What's new

Indian-origin academics in UK 'dread' Modi in power, issue open letter

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Around 75 professors and other academics of Indian origin working at some of Britain's prestigious institutions such as Cambridge and Oxford university and London School of Economics today issued an open letter, sharply attacking Narendra Modi and saying, "The idea of Modi in power fills us with dread".

The academics led by Prof. Chetan Bhatt and Gautam Appa of the London School of Economics issued the open letter in the UK’s Left-leaning 'Independent' newspaper.

"As the people of India vote to elect their next government, we are deeply concerned at the implications of a Narendra Modi-led BJP government for democracy, pluralism and human rights in India," the letter said targeting the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate.

vtpixpc.gif

"Narendra Modi is embedded in the Hindu Nationalist movement, namely the RSS and other Sangh Parivar groups, with their history of inciting violence against minorities. Some of these groups stand accused in recent terrorist attacks against civilians," the letter titled "The idea of Modi in power fills us with dread" reads.

The letter followed a similar open letter by Indian-origin author Salman Rushdie and artist Anish Kapoor among others in the 'Guardian' earlier this month.

The letter in 'Independent' published here today reads: "There is widespread agreement about the authoritarian nature of Modi’s rule in Gujarat, further evidenced by the recent sidelining of other senior figures within the BJP. This style of governance can only weaken Indian democracy." "Additionally, the Modi-BJP model of economic growth involves close linking of government with big business, generous transfer of public resources to the wealthy and powerful, and measures harmful to the poor.

A Modi victory would likely mean greater moral policing, especially of women, increased censorship and vigilantism, and more tensions with India’s neighbours," the letter reads.

The academics represent some of the leading British educational establishments, including Oxford University’s Prof. Nandini Gooptu and Prof. Joya Chatterji from Cambridge University.

Like most of the other columns in the British media, the letter refers to the Godhra riots as proof of sectarianism in Gujarat under Modi, who has been the chief minister of the western state for 13 years.

"We recall the extreme violence by the Hindu Right in Gujarat in 2002 which resulted in the deaths of at least 1,000 people, mostly Muslims. This violence occurred under Modi’s rule, and senior government and police officials have provided testimony of his alleged role in encouraging or permitting it to occur," the letter says.

Indian-origin academics in UK 'dread' Modi in power, issue open letter

The most sort out person in PDF is Modi...... Just look at the number of threads running with his name on the title...... What is being discussed in each thread????? Same subject, same points, and same arguments......

One important thing about modi is..... either you hate him.... Or you love him...... irony is that i dont fall in both the categories....

Last edited:
One can understand if Indian Muslims take a stand against Modi but when Hindus holding prestigious positions dread him in power then obviously he's the fly in the ointment.

Who is arguing....however you should make an effort explaining that to those who deny him a visa entry.
Lols I don't need to. All countries who banned his visa entry earlier have withdraws their stance. UK did it long time back while USA did it 2 months back too. Lols
not to forget, USA is all set to send a Gujarati origin Envoy to India just to please Modi. Haha

IS the election over yet? This is the longest election ever. Who's leading can someone tell me that? I think people have been voting for a while now.

We NRIs don't have a call against what the majority of Indians want. It is us who settled for greener pastures, didn't we?

IS the election over yet? This is the longest election ever. Who's leading can someone tell me that? I think people have been voting for a while now.
Elections will be over on 12th May and result will be out on 16th May. Highest chances are for Modi led BJP with few allies to form the govt.

funny to see that bhagoda brigade is concerned about Indian elections....
n as desert fighter sez not even a F@*# was given:p:

Their fear is legitimate, because they stood against the interests of our country. Funding groups that support internal turmoil, using covert media tactics to weaken the country's integrity, causing tensions in India just like partition era just to reign our nation using pathetic puppets in 'secular' governments like Congress. Enough is enough.

And these traitors should be assured that Indian intelligence will come after them and their foreign masters very soon.

A Modi victory would likely mean greater moral policing, especially of women, increased censorship and vigilantism, and more tensions with India’s neighbours," the letter reads.

This is the most shittiest line I came across. These wankers sitting abroad and living off english bread and tea have no idea about what is going on in India. Gujarat is the safest state for women in the country. Considering the size of that state, it is very impressive. It counts among five of the safest states for women in India, from one of which I myself belong.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom