India must grant Kashmir azadi from oppressive Army

CHD

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@rajnishaleen

Total Shares
Also read: India needs a referendum more than Kashmiris do

I do not hold Mufti Mohammad Sayeed or Mehbooba Mufti responsible for the outpouring of fury in Kashmir this year.

The mandate of the political leaders of Jammu and Kashmir has been limited to governance alone. For better or worse, they did what they could.

kashmir-embed_072416014145.jpg

Is it wrong for a people to demand freedom from the heavy militarisation of their land?
The onus for the inaction on Kashmir lies with the Centre. It was a policy freeze that did not allow the Centre to think beyond North Block.

The North Block houses the powerful home ministry that holds the reins in Kashmir.

Also read: India makes Kashmir poorer, not richer

It is foolish to totally blame Pakistan for what happens in my country, my family. It is for me to take ownership of what happens in my family. It is for me to keep my flock together with love and care.

Forget the wily, wicked neighbour. We do not need to talk to a devious nation that is cheating not just India but the world.

We need to talk to our own people, the Kashmiris. We did not do it.

Across mainland India, my opinion will elicit hate rants. Whataboutery will aim to muzzle me.

I can see the accusations flying fast and thick. What about Article 370? What about the forced Pandit exodus? What about the armed militancy that Kashmir chose against India? Why are you an apologist for terror?

These hate rants will take us nowhere. And I am not an apologist for terror.

Nature heals our wound bit by bit. The social, political and emotional wounds of Kashmir will be healed the same way. Bit by bit.

I am an admirer and supporter of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and his vision for India. Perhaps, in the coming decades, what the prime minister said on Kashmir will be proved right.

But in these times when Kashmir is bleeding and burning, I ponder over what Prime Minister Modi said at a rally in Srinagar in November 2015.

Addressing the carefully arranged crowd, as the then chief minister Mufti Sayeed looked on, Modi said, "I don't need advice or analysis from anyone in this world on Kashmir."

To his credit, the prime minister had also said that he wanted to work tirelessly for Kashmir's development, and "bring back the days when Kashmir was everyone's dream destination".

Amidst a thunderous applause, Modi announced a package of Rs 80,000 crore for the development of Jammu and Kashmir.

And yet, in less than a year, Kashmir has gone up in flames. Why?

Amidst all the media reportage on Kashmir since Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was killed, a single sentence has remained with me more than any other.

Irfan Ahmed Malik, a 15-year-old lad of Pulwama, was killed during a mob agitation against security forces a few days ago. What his father Manzoor Ahmed Malik told the Hindustan Times has been ringing in my ears.

"Why is India occupying our land? Why do men in uniform, who are not even from Kashmir, walk into our homes and demand proof of our identification? We want azadi from oppression."

It is this azadi, this simple freedom from the oppressive Army presence, that India did not grant Kashmir.

Is it wrong for a people to demand freedom from the heavy militarisation of their land?

Gradual removal of the Army's presence from Kashmir has not been demanded by the state government of Jammu and Kashmir alone.

Over the past decade, India's top strategic analysts advocated that the Army writ over the cities, towns and villages of Kashmir must be done away with. They cautioned that the Army should be moved to the borders, and stationed only in the most sensitive zones.

In December 2013, Shekhar Gupta, then editor-in-chief of The Indian Express, wrote the most impassioned plea for removal of the Army from Kashmir.

"The deepest, most painful scars are emotional. The healing touch for them has to be emotional too. It can't be a few more leaves out of your chequebook, nor any further tightening of the spiral of curfews and executions," Gupta wrote.

His plea was backed with reason. At the peak of the Kashmir insurgency, India lost up to 500 soldiers a year. The graph declined so dramatically and progressively since 2003 that in 2012, only 17 men from the security forces lost their lives in and around the Kashmir Valley. Civilian casualties declined accordingly.

With such relative peace and normalcy on the ground, there was scope for partial thinning of Army presence in Kashmir, and at least some symbolic dilution of the AFSPA.

We did not do it.

The Army refused to allow AFSPA to be revoked in Kashmir. For over ten years.

Which country are we living in, Gupta mocked. The obvious reference was to Pakistan, where the Army holds veto powers on critical government decisions.

In December 2013, one of India's top strategic affairs experts wrote that Kashmir was a crucial inflection point. It was crying out for a new set of peacetime and political ideas.

Gupta warned that such a significant change on the ground had to reflect in our policy on Kashmir, and towards Kashmiris.

"If the people of Kashmir have given us back peace and tranquility, they deserve a thank you note. Why then should Kashmir remain frozen now? Why should the Kashmiris be condemned to even less aspiration than their fellow Indians in Chhattisgarh?" Gupta questioned.

Gupta's column, "Disarming Kashmir", led to a flurry in the North Block.

On ground, no change happened.

No one in New Delhi was interested in discussing a policy change on Kashmir. The buck was passed through cold chains of bureaucracy, and through politicians who lacked the vision to think new.

No one wanted to take ownership of any fresh initiative on Kashmir.

Everybody loved the status quo. Nobody wanted to be fried if anything went wrong with a new policy on Kashmir.

Now, Kashmir is frying us. It is frying our conscience. Boys who nursed dreams and ambitions for a good life now set out with stones every morning to confront armed soldiers.

On July 22, Shiv Sainiks clashed with Muslims in Phagwara, Punjab. The Shiv Sainiks were protesting the suspension of the Amarnath yatra.

Never mind that in the mainstream media and also social media platforms, Hindu pilgrims have been thanking Kashmiri Muslims for helping them during the Amarnath yatra, and saving them during mishaps.

Jammu and Kashmir deputy chief minister Nirmal Singh, a BJP leader, admitted that there were no attacks on minorities or pilgrims during the Amarnath yatra.

Kashmiris are warm, gracious people who did not hate India. But we always saw them only through the prism of the Partition. We held them responsible for the forced exile of Kashmiri Pandits from their homeland.

The ordinary Kashmiri was not responsible for the militant violence that swept across his land. The silent majority was a scared spectator to this violence.

The Kashmiri boys and youth who are fighting the Indian Army are not the ones whose hands are bloodied.

We are the ones who are blinding, maiming and killing these children with "non-lethal pellet guns".

Despite peace returning to the Valley for years, we have failed to embrace the Kashmiris and win back their trust.

We are now paying the price for this monumental lapse in blood.

The children dying on the streets of Kashmir are our children, whom we condemned to live under the shadow of the soldier's gun.

As a political analyst has correctly noted, using force over decades has only led to less and less legitimacy of Indian claims on Kashmir.

Writer
RAJNI SHALEEN CHOPRA @rajnishaleen
The writer is co-organiser of Kashmir Literary Fest, Pahalgam Media Summit, Jammu Literary Fest; is political columnist for Rising Kashmir, a leading Kashmir daily.
http://www.dailyo.in/politics/kashm...pakistan-afspa-indian-army/story/1/11962.html

Kashmir is not india and never will be. 700 thousands army from many many years and still protesting.. no one make me come out of my house to protest with ABC reason even if anyone can pay money. There is geniune reason and india is fail to identify this reason .. if they are not stop throwing stone with exchange of bullet imagin if they start throwing bullets..

Pakistan must grant Pakistan occupied Kashmir azadi from oppressive army and ISI!
Our army holds position at kashmir boarder. They don't have a duty to oppress them nor have the reason nor they outnumber the civilians in valley. Do you know why? Because they loves Pakistan. :pakistan: They're Pakistan.

Pakistan must grant Pakistan occupied Kashmir azadi from oppressive army and ISI!
Bhai tere baat ko Salam
One side Indian are killing Kashmir and destroying their properties arresting young Boys and Raping Girls
on other side Kashmir is enjoying every facility of modern days no terrorism by Army no rape by army no Illegal arresting by army no damage to anyone's personal assets. more over Kashmiris are not protesting for Independence from Pakistan.

lol, pussies in Dailyo.in took down the article :rofl:
It might well be because she admires Modi. DailyO.in has extreme Modi hating policy so someone might have reported it. Its the leftist version of freedom of speech.

Occupied kashmir is spinning out of Indian control and in their frustration they are increasing the brutality against the native population. This will only harden the kashmiris resolve who have a legitimate demand for implementation of UN resolutions. Suicide rate is very high amongst the occupation forces now as well. Such a sad state of affairs, the british are partly to blame as well for leaving this mess behind.

Occupied kashmir is spinning out of Indian control and in their frustration they are increasing the brutality against the native population. This will only harden the kashmiris resolve who have a legitimate demand for implementation of UN resolutions. Suicide rate is very high amongst the occupation forces now as well. Such a sad state of affairs, the british are partly to blame as well for leaving this mess behind.
How exactly is it spinning out of our control?

Our army holds position at kashmir boarder. They don't have a duty to oppress them nor have the reason nor they outnumber the civilians in valley. Do you know why? Because they loves Pakistan. :pakistan: They're Pakistan.

Wake up.... dream is over!

Who are going to save these pure Pakistanis from the Chinese. They are literally looting them with the PA and political awaam enjoying the fruits. :sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

india me free me publicity paane ke liye log kuch log kuch bhi karega....

Back
Top Bottom