What's new

Indian Navy To Get First P-8I Today

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
P1050271.JPG

The first of eight Boeing Defense P-8I Poseidon maritime reconnaissance aircraft will be handed over today on-site to the Indian Navy today at Boeing Field, Seattle, 10 days ahead of schedule (it was to be handed over on December 31). Flight acceptance tests will ensue in a few weeks. Boeing has said it will deliver the first three aircraft in 2013.

Was at Boeing Field in July to check out the Mission Systems Installation and Checkout facility where the first and second P-8Is had just entered flight test.

The Indian Navy is expected to contract for four more P-8Is, a deal that is likely to be final next year once deliveries begin. Boeing projects total sales of 30 aircraft to India based on discussions.

Livefist

Great :tup:
One things with Americans. They never screwed up the time line :D
Russians should take the NOTE of that

You can't blame the Russians, they are not USSR any more and their Military Industrial Complex is facing serious dearth of funds. You'd notice that all their joint development projects are moving at normal pace.

cant see the pic !!!!

Chasma laga. :blink:

Congrats to our navy.:enjoy: This induction in our naval force will enhance ASW capability by manifold. :)

whatever we get from Russians is comes with ToT or inhouse manufacturing licence.
Something you can't expect from USA.

Woow... with this IN has really catapulted it to next level in maritime reconnaissance and submarine warfare...

High time.. ab toh Note 2 bhi launch ho gaya hai.. :P

whatever we get from Russians is comes with ToT or inhouse manufacturing licence.
Something you can't expect from USA.

Did any of the previous ASW aircraft (Tu-142) come with ToT or license to manufacture?

Navy receives first of P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft

Boosting its anti-submarine warfare capabilities, the Indian Navy today received its first of the eight P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft from Boeing.

India had signed a deal worth over USD 2.1 billion with the American firm in January 2009 for procuring eight P-8I long-range surveillance aircraft which are equipped with anti-submarine weaponry.

The first aircraft was handed over to Indian personnel by the Boeing company in Seattle, US and now it will be used for training the Indian Navy crew, Navy officials said here.

The aircraft along with two more will arrive in India in May next year and would be deployed at a naval base in Tamil Nadu, they said.

Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has also supplied critical equipment to the US aerospace major for the aircraft that will help it identify friendly and enemy planes and forces.

The aircraft is expected to be equipped with missiles such as Harpoons, which are also manufactured by the US.

India is also looking at ordering four more such aircraft to keep an eye on its extensive maritime territory and for replacing and augmenting its existing fleet of Russian Tupolev-42 and Ilyushin-38 Sea Dragon aircraft.

It also plans to have six more medium range maritime reconnaissance aircraft. It operates the Dornier surveillance aircraft for short-range surveillance activities.

Navy receives first of P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft - The Economic Times

2148862.jpg

boeingp8ineptune7378fvi.jpg

boeingp8ineptunek652980.jpg

boeingp81.jpg

Did any of the previous ASW aircraft (Tu-142) come with ToT or license to manufacture?

No, we were buying only 8 aircraft of that type, ToT is not needed for such a small number.

There are 2 theads running on the subject. Mods can we merge them into one.
Araz

Navy gets first long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft

NEW DELHI: The Navy got the first of its eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft, armed with deadly missiles, rockets and torpedoes for potent anti-warship and anti-submarine warfare, which were contracted for $2.1 billion in 2009.

The first P-8I was handed over to an Indian naval team at the Boeing facility at Seattle in US on Wednesday. Once the second and third aircraft are also delivered, the naval team will fly the three to India in May-June.

With the other five slated to be progressively inducted by 2015, India is also negotiating the acquisition of another four P-8I to add to the eight earlier ordered. With an operating range of around 1,200 nautical miles, the dozen P-8Is will patrol the outermost layer of India's three-tier maritime surveillance grid.

Navy is also slated to get nine medium-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft, which with a range of 350 nautical miles will act as India's "intelligent eyes and ears" over Indian Ocean in the medium range. Israeli spy drones like Heron and Searcher-II as well as Dorniers make up the innermost surveillance layer.

India is stepping up acquisition of its naval air assets as well as warships to take care of its primary area of strategic interest stretching from Persian Gulf to Malacca Strait. The country also has a vast 5,422-km coastline, 1,197 islands and 2.01 million sq km of Exclusive Economic Zone to guard against all threats.

Navy gets first long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom