What's new

Indian Air Force, USAF to Participate in Exercise Red Flag 2008

uday

New Recruit

Reaction score
A batch of frontline IAF fighters and pilots will leave for the United States on Monday to prove their mettle during the multinational air exercise, "Ex-Red Flag 08", at the USAF's Nellis Air Force Base.

For the next two months, the flying skills and endurance of India's ace fighter pilots and their Russian-made Sukhoi fighters will face the ultimate test at the world's most advanced air force base. The multinational air exercise is scheduled to be held at Nellis base from August nine to 23. This is the first time that the Russian-made SU-30 MK-I fighters will make their appearance in multi-nation exercises to pit their skills against US and other NATO fighters.

"The Indian Air Force will participate in a multinational air exercise, Ex-Red Flag 08 at the invitation of United States Air Force (USAF), scheduled to be held at Nellis Air Force Base in the US from 09-23 Aug 08," an IAF spokesperson said. The skills of the IAF fighter pilots' will be pitched against an environment where the most advanced war scenario will be enacted with the help of air-borne early warning and air control aircraft, satellite and some of the most advanced flying machines in the arsenal of the USAF.

India's participation in the US exercise signals the government's intentions to go ahead with military to military cooperation with Washington even as the Indo-US nuclear deal hangs in balance. The IAF's participation in the multi-nation Red Flag Exercise comes at a time when top air force officials have indicated that India may go ahead in setting up similar advanced air force ranges at its Gwalior and Kalaikunda air bases

I wonder if the IAF would use its radars for BVR engagements or do it in the same old way as was done at Ex. Indradhanush? Obviously Russians would have problems with the IAF using the MKI's radar and disclosing its frequencies and capabilities.

Red Flag will test the limits of our pilots. I'm sure they'll do well. and it will be very good experience for them

on paper IAF Su-30 MKI are better then most of USAF F-15 and F-16 fleet and i would not be surprised to know same cope-india results as USAF desperately need more F-22 order and i believe this is their way to convince the congress...

Why is it that only the Su30-MKIs and their pilots get the benefit of red flag exercises? The Mirage2000 and SEPECAT Jaguar squadrons still play a vital role in deep strike operations while the Mig29s and Mig21 Bisons are assigned to do most of the air defense and interception. It would have been far more beneficial for each group to have a presence at Nellis.

Why is it that only the Su30-MKIs and their pilots get the benefit of red flag exercises? The Mirage2000 and SEPECAT Jaguar squadrons still play a vital role in deep strike operations while the Mig29s and Mig21 Bisons are assigned to do most of the air defense and interception. It would have been far more beneficial for each group to have a presence at Nellis.

Its actually by invite. Specific types of aircraft are invited in order to plan out the exercises for specific tasks, missions etc. For the US and Western AFs, the MKIs are the object of attention as its a relatively unknown platform.

Secondly most Air Forces aside from USAF send their leading units (usually comprised of senior pilots etc.) so they can attend and then disseminate the knowledge back to others (Train the trainer concept). USAF tend to rotate all combat sqns through this training as it was primarily started to train all US air crews.

on paper IAF Su-30 MKI are better then most of USAF F-15 and F-16 fleet and i would not be surprised to know same cope-india results as USAF desperately need more F-22 order and i believe this is their way to convince the congress...

I do not think this will be the case. At RF, all aircraft are taking full-blown BVR shots where the F-15s and F-16s can hold their own. Secondly, a lot of other Air Forces are flying aircraft equipped with better WVR capabilities so I do not think that you will see too much 1-on-1 action. Most of the exercises would be mixed up.

Seems like this session that IAF is attending would include South Korean and French Air Force detachments along the USAF ones.

I wonder if the IAF would use its radars for BVR engagements or do it in the same old way as was done at Ex. Indradhanush? Obviously Russians would have problems with the IAF using the MKI's radar and disclosing its frequencies and capabilities.

no BVR, no F22

SU 30 is basically assigned A2G role

Upcoming Red Flag Units

Su30MKI's will be flying aganist with French Rafaeles and South Korea's F-15ks.
we have to see how Su30MKI perform against Rafaele.

what are the chance of PAF J-10/FC-20 in future red flag? will china ever give us permission?

what are the chance of PAF J-10/FC-20 in future red flag? will china ever give us permission?

What makes you think we would need their "permission". I'm sure we'd take their sensitivities under concern but PRC has never had a veto on how we use their hardware. We've provided valuable Intel voluntarily about their systems in the past to secure our own ends.

This will give you some idea about Red Flag and the amount of Fighter they have and what kind.

Hulu - Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag - Full Episodes streaming online for free

Su30MKI's will be flying aganist with French Rafael, I would bet on Rafael:

An exercise the US and French navys had in 2002. This was close combat only no BVR, the F14 is no match for the Rafael and the F18 was overcome with more difficulty as well. Apparently the US didn't want the Hornets with AMRAAM going against the Rafaels with MICA, I don't no why but it suggests that it would have been even worse for the Hornets. I don't want USN pilots hanging there heads in shame when they walk past French Rafael pilots.
This is no good! Whats the USN going to do when they have to go up against Su27/30s, ask the USAF with F22s to wipe the floor with them.
The F18e/f should have been equiped with 30,000lb engines with 2D TVC
and larger F22 style nose with a big AESA radar. If you look at the dorsal view the centre line barrel(fusalage) and nose a very small compared to the wings and large LERX. F18c/d pilots who test flew against them said they out flew them, out turned them and ran them out of fuel, they felt sorry for them. It can't get past M1.7 and apparently has a high drag ratio. No wonder they jammed more internal fuel in it than an F15c, it weighs more and they expect it to get along with 22,000lb engines. Hopeless

Last edited:
Is Pakistan ever going to participate in red flag? I would love to see some of our PAF pilots here in Nellis AFB. I met some Indian Pilots in BX the other day and one lady doctor, they were really nice and friendly even though i told them that i m from Pakistan, i guess they dont really hate Pakistanis, its just the govt'???:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom