What's new

India, Myanmar sign four agreements

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India

NEW DELHI: India and Myanmar on Monday signed four agreements following bilateral talks between Prime MinisterNarendra Modi and visiting Myanmar President Htin Kyaw here.

"Moving Forward with Myanmar! PM an President witness the exchange of 4 agreements between the two sides,"External Affairs Ministry spokespersonVikas Swarup tweeted.

The first agreement pertains to construction of 69 bridges on the Tamu-Kalewa section of the trilateral highway connecting India, Myanmar and Thailand.

The second agreement is on upgrading the Kalewa-Yargi section of the trilateral highway.

The third agreement is on cooperation in the field of renewable energy, while the fourth agreement is on cooperation in the field of traditional medicines

This is the first presidential visit from Myanmar to India after Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) came to power in March this year.

President Kyaw, who is on a four-day visit, was in Bodh Gaya in Bihar on Saturday and later visited the Taj Mahal in Agra on Sunday.

Prior to the meeting with Modi on Monday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj called on President Kyaw.

Earlier in the day, the visiting dignitary was accorded a ceremonial welcome at Rashtrapati Bhavan.

@Aung Zaya @alaungphaya

India plans to set up SEZ in Myanmar
NEW DELHI: It is not just Iran's Chabahar port and connectivity to Eurasia that has caught attention of the Modi government.

India plans to set up a SEZ in Sittwe in Myanmar where it has already built a port. The proposed SEZ by India will rival Chinese SEZ located 80 km down of strategically-located Sittwe as Delhi plans to make it as an economic hub.

The aim of the SEZ is to help expand India's footprints in South East Asia amid China plans for massive road and port connectivity projects in the region as part of its One Belt One Road initiative. India's plan for SEZ was explained by MoS external affairs VK Singh at the India-Asean Foreign Ministers meet at Laos earlier this week.

"India remains committed in its support for implementation of the master plan on Asean connectivity as well as and the post-2015 agenda for Asean connectivity. Even as we work to enhance our physical connectivity and explore the extension of the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway into Lao PDR, Cambodia and Vietnam, I urge Thailand and Myanmar to join hands and find solutions for the conclusion of the motor vehicles agreement and I would like to invite Asean countries to participate in the Sittwe SEZ," he said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...et-up-sez-in-myanmar/articleshow/53495371.cms

NEW DELHI: India and Myanmar on Monday signed four agreements following bilateral talks between Prime MinisterNarendra Modi and visiting Myanmar President Htin Kyaw here.

"Moving Forward with Myanmar! PM an President witness the exchange of 4 agreements between the two sides,"External Affairs Ministry spokespersonVikas Swarup tweeted.

The first agreement pertains to construction of 69 bridges on the Tamu-Kalewa section of the trilateral highway connecting India, Myanmar and Thailand.

The second agreement is on upgrading the Kalewa-Yargi section of the trilateral highway.

The third agreement is on cooperation in the field of renewable energy, while the fourth agreement is on cooperation in the field of traditional medicines

This is the first presidential visit from Myanmar to India after Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) came to power in March this year.

President Kyaw, who is on a four-day visit, was in Bodh Gaya in Bihar on Saturday and later visited the Taj Mahal in Agra on Sunday.

Prior to the meeting with Modi on Monday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj called on President Kyaw.

Earlier in the day, the visiting dignitary was accorded a ceremonial welcome at Rashtrapati Bhavan.

@Aung Zaya @alaungphaya
Cheer..!! bro :D ;D

Last edited:
India plans to set up SEZ in Myanmar
NEW DELHI: It is not just Iran's Chabahar port and connectivity to Eurasia that has caught attention of the Modi government.

India plans to set up a SEZ in Sittwe in Myanmar where it has already built a port. The proposed SEZ by India will rival Chinese SEZ located 80 km down of strategically-located Sittwe as Delhi plans to make it as an economic hub.

The aim of the SEZ is to help expand India's footprints in South East Asia amid China plans for massive road and port connectivity projects in the region as part of its One Belt One Road initiative. India's plan for SEZ was explained by MoS external affairs VK Singh at the India-Asean Foreign Ministers meet at Laos earlier this week.

"India remains committed in its support for implementation of the master plan on Asean connectivity as well as and the post-2015 agenda for Asean connectivity. Even as we work to enhance our physical connectivity and explore the extension of the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway into Lao PDR, Cambodia and Vietnam, I urge Thailand and Myanmar to join hands and find solutions for the conclusion of the motor vehicles agreement and I would like to invite Asean countries to participate in the Sittwe SEZ," he said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...et-up-sez-in-myanmar/articleshow/53495371.cms

Cheer..!! bro

Would love to see a video of the highway travel once its completed.

Would love to see a video of the highway travel once its completed.
it would be great..!! bro ... u can go ASEAN with ur own vehicle via this route... !!

BTW , do u know amount of investment in Sittwe SEZ ..? bro it's too close with China's Kyouk-Phyu SEZ which is just 80km away...

rakhine-map-old-390.jpg

it would be great..!! bro ... u can go ASEAN with ur own vehicle via this route... !!

BTW , do u know amount of investment in Sittwe SEZ ..? bro it's too close with China's Kyouk-Phyu SEZ which is just 80km away...

View attachment 330024

Last time it cropped up, the initial loan proposed was around 150 million USD:

http://www.dealstreetasia.com/stori...e-upgrade-for-its-administration-works-49708/

What it is now, I am not sure (cant find any details anywhere yet - I think they will do a joint feasibility study first).....but I hope its much higher than that. But I bet whatever it is, over time it will reach much larger figure since this is just initial investment (land prep, basic infra put in etc). The real investment I think will come from private companies in India either fully or in partnership with either or both govt.

India outward FDI to world ranges from 8 - 12 billion in last couple years:

http://unctad.org/sections/dite_dir/docs/wir2016/wir16_fs_in_en.pdf

So there is definitely much scope for it to come into Sittwe SEZ over say 5 - 10 year timeframe.

I think there should also be a connection to both SEZs here to the highway project:

indothairoad.jpg

BTW, do you know how much China has invested into the K-P SEZ so far, what is its output right now + projections + employment etc. I think it will give a good reference what can be done in Sittwe over time and really make Arakan province a hub of trade, commerce and industry for the region. It will be handling a lot of trade from India over the years too (to compete with BD overland route) for India N-E region....so I think there should be a port expansion project over time too as needed.

I think both SEZs can be connected and help compliment each other...and connect them well with a triangle road/rail infra with mandalay and yangon. What do you think?

Last time it cropped up, the initial loan proposed was around 150 million USD:

anyway , 150m USD is not small deal... a big kick start...

I think they will do a joint feasibility study first).....but I hope its much higher than that. But I bet whatever it is, over time it will reach much larger figure since this is just initial investment (land prep, basic infra put in etc).
yes.. i also think of that.. Arkran state need a big investment in infra so far... and we can't get Billion Dollar investment as long as we dont fix its infra need... :( plus there are insurgent groups...

do you know how much China has invested into the K-P SEZ so far, what is its output right now + projections + employment etc. I think it will give a good reference what can be done in Sittwe over time and really make Arakan province a hub of trade, commerce and industry for the region. It will be handling a lot of trade from India over the years too (to compete with BD overland route) for India N-E region....so I think there should be a port expansion project over time too as needed.
i dont know exact amount and gov didn';t disclose..
othere fact is here..

CITIC will form a consortium with Thailand’s Charoen Pokphand Group Company Limited (CP Group), China Harbor Engineering Company Ltd (CHEC), China Merchants Holdings (International) Co LTD (CMHI) , TEDA Investment Holding (TEDA) and Yunnan Construction Engineering Group (YNJG).

Xinhua News Agency reported that after the completion of the project, the expected annual capacity of the Deep Sea Port will be 7.8 million tonnes of bulk cargo and 4.9 million TEU containers. With increased container throughput, the Deep Sea Port may upgrade to the complete container terminals, with the annual capacity of 7 million TEU containers.

The SEZ will also include an industrial park, and is touted to create 100,000 jobs.

Kyaukphyu SEZ is of great strategic importance to China as it is the terminal of the Sino-Myanmar oil and gas Pipeline.

https://www.mmbiztoday.com/articles/kyaukphyu-sez-bids-awarded

Last edited:
anyway , 150m USD is not small deal... a big kick start...

yes.. i also think of that.. Arkran state need a big investment in infra so far... and we can't get Billion Dollar investment as long as we dont fix its infra need... :( plus there are insurgent groups...

i dont know exact amount and gov didn';t disclose..
othere fact is here..

CITIC will form a consortium with Thailand’s Charoen Pokphand Group Company Limited (CP Group), China Harbor Engineering Company Ltd (CHEC), China Merchants Holdings (International) Co LTD (CMHI) , TEDA Investment Holding (TEDA) and Yunnan Construction Engineering Group (YNJG).

Xinhua News Agency reported that after the completion of the project, the expected annual capacity of the Deep Sea Port will be 7.8 million tonnes of bulk cargo and 4.9 million TEU containers. With increased container throughput, the Deep Sea Port may upgrade to the complete container terminals, with the annual capacity of 7 million TEU containers.

The SEZ will also include an industrial park, and is touted to create 100,000 jobs.

Kyaukphyu SEZ is of great strategic importance to China as it is the terminal of the Sino-Myanmar oil and gas Pipeline.

https://www.mmbiztoday.com/articles/kyaukphyu-sez-bids-awarded

Nice. Yes I think 100,000 jobs for the Sittwe SEZ should also be the goal.

Excellent news...India, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam should integrate into trade union. India NE states will benefit immensely from this

Good development. India needs helpful neighbours to prosper.
Regarding the highway...wow thai massage is jus a drive away.

I'm waiting to go Bangkok by road. Long live India Myanmar friendship.
August 30, 2016 12:27 am JST
India to finish Myanmar, Thailand highway by 2020
KIRAN SHARMA, Nikkei staff writer

NEW DELHI -- An ambitious three-nation highway that will connect India with Thailand through Myanmar is a central plank of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Act East policy, which seeks to boost trade and connectivity with Southeast Asia.

20160829-modi-Htin-Kyaw_middle_320.jpg

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, right, received President Htin Kyaw of Myanmar in New Delhi on Monday. © Press Information Bureau

The 3,200km project conceived in 2002 came up for discussion when Modi received visiting Myanmar President Htin Kyaw on Monday.

Modi said "we are deeply honored" that Myanmar's president chose India for his "first bilateral state visit abroad" since being appointed in March after Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy won a landslide general election following decades of military rule.

After the leaders met, the two countries signed agreements on bridge construction, road upgrades, renewable energy, and traditional medicine.

"Myanmar is special for us," said Modi. "It holds a unique position in India's neighborhood -- it is a land bridge that connects India with Southeast Asia."

Most of India's trade with the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is seaborne. India and ASEAN signed a trade agreement for goods in 2009, and pacts on services and investment came into effect last year.

India-ASEAN trade saw average annual growth of 22% in the decade up to March 2012, but stagnated thereafter. In the financial year ending in March 2015, it was worth nearly $77 billion.

Indian officials are also interested in the onward access the India-Myanmar-Thailand highway will provide to Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. Initially, it will connect Moreh in the northeastern Indian state of Manipur to Mae Sot on the Thailand-Myanmar border.

Back
Top Bottom