Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Rafale_Firing_MICA_Missile_2.jpg

Dassault Rafale Multi-Role Fighter

New Delhi:
The Indian Air Force on Saturday said it would need at least six squadrons comprising 108 Rafale fighter jets or similar jets to shore up its capabilities as it hoped that the contract for 36 French fighter aircraft would be inked by year-end.

Noting that two squadron of 18 Rafale jets each might not be enough, Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha said his force would like to have at least six squadrons of the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA).

He hinted that even though the Rafale is the front-runner, India may go in for another aircraft with similar capabilities “if the deal is good”. “Definitely, we would like to have MMRCA variety of aircraft. At least about six squadrons to my mind. Let us see, there may be some other alternatives as well,” Raha said addressing a press conference ahead of the Air Force Day on 8 October.

He was replying to questions about the possibility of India Air Force wanting more than the 36 Rafales under a government to government deal announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his trip to France in April.

Asked if the additional four squadrons of aircraft will be Rafales or if there is a possibility of other players getting into play, Raha said, “I may wish to have Rafale. But there are equally good aircraft. So if the deal is good and the government decides we need to have six of similar squadron...” “There are alternatives. I cannot say I only want Rafale. I want capability of Rafale type aircraft. So the government will have a look at it and based on urgency and the type of contract is signed with Dassault Aviation, further decisions may be taken by the government. I cannot predict,” he said.

Admitting that the Air Force is currently “short” in terms of authorized strength of 42 squadrons, Raha said more aircraft are needed to replace many more squadrons in coming years. “The need is there. As Air Force, we will like to have more of these (MMRCA) but it will have to be viable in terms of cost, in terms transfer of technology and in terms of Make in India policy that the government is trying to implement.” “So if those terms and conditions are good, then I am sure we will be able to get more. But as of now we are looking at 36,” he said.

With the government cancelling the multi-billion tender for 126 MMRCA, there is renewed hope in the aviation industry that India may go in for fresh bids to fill up the gaps. From Swedish firm Saab to US’ Lockheed Martin and the France’s Dassault Aviation, most of the global aircraft manufactures have offered their jets in line with the government’s push for ‘Make in India’.

Indian Defence News: Indian Air Force Wants more than 100 Rafales or Similar Jets

Which mmrca will come only God knows . I will be happy for super hornet:smitten:

Noting that two squadron of 18 Rafale jets each might not be enough, Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha said his force would like to have at least six squadrons of the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA).

There's a saying: If wishes were horses, beggars would ride!

Though we're not exactly beggars but there are no funds to buy more than 36 Rafales. Funds are being utilized for the AMCA and the FGFA projects.

hornets are inferior aircrafts, stand no chance against rafaels. I will be happy if we induct Eurofighters.

I know that but cost is the real issue here. Will you go for 36 rafale for 9billion ie 27 billion for another 108 rafales. Eurofighter is even more costly. I can get even f35 or pak fa would cost less even with all spares weapons training etc. So why to go for 4.5gen when we can get 5th gen at same or lower or similar price. So I think f18e is the best option here cause it give more bang for buck( better than f16in as it would sabotage tejas mk2). Also it has engine commonality with mk2 or amca in future .

Sick of hearing the IAF plans since last 1.5 decade which never materializes.

IAF should better sign some contract and then talk in media. Media talk and tall claims regarding MMRCA is the only thing they should avoid

Well if we buy 36 Rafales ... It will make sense to go with Rafale for further addition in IAF . French has agree on offset for 36 Rafales they can agree for 100 more . The Mother of All deal survived after all BVR theoris ... !!

when india has option of SU30 mkiS AND MIG29s why go for 100 MMRCA?

I think IAF is approaching 2 pronged solution...

36 for Option-1(Rafale)
if satisfied,then rest will be Option-1(Rafale)

or Option-2(Which I doubt will be either EF or some jets of US/EU origin)

EF has fair chances as they're lobbying for long.no company doesn't lobby for so long if there isn't a hard reason behind it.

Tejas-1A is now on the horizon which IAF would induct as the gap filler between 36 and 124.

But if India is looking to acquire yet another type, better if it would drop Rafale and only induct that aircraft, even if that was slighly less capable than Rafale. But I seriously hope India wouldn't listen to this suggestion and end up adding yet yet yet another aircraft to its spectrum. More the merrier isn't it?

Tejas-1A is now on the horizon which IAF would induct as the gap filler between 36 and 124.

But if India is looking to acquire yet another type, better if it would drop Rafale and only induct that aircraft, even if that was slighly less capable than Rafale. But I seriously hope India wouldn't listen to this suggestion and end up adding yet yet yet another aircraft to its spectrum. More the merrier isn't it?

Tejas- Light Category

Rafale- Medium Category

After having enough water pass through Ganges, the headlines have changed to "Rafale or similar Jets"

KEWL !!

I wish everyone talk less now. They should say "No comment on MMRCA"

No i read the suggestion let me discuss with DM and PM.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom