What's new

Indian Navy foils piracy attack, rescues Iranian vessel MV Nafis-1

1nd1a

Reaction score
Mumbai: The Indian Navy today foiled a piracy attack after it rescued merchant vessel MV Nafis-1, approximately 170 nautical miles west of Mumbai.

The Iranian-flagged vessel had been located by the Navy's Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft on August 12, which thereafter kept it under continuous surveillance.

INS Mysore, a guided missile destroyer, was dispatched to intercept the vessel with two helicopters as well as 24 of the Navy's elite Marine Commandos (MARCOS). The MARCOS carried out a thorough investigation and found two AK-47 rifles and a pistol concealed in an empty fuel tank.

MV Nafis-1 had reportedly sailed from Chah Bahar in Iran to an undisclosed location in July.

Intelligence received by the Indian Navy had indicated that the vessel could have been employed for smuggling or other nefarious activities. Inputs suggest that the vessel was likely to be carrying arms and ammunition, as well as other contraband.

MVNafis-1_295x200.jpg

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/i...tack-rescues-iranian-vessel-mv-nafis-1-126639

:sniper:

Jai Jawan Jai Kisan!

These nuisances got what they deserved.
2qbhgmw.jpg
2qbhgmw.jpg

I don't get it. IN intercepted the MV and found assault rifles inside the ship. So is the ship itself was used for piracy?

I don't get it. IN intercepted the MV and found assault rifles inside the ship. So is the ship itself was used for piracy?
This ship was earlier hijacked and being used by the pirates for piracy.

Agreed!!! Below news give little bit more info

Indian Navy captures hijacked vessel off Mumbai coast - The Times of India

MUMBAI: The Indian Navy has captured a hijacked Iranian flagged vessel off the Mumbai coast following intelligence inputs that it may be carrying arms, ammunition and contraband, officials said on Monday.

The ill-fated vessel 'Nafis-I' was intercepted on Sunday and all persons on board have been detained, they said, adding it is not yet clear as to how many of them were pirates and crew members.

Two AK -47 rifles and a pistol concealed in an empty fuel tank of the ship have been found, they said.

Following intelligence inputs, the vessel was located by a naval maritime reconnaissance aircraft on August 12 in the high seas after which it was kept under continuous surveillance.

Subsequently, INS Mysore, a guided missile destroyer, was sent to intercept the hijacked vessel along with two helicopters and 24 marine commandos, the officials said.

The vessel was intercepted approximately 170 nautical miles, off west Mumbai after the Navy launched its operations.

The vessel is being towed to Porbandar, where the people on board will be handed over to the police, officials said.

The statements of those onboard have revealed that the vessel had left from Chah Bahar in Iran and had travelled to an undisclosed location in July after which it was intercepted by the Navy in the Arabian waters, they said.

:sniper:

damn these Somalis are real pain in the a$$ now a days someone should invade Somalia and destroy all there boats and put them under sanctions so that they cannot buy any more !

Back
Top Bottom