What's new

India will bag more medals in London Olympics than Bejing: IOA

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
NEW DELHI: Exuding confidence of a better showing by India in the London Olympics, IOA on Monday said it would provide all possible help to the sportspersons' preparations.

"We are hopeful that our medal tally in this year's Olympics will better than the 2008 Beijing Olympiad where we had bagged three medals," IOA Acting President Vijay Kumar Malhotra said.

India is expected to take part in 15 disciplines -- Aquatics, Athletics, Archery, Boxing, Gymnastics, Hockey, Judo, Shooting, Rowing, Sailing, Table Tennis, Tennis, Weightlifting and Wrestling -- subject to qualifications.

He said the IOA's assessment of more medals this time is based on the performance of sportspersons in various international competitions and Olympic qualifiers.

"IOA is committed to provide all possible help to the sportspersons who have and will qualify for Olympics. There is going to be no lack of funds for them so I hope this time the sportspersons will bring more good news for the countrymen," he said.

Malhotra said the IOA has asked the concerned sports federations to specifically find out the requirements of the athletes who have qualified and are likely to qualify for the London Olympics to provide them top-class coaching and training facilities.

"We will do our best to provide those facilities to the players. Lack of funds or facilities are not going to be excuses any more," he said.

He said he was hopeful that more shooters, archers and boxers will qualify to fill up the remaining slots.

"It is a very good sign for the Indian sports that now International sporting fraternity is looking at sports persons from our country with respect and awe."

Malhotra said he shares the sentiments of the hockey fans in hoping for the national team's qualification for London Olympics.

"I fervently hope that our hockey teams (men and women) will make it to London. I was also deeply disappointed when we failed to qualify for Beijing Olympics last time. I hope this time our teams will win the Olympic qualifiers to be held next month here," he said.

So far 25 Indian sportspersons have qualified for London Olympics. They are: Jayant Talukdar, Deepika Kumari, L Bombayala Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro in archery, Virdhawal Khade and Sandeep Sejwal in swimming, Babubhai Panucha, Gurmeet Singh, Vikas Gowda, Om Prakash, Myookha Johny, Tintu Luka and Krishna Poonia in athletics, Devendro Laishram, Jai Bhagwan, Manoj Kumar and Vikas Krishan in boxing, Abhinav Bindra, Ronjon Sodhi, Sanjeev Rajput, Vijay Kumar, Gagan Narang, Hari Om Singh, Rahi Sarnobat and Anuraj Singh in shooting.

India will bag more medals in London Olympics than Bejing: IOA - The Times of India

Well you can't cheat in the Olympics, so it might be difficult to bring home the gold for India, unlike Cricket World Cup.

Well you can't cheat in the Olympics, so it might be difficult to bring home the gold for India, unlike Cricket World Cup.

haha to you guys everything's cheating where you can't win! Show some sportsman spirit. Will ya?

This is pathetic! floods - because of india, economy in despair - because of india, terrotism - because of India and RAW, Loss in cricket - Because of india, Your dishonest cricketrs fix the match - because of india!

You have to stop blaming india for EVERYTHING!

haha to you guys everything's cheating where you can't win! Show some sportsman spirit. Will ya?

This is pathetic! floods - because of india, economy in despair - because of india, terrotism - because of India and RAW, Loss in cricket - Because of india, Your dishonest cricketrs fix the match - because of india!

You have to stop blaming india for EVERYTHING!

So True !!!! :angel:

Question is, will Pakistan win 1 medal any colour?

Of course and we have in the past.

It will be Pakistan or India for Field Hockey, most likely Pakistan will take it home.

It will be Pakistan or India for Field Hockey, most likely Pakistan will take it home.

even in field hockey Australia, germany and others are favourite.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

But its true, india needs to desperately improve its medal tally at least to double digits..
I hope this time may be a start at least......

I think we have a good chance.

India being significantly larger has won a total of 10 gold medals? Pakistan has won 3? That means we are not too bad for a devloping country, and if resources were given to athletes I think we could become a strong country in the olympics.

I think we have a good chance.

India being significantly larger has won a total of 10 gold medals? Pakistan has won 3? That means we are not too bad for a devloping country, and if resources were given to athletes I think we could become a strong country in the olympics.

find out when we won last field hockey medal.and you will know why i said we are not favourite. I don't know about pakistan but india got no chance in hockey.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom