What's new

India's First Nuke ICBM with composite rocket motor

Mister X

BANNED
Reaction score
India's First Nuke ICBM with composite rocket motor

b1845153fb5392b18341648c3b751d64.jpg

Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Country's First 3-Stage ICBM, Agni-V, To Test Within A Year, First To Have Composite Rocket Motors !

After the successful test of the long range Agni-III nuclear missile, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), is all set to have the first test flight of the 5000 plus kilometer range Agni-V within a year. Addressing a press gathering today, DRDO Chief and Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, Dr V K Saraswat said that the strategic Agni-V, "Is out of the drawing board and is into the metal cutting stage with its sub-systems being tested and would have its first flight trial within a year." It will fall in the category of the Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), and will be the country's first three-stage solid missile.

The Agni-V would have the same design as the Agni-III, with same payload which is 1.5 tons, length 17.5 meters, weight being 49 tons, and a diameter of two meters.

Agni-V will also see the maturing of the strategic missile program of the DRDO, as for the first time Indian defence scientists would graduate on to composite rocket motors from metallic rocket motors.

Expressing satisfaction over the recently concluded successful Agni-III test, thereby declaring the missile ready for induction in the Strategic Forces Command, Dr Saraswat said that DRDO was ready with building blocks of missiles which could be converted into weapon systems as and when required and there was no need to build and store missiles and that there were enough systems to meet the country's security requirements.

About China making anti-satellite missiles, Dr Saraswat said that, "Blocks are available with us today, but there was no program to test a direct hit , but there would be tests on electronic targets through simulations."

Chindits--Indian Armed Forces: Country's First 3-Stage ICBM, Agni-V, To Test Within A Year, First To Have Composite Rocket Motors !

I spent a few minutes interviewing Dr Avinash Chander, director of India's Agni missile programme (and Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory) on Wednesday evening. He is the country's most valuable rocket scientist today, but you wouldn't know it. Unassuming, quiet and supremely focused on his task, he's a man who has spent the last three years giving the Indian government options that it has never had before. And with the Agni-III strategic missile completing its testing stage and now ready for operational induction with India's Strategic Forces Command, it's time for the next big thing.

At this time next year, India will begin testing its longest range weapon yet, the newest in its Agni family of strategic ballistic missiles, named the Agni-V. According to DRDO chief Dr VK Saraswat, the country's seniormost weapon scientist, "The Agni-V has moved out of the drawing board. We have crossed the metal cutting stage. We are now testing and evaluating subsystems and plan to conduct a first flight trial within a year."

According to Dr Chander, the Agni-V will be 22-metres long and approximately 1-ton heavier than the Agni-III. The Agni-V's navigation system and warhead will be identical to the Agni-III, as will a great deal of subsystems, aggregates and electronics. The team has stated that 60 per cent of the first missile system is complete, while the remainder involves the crucial third stage of the missile. Dr Chander revealed today that the challenges that lied ahead include changes in the payload structure, introduction of extra heating and slight changes to the re-entry mechanism. The Agni-V will also be the first Indian missile with a composite rocket motor as opposed to a metallic one.

"The problems we had with previous tests of the Agni-2 and Agni-III were not design defects but problems with quality assurance. We have rectified those problems and don't foresee any such hurdles on the Agni-V," Dr Chander said.

Clarifying that India did NOT have an independent intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) programme, DRDO chief Dr Saraswat said, "The country's requirement right now is a missile with a range in the region of 5,000-km-plus. A missile with a range beyond this has not been identified as necessary for our strategic programme. However, we have the capability to build longer range missiles if the country calls upon us to do so. The building blocks are already in place."

Cocking a snook at the Chinese ballistic missile programme, Dr Chander told me, "I can say that our technology is maturer than theirs. And of course, there is no comparison at all with Pakistan. We are technologically way ahead of them. Of course, the Agni is our very own missile, not borrowed technology."

Agni-V Photo-impression by Shiv Aroor

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: 5,500-km Agni-V Takes Off In A Year

good news indeed... but i would like the range development to be capped here only....there is no need for greater range....

good news indeed... but i would like the range development to be capped here only....there is no need for greater range....

No, for our long terms needs, we should continue with missile development. Perhaps focusing on miniaturisation of the missiles, making them road mobile etc.

No, for our long terms needs, we should continue with missile development. Perhaps focusing on miniaturisation of the missiles, making them road mobile etc.

i do agree sir...i just said that there is no need for greater range...development should and must continue on other fronts...

we should work on plasma and ion propulsion technology for space application

Does Agni 3 not cover the whole of china? I think having ICBM in the Indian arsenal may hurt its relations with the west! India might not be able to get access to the western equipments.But if they want to develop ICBM i think they should keep these projects secret, just my opinion. Has agni-3 been inducted in the Indian army?

CHEERS!

^^WY WILL IT HURT HURT WEST, INDIA HAS NO ENEMITY WITH WEST
AND INDIA HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BECOME POWERFULL IN ALL TERMS

AND MY FRND IT IS THIS TRANSPARENCY TAT WEST'S CONFIDENCE HAS GROWN TOWARDS INDIA

^^WY WILL IT HURT HURT WEST, INDIA HAS NO ENEMITY WITH WEST
AND INDIA HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BECOME POWERFULL IN ALL TERMS

AND MY FRND IT IS THIS TRANSPARENCY TAT WEST'S CONFIDENCE HAS GROWN TOWARDS INDIA

No i think Western countries will have this thing in their minds. Right now every western country wants to sell its hi-tech equipment, but that might halt this process if India has ICBM, they will certainly think twice before selling equipments. just my thought! I am glad that India has good relations with the west and wish it would remain like that.

CHEERS!

No i think Western countries will have this thing in their minds. Right now every western country wants to sell its hi-tech equipment, but that might halt this process if India has ICBM, they will certainly think twice before selling equipments. just my thought! I am glad that India has good relations with the west and wish it would remain like that.

CHEERS!

WEST NEED US AND WE NEED THEM THIS IS THE TRUTH

we should work on plasma and ion propulsion technology for space application

India already have this facility up and running.

Plasma Ion implantation(PII) compels metal surfaces by high voltage acceleration of plasma ions from a conformal sheath makes the surface wear and corrosion resistant. Here we have developed a large 50kV Implanter using hard tube pulser and magnetically enhanced plasma density at normal and elevated temperatures. PII has high efficiency for nitrogen incorporation. Process development include nitriding of aluminium, titanium and chromium.

The Reactor

* A large vacuum chamber (1m diameter & 2m length) with plasma produced� by the impact ionization of neutrals by thermionic electrons.
* A magnetic cusp to enhance plasma density.
* A 50 kv� DC supply with a hard tube modulator, capable of delivering 5 amperes at variable repetition rates into the load.

Plasma Source Ion Implantation Reactor

Advantages

* IGBT based power electronics is also used with which the sample can be sequentially biased negative to positive.
* Dose uniformity and assured penetration of ion implantation and subsequent thermally enhanced diffusion of implanted ions inside the metal.
* Effective implantation depths & shorter processing times.

Process

In PSII the ions are accelerated through a surface-conformal sheath. This, as well as the ability to treat large areas simultaneously and at a relatively lower capital cost has rendered PSII an attractive technology for surface modification.

The surface bias and plasma conditions determine the ion energy and the dose at the surface, and may also increase the surface temperature. If the implanted ions diffuse inside the surface because of the surface temperature the temperature being raised either by external heating or by ion bombardment, then the process is termed as Plasma Immersion Ion Implantation (PIII).

S.I.D.H

PSII assures dose uniformity for the samples of complex shapes. However the penetration depths are determined by the kinetic energy of the ions and hence are less (~10A / keV for N+ on Fe). For higher depths, either the kinetic energy has to be increased, or the implantation ions have to undergo diffusion inside the sample. Glow Discharge Plasma Nitriding (GDPN) is a process in which nitrogen penetrates the sample only by diffusion. SIDH is a process which exploits the advantages of PSII (dose uniformity) and GDPN (penetration by diffusion).

In SIDH, the samples, immersed in nitrogen plasma, are typically pulsed biased to +/- 1kV. This enables penetration depths of� ~10A, which is generally thicker than the top oxide layer present in most samples. As the repetition rates on� the bias is very high, and there is also significant electron collection during the positive bias case, the sample temperature rises. The temperature� achieved is 400 - 500oC which is controllable by varying the on time to off time ratio. To achieve higher temperatures, an external heater is switched on and this allows treatment to be done at temperatures of 800oC.

By the SIDH process a variety of the steels have been treated. The H16 and SS321 samples on treatment show a load dependent micro hardness, which� is typical of a PSII treated specimen. With larger treatment times, the micro hardness increases�which is a feature of a diffusion based process. Surface hardness increase of� 5 - 6 times is observed at low loads, indicating that at the surface a very high hardness is formed. EN8, EN24 and SS304 also shows an increase of hardness of 2 - 4 times. Cross-sectional micro hardness shows that the treated layer�has a thickness of more than 50�.

There may be some advantages of the SIDH process over PSII and GDPN. If the implanted atom can diffuse inside the material (like nitrogen in steels), then it is necessary only to implant the material� to depths larger than the top oxide layer. The remaining depth can be penetrated by the diffusion. SIDH exploits this and hence can work in much lower energy range than PSII. Thus� the power� supply is simpler and cheaper, using only an IGBT based switching device instead of a tetrode. As the ion energies are less, the secondary electron emission from the sample surface and subsequent X-Ray generation is minimal. When compared to GDPN, SIDH works at a lower temperature and hence has lesser dimensional distortion of the sample. Also, in SIDH as the plasma production is unrelated with the sample bias,� the plasma densities can be made to be high enough and hence the ion flux to the sample can be controlled separately.

Applications

Corrosion inhibition by PIII | Nitrogen PSII on Titanium | High precision blades | PSII as a tool in Inter-disciplinary Research

Corrosion inhibition by PIII

Corrosion control of components made of alloy steels has been� a problem in Surface Engineering. To prevent corrosion a study was undertaken to see the effects of PIII on the corrosion rate of a wide variety of steels. The untreated side of these samples showed the formation of rust. However the treated side of these samples treated at 200 oC indicated some rusting.
Steels Treated Cr C Mo Ni Mn UsedIn
SAE 8620 0.4- 0.6 0.18 - 0.25 0.15 - 0.25 0.4 - 0.7 ��---�� guide pillar and bush
EN24 0.9- 1.4 0.35 - 0.75 0.2 - 0.35 1.3 - 1.8 ��� sleeves and insert
EN31� 1.0 - 1.15 0.9 - 1.1 0.3 - 0.32 ��� 1.1 (max) bar, dies punches

Nitrogen PSII on Titanium

PSII is also performed on non-ferrous metals like Ti. Experiments at 20 kV, 400oC for 30 minutes, show the formation of TiN. However the treated layer is very thin (~ 500A) so the increase in hardness is also less (increase by 10%). Nitrogen diffusion in Ti typically starts at 800o C, which helps in the production of TiN of thickness of few �.
High precision blades

Industrial application of SIDH process was exploited in the treatment of high precision SS blades. These blades were used for removing a solidifying ceramic mixture from a conveyer belt. GDPN and SIDH was performed on these blades and the results indicate that SIDH increased the lifetime at least by two times.
PSII as a tool in Inter-disciplinary Research

Looking at the potential of PSII, and the wide range of fundamental studies on surface modifications that are possible with it, this has been classified as a Cross Disciplinary Plasma Science (CDPS) scheme by the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India. The PSII facility at the center will be made available to universities and other national laboratories to promote plasma aided material sciences research. Under the CDPS scheme some PSII facilities will also be set up with the center's help at various universities.

The present research thrust are:

* Controlling hydrogen embrittlement in steels
* Changing the luminescence properties of semiconducting thin films
* Increasing the bio compatibility of medical implants
* Boron doping of silicon
* Property change of interface of metal-semiconductor joints, etc.

Back
Top Bottom