What's new

IMF: Iran economy stabilizing, to soar if deal reached

ResurgentIran

Reaction score
Iran’s economy is stabilizing and will post substantially stronger growth if the Islamic republic reaches a comprehensive deal with world powers on its nuclear program, the IMF said yesterday.

The International Monetary Fund estimates that Iran’s economy shrank by 1.7 percent in 2013, the second straight year of contraction after the United States and its allies imposed sweeping sanctions.

But the IMF projects that Iran’s economy will rebound by 1.5 percent in the current year—even if sanctions relief under a temporary deal proves short- lived—as Tehran undertakes reforms.

Masood Ahmed, director of the IMF’s Middle East and Central Asia department, said that Iran’s economic woes were “beginning to level off” but that much depends on whether the country reaches a comprehensive nuclear deal.

“We do think that if there is a permanent improvement in that international environment... this should have an impact in terms of generating growth rates in the medium term that are substantially higher,” Ahmed told reporters at the IMF/World Bank spring meetings in Washington.

daily sun | Business | Iran economy stabilizing, to soar if deal reached: IMF
----------------------------------

I dont actually see a final deal happening anytime soon.
The gap between Iran and US (the main actor in P5+1) are too big to overcome, and what will probably happen is that the interim deal will be extended a number of times. So interim deal will be the new status quo, for a while.

@Serpentine @Gilamard @Shapur Zol Aktaf @haman10 @kollang @mohsen @raptor22 @DATIS @JEskandari @S00R3NA @Sam1980

I think, that final deal will never reach, Americans have brought every non-nuclear matter as a condition for the final deal (even our military capabilities, or supporting Hizbollah, Hams,...), so unlike Americans want to change their words (which I doubt), the final deal is absolutely unreachable. after several months still we don't have access to the installments, the same thing for the spare parts for airplanes, insurance companies still refuse to accept Iranian ships,...
so I really hop they don't even extend this 6 months deal.

Let's hope a final deal will be reached. :-)

Don't wish to see a war taking place ....
I think, that final deal will never reach, Americans have brought every non-nuclear matter as a condition for the final deal (even our military capabilities, or supporting Hizbollah, Hams,...), so unlike Americans want to change their words (which I doubt), the final deal is absolutely unreachable. after several months still we don't have access to the installments, the same thing for the spare parts for airplanes, insurance companies still refuse to accept Iranian ships,...

Without iran having destroyed its nuclear assets completely,i mean completely nothing would change.

Iran has far too many enemies in the region to let it happen.namely saudi and israel who are workrng as a team on this.

I just hope chabahar port development by india gains traction as india,iran and afganistan all will benefit

Without iran having destroyed its nuclear assets completely,i mean completely nothing would change.

Iran has far too many enemies in the region to let it happen.namely saudi and israel who are workrng as a team on this.

I just hope chabahar port development by india gains traction as india,iran and afganistan all will benefit

Frankly much depends on nuclear deal. I dont think Chah Bahar will see meaningful development and come into real frutition, unless nuclear negotiations and a whole range of other issues are solved.

If a deal is reached and empty-skull MB-Khomeinists allow more press and political freedom inside Iran, Iran will rise like a star.

I don't wish for a war, I just reviewed current state. also nobody dares to enter a war with Iran.

Let just be realistic a bit here.

Practically, the US can turn the ME into ashes. Let alone Iran.

Give it a rest bro.

@ResurgentIran

You're right about them extending the interim deal several times, just like they do with I/P negotiations. Although they could gain something out of negotiations with Iran.

It will be extended all throughout the remainder of the Obama administration. What I fear is what would happen during the elections phase in the United States.

1. Israel will probably like every time see it as an opportunity to attack Gaza
2. Which party will prevail in the US? Most likely democrats will get majority although maybe democrats will work to torpedo this agreement. If republicans get into power then you don't know what would happen until we see.

Frankly much depends on nuclear deal. I dont think Chah Bahar will see meaningful development and come into real frutition, unless nuclear negotiations and a whole range of other issues are solved.

Its possible if india shows some spine.also afgans are very keen on this port development.
But yeah,its chances without nuclear deal are quite low

Let just be realistic a bit here.

Practically, the US can turn the ME into ashes. Let alone Iran.

Give it a rest bro.

You're not taking into account cost-benefit analysis, global economy, stability, interests, etc...

The US sees the Asia region as more preferable and they want to invest their interests there.

@ResurgentIran

You're right about them extending the interim deal several times, just like they do with I/P negotiations. Although they could gain something out of negotiations with Iran.

It will be extended all throughout the remainder of the Obama administration. What I fear is what would happen during the elections phase in the United States.

1. Israel will probably like every time see it as an opportunity to attack Gaza
2. Which party will prevail in the US? Most likely democrats will get majority although maybe democrats will work to torpedo this agreement. If republicans get into power then you don't know what would happen until we see.

I really see no difference between democrats and republicans when it comes to dealing with Iran.
AIPAC has wielded its enormous influence in both parties.

We aren't talking about economics, we are talking about the US's capabilities, and all.
You're not taking into account cost-benefit analysis, global economy, stability, interests, etc...

The US sees the Asia region as more preferable and they want to invest their interests there.

We aren't talking about economics, we are talking about the US's capabilities, and all.

I know but you need to include every aspect in an scenario of war, we won't enter war in which we won't gain a thing.

Btw, which candidates do you think could have any leverage in the 2016 presidential race? I honestly can't think of any that stand out.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom