What's new

India to Purchase Harpoon Missiles Worth $145 Million

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian MoDs Defence Acquisition Council has cleared the purchase of another 22 Harpoon anti-ship missile at a cost Rs 913 crores ($145 million).

This was in the pipeline as a foreign military sales deal with the department of defence of the USA. The missiles are manufactured by Boeing Defence, Space and Aerospace.

The missiles will be integrated with the Sihsumar class submarines – the Indian version of the HDW submarines.

Harpoon missiles have three versions: for the army, navy and the air force. The naval version is named UGM 84.

Indian navy had earlier procured 26 such missiles for itself to be fitted on P81 surveillance aircrafts for $200 million. Another 26 were brought by the Indian Air Force.

India to Purchase Harpoon Missiles Worth $145 Million

7 Million $ for 1 Missile ? :cry:

Some pretty crazy stuff is happening:

EW DELHI (PTI): India will undertake mid-life upgrade of six Russian-made Kamov 28 anti-submarine warfare helicopters besides overhaul of another four.

Of the ten Kamov 28 helicopters that were procured from the erstwhile USSR in the mid-80s, only a few are in flying condition today while the remaining have been mothballed for spares.

The Defence Acquisition Council on Saturday cleared the proposal for the upgrade of the helicopters in Russia, defence sources said.

Under the mid-life upgrade, the six choppers will get new sensors among others while the rest four will only undergo engine overhauling.

The project, to be undertaken by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Rosoboronexport, is valued at nearly Rs 2,000 crore.

About $300 million for upgrading ten choppers that are 30 year old ? At about $30 million each? :crazy:

Some pretty crazy stuff is happening:

EW DELHI (PTI): India will undertake mid-life upgrade of six Russian-made Kamov 28 anti-submarine warfare helicopters besides overhaul of another four.

Of the ten Kamov 28 helicopters that were procured from the erstwhile USSR in the mid-80s, only a few are in flying condition today while the remaining have been mothballed for spares.

The Defence Acquisition Council on Saturday cleared the proposal for the upgrade of the helicopters in Russia, defence sources said.

Under the mid-life upgrade, the six choppers will get new sensors among others while the rest four will only undergo engine overhauling.

The project, to be undertaken by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Rosoboronexport, is valued at nearly Rs 2,000 crore.

About $300 million for upgrading ten choppers that are 30 year old ? At about $30 million each? :crazy:

That is crazy since a new one will only cost us 15 Million $ !!!!!

I don't think this news can be true.

That is crazy since a new one will only cost us 15 Million $ !!!!!

I don't think this news can be true.

India to Upgrade 10 Kamov Anti-Submarine Warfare Choppers -The New Indian Express

Helicopter upgrade
Last Saturday, the Defence Acquisition Council gave approval for the upgrade of 10 Kamov-28 anti-submarine helicopters of the Navy at a cost of €297 million.

The helicopters are at the end of their service life.

India, France to jointly develop naval missile - The Hindu

India to Upgrade 10 Kamov Anti-Submarine Warfare Choppers -The New Indian Express

Ya read that, but I have my doubts about new Indian express. That kind of price is Impossible.

Either the deal is something larger, or the cost is much much less.

Ya read that, but I have my doubts about new Indian express. That kind of price is Impossible.

Either the deal is something larger, or the cost is much much less.

Added a link from the Hindu. (there is always the possibility that something else is happening in these Russian contracts - something extra....... but otherwise this looks absolutely bonkers stuff)

Helicopter upgrade
Last Saturday, the Defence Acquisition Council gave approval for the upgrade of 10 Kamov-28 anti-submarine helicopters of the Navy at a cost of €297 million.

The helicopters are at the end of their service life.

WTF!!!! Is there something hidden or corruption??

If it comes to Indian weapons than they are not ready to spend money.

are they mad. Upgrading old weapons at the cost of new weapons .mirage jaguar and now kamov.:mad::mad::mad:

Added a link from the Hindu. (there is always the possibility that something else is happening in these Russian contracts - something extra....... but otherwise this looks absolutely bonkers stuff)

India, France to jointly develop naval missile - The Hindu[/I]

Here is what Brahmand says,

India will undertake mid-life upgrade of six Russian-made Kamov 28 anti-submarine warfare helicopters besides overhaul of another four.

4 engine overhauling, 6 sensor upgrade.

I wonder if any of them is Ka 31 AEW. That could account for the price. Its an Heli born AWAC.

I wonder if any of them is Ka 31 AEW. That could account for the price. Its an Heli born AWAC.

The age of the choppers mentioned makes that doubtful.

Of the ten Kamov 28 helicopters that were procured from the erstwhile USSR in the mid-80s

Ka31 AEW made their entry between 2003 & 2005. Unlikely to need up-gradation so quickly.

The age of the choppers mentioned makes that doubtful.

Ka31 AEW made their entry between 2003 & 2005. Unlikely to need up-gradation so quickly.

Its Very Fishy either way. I am sure we have not heard the last of it. Its too early for Manohar Parrikar to get embroiled in controversy. Someone should advice him to issue a press statement.

what? $145 million for this old school shitty missile? this is stupid.

Back
Top Bottom