India preparing the 4th Mi-25 gunship for delivery to Afghanistan

dadeechi

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India preparing the 4th Mi-25 gunship for delivery to Afghanistan
By Khaama Press - Mon Aug 22 2016, 9:47 pm

Efforts are underway for the delivery of the fourth and final Mi-25 gunships by India to the Afghan Air Force, it has been reported.

The delivery of the last of the four Mi-25s to Afghanistan has reportedly been delayed to the lack of spares to make the helicopter ready for the transfer.

“The fourth helicopter is yet to be transferred. It needs spares before it can be made fully operational and the spares have to come from Russia,” diplomatic sources told The Hindu local newspaper.

The sources further added that efforts were on to fix the issue. “There was an issue with the spares. It is being sorted out. It should be delivered very soon,” a senior defence official said without specifying a timeframe.

The four helicopters were taken from the inventory of the Indian Air Force (IAF) at the Air Force station in Pathankot. The IAF operates Russian-built Mi-25 and Mi-35 attack helicopters which are to be phased out very soon.

This comes as the Army chief General Qadam Shah Shahim is expected to visit India to meet Indian officials and hand over a revised wish list to the Indian authorities.

In the meantime, the top US commander in Afghanistan earlier called on India to deliver more helicopters to the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces.

The former Afghan President Hamid Karzai also called on India to take bolder steps in a bid to help equip the Afghan security forces.

https://www.khaama.com/india-preparing-the-4th-mi-25-gunship-for-delivery-to-afghanistan-01754

I mean, okay.

Personally, I think India is wasting its time and money. These systems are going to rust away in a few years, because of a lack of maintenance.

I mean, okay.

Personally, I think India is wasting its time and money. These systems are going to rust away in a few years, because of a lack of maintenance.

Or be captured by the Taliban. Anyway, I'm fine with them pouring money down the toilet.

Hamid Karzai bats for bolder India to fulfil Afghan military needs

image: http://data1.ibtimes.co.in/cache-img-0-450/en/full/616023/1471852355_afghan-air-corps.jpg

1471852355_afghan-air-corps.jpg

U.S. Airmen from the 438th Air Expeditionary Training Group (AETG) at Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan mentor Afghans on flying operations Oct. 3, 2009.Wiki Commons/U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Angelita Lawrence

During his recent visit to India, former Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai had urged the Narendra Modi government to get "bolder" to fulfil the needs of the Afghan military. As the President, Karzai had earlier given a list of military equipments that his military required. But the then-central government had not made any commitment due to sensitivity to Pakistani and U.S. concerns.

"India should be a lot bolder in meeting the military needs of Afghanistan. I want India to take bold steps and put caution behind to bolster Afghan defence capabilities. At that time, India was considerate of the views of Pakistan, surprisingly, and also of the views of the U.S.," Karzai was quoted as saying by the Indian Express.

"India is ideally located to provide Afghanistan necessary defence equipment, military hardware and training to our army. The current government has provided some helicopters, but we would want them to do more," he added.

India's Afghan policy has seen a change under Prime Minister Modi and the government has also agreed to provide four Mi-24/25 attack helicopters to Afghanistan. India is in the process of phasing out these aircraft.

Three of the helicopters were delivered to Afghanistan before Modi went there in December 2015. Currently, India is awaiting spare parts from Russia for the fourth helicopter, said a report in The Hindu.

"The fourth helicopter is yet to be transferred. It needs spares before it can be made fully operational and the spares have to come from Russia," diplomatic sources told The Hindu.

Earlier, India had restricted itself to providing military training and non-lethal equipments to Afghanistan. India had also provided three Cheetal utility helicopters manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

Though Afghanistan has put forward a request for additional Cheetal and Mi-24/25s, the report noted that IAF has said that it will not be able to provide more helicopters due to its own operation requirements.

Read more at http://www.ibtimes.co.in/hamid-karz...han-military-needs-690650#rj2DMYzQiOIex88E.99

Slow and worthless, if india had the balls they would supply weapons in bulk.

This drip of weapons is pointless and barely effects the situation on the ground

As if they know how to use it effectively . we will buy it in scrap .

Slow and worthless, if india had the balls they would supply weapons in bulk.

This drip of weapons is pointless and barely effects the situation on the ground

Mi-35 attack helicopter directing fire at Taliban fighter on the ground is devastating. Why do you think the PAF ordered four of these choppers from Russia. Of course I am assuming Afghan air force pilots know how to use them
You can always counter these choppers by supplying MANPADs to the Taliban

Until I see a proper demonstration, I don't have much faith that Iranian authorities are being completely honest. We all know what happened with the Qaher 313.

Modi strategy seem to be to arm Afghanistan to teeth, so as to keep Pakistan engaged on western front. I expect more military supplies to Afghanistan after the recent Kashmir flareup.
Not really, Modi seems to be quite passive in Afghanistan, and much like predecessors, he seems to be shying away from outright arming Afghanistan with heavy weapons.

Mi-35 attack helicopter directing fire at Taliban fighter on the ground is devastating. Why do you think the PAF ordered four of these choppers from Russia. Of course I am assuming Afghan air force pilots know how to use them
You can always counter these choppers by supplying MANPADs to the Taliban
The ones Pakistan ordered weren't for PAF, they were for the anti-narcotics force. The ANF requirements aren't that big, thus the small number.

Also, 4 choppers isn't going to make much change. Remember, these 4 choppers basically have to cover multiple fronts, which is an unreasonable expectation.

Not really, Modi seems to be quite passive in Afghanistan, and much like predecessors, he seems to be shying away from outright arming Afghanistan with heavy weapons.

No, Congress was quite passive, because US was against India arming Afghanistan at that time. But with US itself prodding India to arm Afghanistan now, there is nothing that can stop India from arming Afghanistan

http://www.breitbart.com/national-s...a-boost-military-aid-neighboring-afghanistan/

Moreover, it makes strategic sense for India to keep Pakistan's western borders on boil as it will take Pakistan off from its eastern borders.

Back
Top Bottom