What's new

National Air Defense Command (NADCOM) - Updates & Discussions.

Some of our younger forum members, primarily Pakistani, are not thinking about this procurement, as with other procurements, as a "system" and that this "system" is itself a component of a larger defense system - none of these will by itself change the security equation because our adversary will respond to this and adjust. The point I hope younger Pakistani readers will take from this post, is that there is no room for over confidence, that they think soberly --- 4 batteries or 4000 batteries, the problem to which we seek a reasonable solution, will not be solved by these numbers - So what will it take to create security for the Pakistani nation and state?

What we need is a deterrent and that is exactly what this SAM batteries offer us. India will know full well that if its Aircraft violate even an inch of Pakistani Air Space they will be shot down.

While we can't compete with India in terms of number of fighters, we can equalize the playing field by incorporating such weapon systems which renders their numerical superiority.

Main interest is in HQ-18/ 9 and contract is expected to be signed soon. Its improved version of FD-2000 (A variant) and tests witnessed by Pakistanis :)

Chinese SAM with AWACS systems , cold start will get a warm reply

Little solace if hostilities break out - I fully support a vigorous, robust defense capability for Pakistan, but it should go hand in hand with sincere diplomacy that gains consensus in Pakistan and abroad for the need to resolve problems and promote confidence. We can't just be answering provocations, we must seek to alter the paradigm such that Pakistani interests are furthered and the possibility of hostilities significantly reduced.

Whats the more favorable scenario to use these SAMS? put them right at the border to kill any intruder or use them few hundred kilometers deep to defend tactical installations. I hope second-scenario would consume lesser shots and we will be able to use available batteries for longer period of time in war. Also this would give our defending aircrafts a marginal area of roughly 100-200 KMs during which they can do their required job and if some intruder aircraft slips by, these SAMs would say "Hello" to it. HQ-9 is also an anti-ballistic missile SAM which justifies its use as more of a tactical defender instead of fence watcher.

I feel we should also have an outer circle of HQ-19 to make penetration of enemy-aircraft still more difficult. Also 4-6 of HQ9 would cover entire boundary from Kashmir to Karachi.

Last edited:
India has bought six S-300 batteries in August 1995 for $1 billion, probably the S-300PMU-2 version, believed to consist of 48 missiles per system. These will most likely be used in the short-range ballistic-missile defence (BMD) role against Pakistani Ballistic missiles.

Reference: S-300 (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With Indian use in view, it is more likely to be used as Missile Defence Shiled for us.

Seems like PAF is making sure the defense is left to the SAMs while our Combat aircraft take the fight to the enemy.

Before, the combat aircraft had too much to do, CAPs and offense missions.

We need 200 of these babies not 4. the way India is spending we need to have those a lot a lot more.....

Do this system provide "Anti-hacking" or ?

I remember somewhere, recent Israel easily hacked network of SAMs system when enemy unable to detect on the radar when Israel jets cross the border.

Also note, this 4 Chinese SAM system doesn't make secure of our sky. The world is moving forward closer to stealth fighters. This is not 1980s anymore.

I think, Pakistan need to invest on Anti-Stealth Radar systems (new technology) in detecting them.

agree :cheers::cheers::cheers::agree::agree::agree:

HQ 18 will do great job for pakistan airforce but we need more than 4 batteris atleast 15 to 20 pakistan need

Little solace if hostilities break out - I fully support a vigorous, robust defense capability for Pakistan, but it should go hand in hand with sincere diplomacy that gains consensus in Pakistan and abroad for the need to resolve problems and promote confidence. We can't just be answering provocations, we must seek to alter the paradigm such that Pakistani interests are furthered and the possibility of hostilities significantly reduced.

well said mate. i couldnt agree more.

Back
Top Bottom