What's new

India delays test launch of Agni-V long-range missile

CarbonD

Reaction score
India has postponed the planned test launch of a long-range intercontinental ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads, officials say.

The locally-developed Agni-V missile was originally scheduled to have been launched on Wednesday in the eastern state of Orissa.

Defence officials said they had delayed the launch until Thursday because of heavy lightning in the area.

The missile has a range of more than 5,000km (3,100 miles),

"Due to heavy lightning in region, the Agni-V launch is postponed for safety reasons," a spokesman for the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Ravi Gupta, told the BBC.

Analysts say the Agni (meaning "fire" in Hindi and Sanskrit) missile family is to be the cornerstone of India's missile-based nuclear deterrent.

The missiles are among India's most sophisticated weapons.

In 2010, India successfully test-fired Agni-II, an intermediate-range ballistic missile with a range of more than 2,000km (1,250 miles).

'Game-changer'
Defence analyst Rahul Bedi says a successful test flight of the Agni-V missile, which is capable of delivering a single 1.5-ton warhead deep inside nuclear rival China's territory, would strengthen India's nuclear deterrence once it comes into service by 2014-15.

It is 17.5m-tall, solid-fuelled, has three stages and a launch weight of 50 tons. It has cost more than 2.5bn rupees ($480m; £307m) to develop.

Only China, Russia, France, the US, and Great Britain have such long-range missiles. Israel is thought to possess them.

"Agni-V is to meet our present-day threat perceptions, which are determined by our defence forces and other agencies," DRDO Ravi Gupta spokesman told AFP news agency.

"This is a deterrent to avoid wars and it is not country-specific," he said.

Mr Gupta said India "has a no-first-use policy", and described the country's missile development programme "purely defensive".

VK Saraswat, scientific adviser to Defence Minister AK Antony, told The Hindu newspaper that the launch will mark a "historic day".

"Agni-V is a game-changer and a technological marvel. It is a weapon which can perform multiple functions," he said.
BBC News - India delays test launch of Agni-V long-range missile

Indians delay everything

Lightning my arse.

The piece of junk will probably fall into the sea just like the North Korean missile.

The americans provided the technology, this missile is not even indigenous. All american technology.

Nah! You are confused.. We dont buy missiles from China which have a risk of falling off or breaking up like the NK one..

Lightning my arse.

The piece of junk will probably fall into the sea just like the North Korean missile.

The americans provided the technology, this missile is not even indigenous. All american technology.

Actually the missile will fail and fall on your head in lahore. :lol:

India can not even make a decent rifle and bullets for it, let alone anything else. All these missles-related stuff painted by India, primitive they are, are either outdated tecnologies begged from Russia, or from US/France, etc. This Agni-V looks as primitive those of WWII.

India can not even make a decent rifle and bullets for it, let alone anything else. All these missles-related stuff painted by India, primitive they are, are either outdated tecnologies begged from Russia, or from US/France, etc. This Agni-V looks as primitive as those of WWII.

Actually how much tech detail India put about Agni-5 in open, your scientist cant do that any time cause they know about (Chinese quality :lol:) your missile quality.....

You never know that your ICBM actually works or not

India can not even make a decent rifle and bullets for it, let alone anything else. All these missles-related stuff painted by India, primitive they are, are either outdated tecnologies begged from Russia, or from US/France, etc. This Agni-V looks as primitive as those of WWII.

A thief is always a thief. :rofl:

at what time they are going to test it tomorrow???

Lightning my arse.

India can not even make a decent rifle and bullets for it, let alone anything else. All these missles-related stuff painted by India, primitive they are, are either outdated tecnologies begged from Russia, or from US/France, etc. This Agni-V looks as primitive those of WWII.

Guies now it's time that you ask your CONTROLLER to give you better arguments. You su@k and su@k badly. I didn't belive myself that I am even considering reply for your posts.

1962 spanking. I am sorry if you got spanked that bad in 1962. But it 2012. Plz forget it
Lighting your @ss ??????? Nice @ss
Piece of junk will fall like NK .... Sorry we are India. And we didn't buy Chinese toys for defence purpose
American provided tech.......... Makeup your mind retard. Is it junk or American. It's different. Like Chinese or American Not same at a time

Speeder 2 good education is free in India. It's high time you educate your @ss
India can't make a decent rifle and bullets show me one Chinese rifle that is not derived from Basic Russian model. If you want to see Indian achievement in this field there is a special thread for Indian weapon systems. Do see it
In WW2 only Germany has V2 rockets. Those where not exact missiles but rockets. Did CPC forget you to teach that. Plus it wasn't Mao who invented missile tech. Not needed to remind you who saved your @ss there. Do I ?
Sometimes begging is better than stealing but you don't understand that Indian missile tech in this category is 100 % Indian.
We call COMMUNISTS the speaking parrots cause they keep talking without understanding a single word

i was wondering if we can delay missile launch for bad weather than on the time when we need it, will the weather decide its launch or the top brass of the country. Will we make excuse of bad weather than?

To all Chinese members, just make comments after they launch their missile.

Hopefully there are no more unnecessary flamebaits. :coffee:

i was wondering if we can delay missile launch for bad weather than on the time when we need it, will the weather decide its launch or the top brass of the country. Will we make excuse of bad weather than?

You are talking like our Chinese friends here. Its test. It collects data of various parameters of flight. So it need to be in favourable conditions. Top brass decide to launch inducted missile on enemy. Not the one in Trial. It was long way to go like MIRV. It will be induced as early as 2014. Not before that

Back
Top Bottom