Pakistan relations with Iran has always been above sectarianism propagated by Saudi Wahhabis.

remember Iran is India's strategic partner.

Saudis are also selling oil to India and have hundreds of thousands of Indians working in Saudi Arabia. Pakistan bad Afghan policy forced Iran-India temporary alliance.

Afghanistan is best served by using Karachi port with the railway link to the Afghan border. But our short sighted leaders have used this transport corridor to blackmail Afghanistan which resulted in Chahbahar development and highway link to Afghanistan.

Chahbahar has more to do with Iranian needs than Afghanistan.. And it was india that felt left out when Pak didn't give them a direct route (to indian trucks)...

Meanwhile Gwadar with serve CPEC and CARs (several of whom are already using it for imports)... Also look at the bigger picture... Wake up and see the geo political shift happening around you... Iran dialogue with Taliban... Afghan govt + taliban negotiations .. Mullah Omar supporting the process etx... indians have already started pulling out of Afgjsnistan .. Deals gone with the wind... Meanwhile China is stepping up its game in Afghanistan... With PAK holding influence..

Now with sanctions lifted from Iran... We can see more economic and cultural co o
operation with them ...

I'm excited to see how this will play out. Will Iran join Pakistan and secure economic future for itself or will it keep meddling around in the Middle East? People of Iran deserve better than the Mullahs, Chabahar and Gwadar may eventually combine because of their proximity if Iran or Pakistan have good relations.

@Serpentine
Excellent analysis.But I dont think they will convince in this matter.You can see that in this thread.
They will try to drag 'K' word in to this issue .
Lets wait and see.

Friendship is a two way street my friend. There is nothing for Iran to loose here but everything for us to loose in case India gets it's foothold in our backyard. Pakistan has never accepted Indian hegemony in this region before and we will do our best to stop it from growing in the future.

There you goes :D

Back
Top Bottom