India's First Ethanol-Run Bus Rolls out in Nagpur

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
India's First Ethanol-Run Bus Rolls out in Nagpur
bus-story_350_082314102914.jpg

India's First Ethanol-Run Bus

Nagpur: India's first pilot project to test ethanol-run environment-friendly public buses was launched in Nagpur by Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari on Friday.

The "Green Bus" project is a brain child of Mr Gadkari, who claimed the carbon-dioxide emissions from the bus will be as low as 75 per cent to 90 per cent -- depending on the purity of ethanol.

Nonetheless, the emissions will be monitored for the next three months by the Nagpur Municipal Corporation, the state and the central governments.

A massive Rs. 6 lakh crore annual fuel bill has ruined the economy, Mr Gadkari said. Using ethanol is expected to reduce the fiscal deficit and fuel imports by Rs. 2 lakh crore. Plus, ethanol being currently priced at Rs. 50 a litre, it would mean cheaper transport for the people.

"This was my dream. Now I want to ensure that the entire automotive industry moves onto indigenous fuels," Mr Gadkari said. "Ethanol can be produced here in large quantities, and it will reduce our dependence on traditional fossil fuels."

While many appreciated Mr Gadkari's efforts, his critics accused him of having another agenda: Pushing his private business.

Ethanol is produced from molasses, a by-product of sugar mills. The Purti Group, of which Gadkari is a shareholder, runs several sugar mills and also sells ethanol.

But the minister insisted he has no such motive. "I am not keen on ethanol because I produce it. I can give ethanol free to the city. So don't say this project is being undertaken to benefit me," he said.

Source:- India's First Ethanol-Run Bus Rolls out in Nagpur

Scania ?When I heard Nagpur I thought it was Ashok Leyland, :(

A transition towards biofuels. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in India. On one hand ethanol blended fuel will reduce oil imports, but it may lead to an increase in domestic food prices (sugarcane is used as feedstock for ethanol production). It will definitely cut down on GHG emissions though.

Automotive manufacturers will start aggressively marketing flex fuel vehicles. (Currently approx 56% of passenger vehicles in Brazil are flex fuels)

Brain child of Gadkari :lol:
Quite the thinker that in a few months he came up with an action plan to run buses on ethanol.

Hmm.. Gadkari again at his best..

Brain child chodo, it is investment of Nitin Garkhade too lol

Cool. You have inside info. Why don't you share more with us ?

Nitin Garkhade is a Millionaire .............see how he travels in luxury. :coffee:

0.jpg

With his wife, enjoying public money

IMG-20140502-WA003.jpg

It appears I was wrong. He does appear to have a huge stake in sugar mills in and around nagpur. This move will certainly help him personally, but its a good move never the less.
him and sharad powar plus UP n Hariyana
this should have been adopted ages ago, would be good if car manufacturers join in too

him and sharad powar plus UP n Hariyana
this should have been adopted ages ago, would be good if car manufacturers join in too

Nitin garkari is a self made man who has stakes in cooperatives and has set up industries while he was NOT in politics. 99% of his wealth seems to have come from legal means. Like all business men he would have use accounting tactics to escape income taxes but that is legally allowed in India and Everybody does it.

Sharad pawar OTOH is a crook who was the god father of Dawood Ibrahim. No one can do business in Maharashtra without the blessing of Sharad Pawar. He is the devil.

Back
Top Bottom