What's new

India's Top Five Achievements Since Independence ( 1947 )

Another achievement is 1984 Operation Blue Star authorized by Indira Gandhi which succesfully crushed Sikh insurgency by attacking Amritsar.

She didn't crush it rather she helped starting it and it is one more reason why Indira Gandhi and Congress are hated today.. No one wanted such a shameless thing to happen except the lady and the party.

Another achievement is 1984 Operation Blue Star authorized by Indira Gandhi which succesfully crushed Sikh insurgency by attacking Amritsar.

not an achievement. We did the needful !!

Ditto. Operation Black Thunder.

Ditto. Kargil War

Ditto. Operation Safed Sagar

But military achievements come next to economy.

For, we were never seriously challenged militariliy.. a la ... threat to the whole country.

They were all restricted to the borders (or areas in other countries).

With security a given, focus should always be on the economy, welfare, advancement.

Here is my list of top 5 achievements

1. Operation Flood.
While green revolution changed the agricultral landscape, White revolution changed the the social landscape. Considering the time it was launched and given the orthodox society and position of women, it was an idea that taught women to stand on their feet and become financially independent. For athird world country it was nothing short of a miracle.

Dr.+Kurien%2527s+90th+Birthday.jpg

2. General Elections and Election Commission
In a world where Democracy is still a distant dream for lot of mankind, we have done well not just to preserve it but also contributing to its growth. General elctions or Dance of Democracy is a celebration of this rather rare feat of Indian society. Election commission owes a Lions share of credit for keeping our elections relatively clean and efficient. And yes how about the fact that EVMs aren't used anywhere on such a large and massive scale.

india-election-ayodhya.jpg

3. Indian Nuclear program
Probably one of the very few nuclear programs in the world that didnot start with sole intention of creating weapons. With very little help in this hi-end field India today has a proud and unmatched record of Safety in its nuclear plants and not to mention Non proliferation. BARC's contribution to agriculture (food irradiation), industry (Radio-isotopes, nano materials), Medicine (Radio-therapy) is of immense value considering that it saves a huge amount of foreign exchange.

TARAPUR_17891f.jpg

4. Railways
Ok thats from British Raj era, but even the erstwhile rulers wouldnot have imagined IR turning into a Giant it is now. Well the trains Don't always run of time, there are accident news more often than not, Political abuse by its ministers and so on, but one look at the numbers of IR and we may be forgiven to thinks that IR exists only for Trivia buffs.
To quote from India Today, What Keeps India moving, People persistance and Indian Railways.

Republic+Day+Parade+Celebration+Indian+Railway.JPG

5. Bollywood

Kynoki Hamare paas hindi cineMAA hai :yahoo:

Lights Camera Action...
nri_bollywood_movies_2011_collage.jpg

Guess this is why Shammi Kapoorji was crooning " Kis ko pyar karo..." :smitten:

:tup

Thanks for the nice post.

The very fact that we have managed to exist and be recognized as a nation,that too a good,positive one is the biggest achievement

a general English medium education syllabus of good standards
, i ve seen their books in jeddah my friend use to study in indian embassy school ,English, guided English,maths,science,social studies,history,geography with only one subject of hindi now thats one hell of an achievement these guys can basically communicate with the world with science,commerce & arts & thats the most important part
its the greatest achievement followed by, IT, green revolution & industrialization we use to make fun of the indian car ambassador but ignored the fact that while our beautiful Honda civics were imported their fat car was their own & it gave them a base & we see the results of that base today in the form of indica,palio,maruti,mahendra scorpio etc
& for that today i envy that very fat car

Very mature post sir.. put things in perspective

drunkards and idiots pulled us into the democratic fold when it was endangered in '78 by Indira :)

and most importantly,

A country with 4/5th Hindu population which has

1. Present Prime Minister : Non-hindu
2. Present Army General : Non-Hindu
3. Present Defence-Minister: Christian/Atheist
4. Missile-man : Non HINDU
5. Leader of the majority party : Christian/Italian :lol:

Present Missile Women.......................A Christian Married to a Hindu....................

drunkards and idiots pulled us into the democratic fold when it was endangered in '78 by Indira :)

and most importantly,

A country with 4/5th Hindu population which has

1. Present Prime Minister : sikh
2. Present Army General : Sikh
3. Present Defence-Minister: Christian/Atheist
4. Missile-man : Muslim
5. Leader of the majority party : Christian/Italian :lol:
6. Missile Woman : Christian ( Tessy thomas )
7. Chief Election Commissioner : Muslim

Present Missile Women.......................A Christian Married to a Hindu....................
Done :tup:

Damn I can see hindy baniya everywhere.. this evil brahmanic civilization must be erased :rofl:

@ XiNiX
I'd suggest following as Top five achievements in last 65 years.. These covers social uplift, welfare, well-being and technological advancement

1. Education/ Literacy
2. Green & white revolution
3. Eradication of major diseases - Small Pox, Leprosy and Polio etc.
4. Democracy, unity in diversity and stability
5. Nuclear program, space program and Telecom revolution

@ XiNiX
I'd suggest following as Top five achievements in last 65 years.. These covers social uplift, welfare, well-being and technological advancement

1. Education/ Literacy
2. Green & white revolution
3. Eradication of major diseases - Small Pox, Leprosy and Polio etc.
4. Democracy, unity in diversity and stability
5. Nuclear program, space program and Telecom revolution

Agreed.. however, leprosy is curable but not eradicated (yet).

Same for tuberculosis.

Tuberculosis and leprosy eradication should top the health programmes now, with polio gone recently.

Agreed.. however, leprosy is curable but not eradicated (yet).

Same for tuberculosis.

Tuberculosis and leprosy eradication should top the health programmes now, with polio gone recently.

Sir, I put Leprosy reduction/ elimination in achievement list because it was a curse to our society. If you pay attention you may find Kusth Rogi colony (set up early 70s) in out skirts of most of cities. Now we do not have that issue. So moving those people from isolation to main stream is a significant achievement.

Sir, I put Leprosy reduction/ elimination in achievement list because it was a curse to our society. If you pay attention you may find Kusth Rogi colony (set up early 70s) in out skirts of most of cities. Now we do not have that issue. So moving those people from isolation to main stream is a significant achievement.

That.. I do agree with.

In fact I haven't come across any "Kushth Rogi" or Leper in my life... and I have been to different cities in India; sometimes poor areas but mostly middle income neighbourhoods.

However, I have come across Tuberculosis ... and it's contagious via air; hence even more care.

Thankfully, in past few decades Tuberculosis is curable .. but non-completion of course can lead to multi-drug resistance.

I would really want.. TB to be eradicated (just like western countries where it no longer exists, practically). Lerprosys where ever it exists could also be eradicated, where ever it exists.

In my opinion the biggest achievment is General Elections

The worst failur is prevailing of cast based system mentality

Back
Top Bottom