What's new

In a first-of-its kind, Japan offers to sell aircraft to India

Bl[i]tZ

Reaction score
In a sign of increasingly closer defence ties, Japan has for the first time offered to sell military equipment to India. While Tokyo has traditionally been wary of exporting military equipment to any part of the world, it has for the first time offered to sell multi-role amphibious aircraft that the Indian Navy needs for a variety of roles, including electronic warfare.

Sources said the matter was discussed during Defence Minister A K Antony’s visit to Japan last month and Tokyo expressed its keenness to share high-end military technology with India and even explore the possibility of joint development. :yahoo:

While the offer has been appreciated by India, which has identified key areas where defence technology can be shared, it has been conveyed that the amphibious aircraft would need to take part in competitive trials as per the procurement process. :angry: Unlike the US and Russia, where several defence deals have been signed without a global competition, India does not have any mechanism for direct government-government sales with Japan.:angry:

It is learnt that the Japanese government has granted permission to ShinMaywa Corporation to respond to a global request for information by the Indian Navy. Sources said the company has offered an aircraft named ShinMaywa SS 3 I in response to a Request for Information (RFI) issued by the Navy. Responses have also been received from Canada’s Bombardier and Russia’s Beriev company.

Japan has a strict policy on export of defence equipment and there is an unofficial ban on arms export despite the nation having a robust defence industry that caters for domestic needs. The ban, however, is being reconsidered with public statements in the past few months alluding to a modification in export policy. Tokyo is also considering opening up to joint ventures and joint developmental projects with other like-minded nations.

While co-development would be a step in the future, the offer of an amphibian plane is being seen as a sign of close military ties between the nations. :tup:

In a first, Japan offers to sell aircraft to India - Indian Express

getasset.aspx

Never heard of this aircraft. Does anybody have any detailed info on this?

Outstanding! This is an awesome news. Not about the aircraft but change in Japanese mindset. I always thought India-Japan relation is as important as India-US relation if not more. Well done GoI.

This is one the greatest news. Japanese navy was very strong during WW 2 but it is still strong. All they need is a good partnership and i think India can be that partner. Also we should ask for composite tech for MBTs. We can also get help in aesa development from Japanese as they also have their own aesa. Partnership in 5th gen fighter jet and AURA UCAV can also be of great help.

good move..Japs are very good in electronic warfare, actually love get hand on few upgraded P3 Orion.

Japan doesn't export any offensive systems. Even my country uses a small patrol ship from Japan.

The term "Jap" is considered both racist and offensive.

Dont worry they wont mind giving us even nuke if they have.. afterall we gave them Buddha, cant they give some materialistic offerings t the land of buddha..??;)

Dont worry they wont mind giving us even nuke if they have.. afterall we gave them Buddha, cant they give some materialistic offerings t the land of buddha..??;)

Damn, really? I though Japan was a pacifist nation :lol:

Japan also has Shintoism.

Back
Top Bottom