India could have been nuclear in 1965 with US help

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Thursday, September 20, 2007

India could have been nuclear in 1965 with US help

* Report says US against nuclear test because of India’s non-aligned worldview

LAHORE: India could have conducted nuclear tests in February 1965 if it had been given the “green signal” from Washington –- well within a year of the Chinese nuclear blast at Lop Nor in 1964, reported the Times of India on Wednesday.

According to the daily, a recently declassified US State Department “memorandum of conversation” from February 22, 1965, revealed that India’s Department of Nuclear Energy Secretary Homi J Bhabha “explicitly” told US Undersecretary of State George W Ball that “if India went all out, it could produce a nuclear device in 18 months, and with a US blueprint it could do the job in six months”. The memo, along with several other documents, has been reproduced and released for the public in the book ‘India and the United States: Politics of the Sixties’ by senior journalist Kalyani Shankar, reported the Times. It said that according to the document, the US did not support India’s nuclear test because it was trying to ensure that all major non-nuclear countries renounced nuclear weapons.

US versus India: However, “the subtext from several other declassified letters, memorandums and reports of US Directorate of Intelligence, CIA and then American ambassador in Delhi Chester Bowles’ letters to US officials in Washington reveal that it was India’s inheritance of Nehru’s non-aligned worldview and Delhi’s refusal to support the US in several key international situations through the 1960s” that resulted in there being no nuclear agreement between the two countries until the ‘123’ agreement.

The Times also quoted Indira Gandhi, in one of her letters to then-US President Lyndon B Johnson from May 12, 1966, where she described the extent of hostile opposition she faced. daily times monitor

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

as an indian i wish it had taken place.

but alas itwasn't to be.

yaar neo, i suggest that u stop pouring salt into our wounds. regarding issues such as these & the 1965 war.

lets be competitors not enemies .

i can tell u that indians r trying to forget their past with pakistan, but only if somebody lets us.

let bygones be bygones.

indo-pak dosti zindabad

as an indian i wish it had taken place.

but alas itwasn't to be.

yaar neo, i suggest that u stop pouring salt into our wounds. regarding issues such as these & the 1965 war.

lets be competitors not enemies .

i can tell u that indians r trying to forget their past with pakistan, but only if somebody lets us.

let bygones be bygones.

indo-pak dosti zindabad

Is this monkey on crack? :undecided: Plus, how is he banned so fast?

Back
Top Bottom