What's new

India-Pakistan unlikely to break impasse soon: US

Dance

Reaction score
WASHINGTON: India and Pakistan are unlikely to resolve their Kashmir dispute soon given the fragile government in Islamabad, a top US commander said Tuesday.

He also voiced concern over the growing reach of the militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

India has made overtures to work more closely with Pakistan, and the US should continue to encourage the nuclear-armed rivals to negotiate, said Adm. Robert Willard, chief of US forces in the Pacific.

”But unquestionably there remains a level of tension across the border that is very hard to impact,” he told a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

”And given the turmoil that has been in Pakistan for the past couple of years, it’s hard to imagine that the fragile governance in Islamabad is going to rise to a level where the impasse can be broken in the near term.”

India and Pakistan recently moved to resume a peace process that stalled after terror attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai in 2008.

Few hold out hope the two governments can tackle core disputes that have bedeviled their relations since independence from Britain six decades ago, particularly their conflicting claims over divided Kashmir.

Willard noted that India regards Kashmir as a bilateral dispute with Pakistan, and is ”quick to remind” the US that it is an issue for them to deal with without outside interference.

Willard said the LeT group has declared a jihad on America and conducts attacks on US forces in Afghanistan, although India continues to be its main target.

He said the United States has evidence of Lashkar’s presence in Europe, the broader Asia-Pacific and even in the past in Canada and the United States.

The US is working with Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives and India to help build their capacities to contain the militant group, he said

India-Pakistan unlikely to break impasse soon: US | World | DAWN.COM

The same could be said of the China-India border dispute.

Any real solutions are unlikely.

Who asked you to drag china in? Wait, i forgot...you 'have' to drag china in to deliver that amazing 'solidarity speech' on the forum. I personally think you know squat about the south asian geo politics except for a a few keyword like aksai chin, kashmir and balochistan oh and the '71 war. Times are 'a changin sunshine...you better get your knowledge up-to date and propaganda free :)

THE ONLY SOLUTION THAT IS GOING TO COME OUT, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS IS:

1. Pakistan will keep POKi.e Azad Kashmir & Gilgit Baltistan
2. China will keep Aksai Chin & Shakshgam Valley
3. India will keep Jammu Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh

Its no rocket science that all these diplomatic talks will lead to this only. Any means other will lead to a deadly war.

AND ALSO INDIA IS NOT GOING TO COME DOWN FROM SIACHEN COME WHAT MAY. BUT A SOLUTION OF SIR CREEK IS QUITE POSSIBLE.

Who asked you to drag china in? Wait, i forgot...you 'have' to drag china in to deliver that amazing 'solidarity speech' on the forum. I personally think you know squat about the south asian geo politics except for a a few keyword like aksai chin, kashmir and balochistan oh and the '71 war. Times are 'a changin sunshine...you better get your knowledge up-to date and propaganda free :)

Someone is getting a little bit sensitive. :P

Anyway, when did I ever claim to be an expert on any South Asian issues? In fact, I often admit that I don't know much about South Asian politics.

Also, just because I'm Chinese doesn't mean I learn propaganda, nice stereotype though. You are free to explain to me, how I was exposed to propaganda, having grown up in Hong Kong. Bear in mind that the Press Freedom index, ranks Hong Kong as number 2 in Asia.

Someone is getting a little bit sensitive. :P

Anyway, when did I ever claim to be an expert on any South Asian issues? In fact, I often admit that I don't know much about South Asian politics.

Also, just because I'm Chinese doesn't mean I learn propaganda, nice stereotype though. You are free to explain to me, how I was exposed to propaganda, having grown up in Hong Kong. Bear in mind that the Press Freedom index, ranks Hong Kong as number 2 in Asia.

You should comment on the facts you know about. Making broad generalisations and assumptions and passing them off as facts hardly does anything positive.

As for indo-pak relations, i'm a pessimist. I see no future there and the talks are likely to shot down......again. But obviously, i'm also hopeful that sanity may yet prevail and we can somehow achieve a breakthrough in the stalemate. Not sure how it can happen though, neither side would concede to the other. I personally would prefer the LOC and LAC declared as international boundaries. Even that, is unlikely.
Ontopic- US is right. The stalemate is likely to continue for the forseeable future. Also, there is a very real chance pakistan could implode in a religious conflict. Lord knows, i would never want that to happen in a million years.

You should comment on the facts you know about. Making broad generalisations and assumptions and passing them off as facts hardly does anything positive.

OK, here is what I wrote:

The same could be said of the China-India border dispute.

Any real solutions are unlikely.

Can you explain to me where I made "broad generalisations and assumptions" about topics on which I have no knowledge?

The only one who made generalisations here, was you. When you accused me of "propaganda" (nice stereotype), when you obviously can't explain how I was fed propaganda while growing up here in Hong Kong.

On topic: As for turning the LoC into the International Border, if both sides really wanted that, the issue would have been solved already. So clearly at least one side (or both sides) don't really want that.

well usa has gone mad ...... after every week usa has to deliver some kind of non-sense to push up the tension between pakistan and india .....

If there were no Mumbai episode, we both would have reached somewhere as MMS is really wanted to reach somewhere in this issue.

Back
Top Bottom