What's new

India Tests Nuclear-Capable Missile

Owais

Reaction score
India Tests Nuclear-Capable Missile
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Thu, 29 Dec 2005, 10:25

India successfully tested its nuclear-capable, short-range Dhanush ballistic missile Dec. 28, defense officials said.

The locally-developed missile, a naval version of the surface-to-surface Prithvi, was tested from a ship in the Bay of Bengal off the east coast of Orissa state, the Press Trust of India said, quoting official sources.

Dhanush -- which means bow in Hindi -- has a range of 250 kilometers (156 miles) and can carry a payload of 500 kilograms (1,100 pounds), the news agency said.

India, which conducted a series of nuclear tests in 1998, has already developed and deployed two ballistic missiles and a surface missile.

It hopes to cap the program with a 5,000-kilometer (3,125-mile) range ballistic missile to give it the capability of striking beyond South Asia.

Nuclear-armed rivals India and Pakistan frequently test-fire missiles but as part of a slow-moving peace process have agreed to inform each other in advance.

India tests several missile types like these trying to get hold of every capability it can get. I think Pakistan should do the same thing to improve its capablity with other platforms like Frigates, Destroyers, Planes, etc..

Originally posted by miroslav@Jan 4 2006, 10:37 AM
The most interesting thing about this Dhanush launching is till date Dhanuh was being launched vertically from Suknya Class vessels of IN.

This is the first time this bitch is being launched from a Kashin Class destroyer and that also from the tubes which are built for BrahMos.

Miro
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

are you sure it is from the tubes used for the brahmos, as the brahmos has the same demensions (because it is a derivative) as the Yakhount

the dhanush, appears to be much more wider

btw this seems to be a step on the sargika (SLBM) program

Miro do you have any picture of Brahmose being fired from the tubes above? I know its very rare, but it will be interesting to see. :wink:

Originally posted by mysterious@Jan 15 2006, 03:39 AM
Miro do you have any picture of Brahmose being fired from the tubes above? I know its very rare, but it will be interesting to see. :wink:
[post=5358]Quoted post[/post]​

I am sorry I and many Indians havent seen BrahMos being fired from Kashin or Talwar as Navy hasen't published any pic yet.

Yes the third Talwar class baby INS Tabar is equipped with BrahMos intead of regular Club and the launcher is Vertical and not like Kashin.

<div class='bbimg'></div>

The club launcher(s) of INS Talwar

Also IN has placed order for 3 more Talwars and the delivery is expected upto 2010-12.

Thanks,

Miro

Thanks for the info provided mirosalv, really appreciated. The indian navy is really up for advancement, while keeping an edge on quality and quantity. Samething that PLAN is doing, instead Indian Navy is largely dependent on importing ships while PLAN plans to build up by itself.

Zeeshan,

I have seen pictures of the Brahmos loaded into inclined launchers fitted on some Kashin vessel.Google hard and you must get.

WTF..... 2005 and 2006?????????? when i first looked at i got all excited then i saw the post date and found out someone bumped it man.... what a let down :angry:

Back
Top Bottom