What's new

IIT-Madras bans student group for criticising PM Modi, his policies

Donatello

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
CHENNAI: In a controversial move, IIT-Madras has banned a discussion forum for students following an anonymous complaint that it tried to spread "hatred" against Prime Minister Modi by mobilizing SC/ST students to question government policies on the use of Hindi and the ban on cow slaughter.

The decision followed after the ministry of human resource development (MHRD) made an inquiry regarding the anonymous complaint it had received on the activities of the Ambedkar Periyar Student Circle (APSC) on the IIT campus. The complainant had enclosed one of APSC's pamphlets reproducing a speech which criticized the Modi government and its policies.

In the letter to the IIT director dated May 15, Prisca Mathew, under secretary to the government of India, wrote, "I am directed to forward herewith a copy of anonymous letter alleging serious complaints received from students, IIT-Madras along with pamphlet issued by Ambedkar-Periyar study circle on the above mentioned subject and to request that comments of the institute may please be sent to this ministry at an early date."

A week later, on May 24, the IIT dean (for students), Sivakumar M Srinivasan, sent a terse email to the coordinators of the APSC informing them that they had been "derecognized". Members of APSC are now up in arms pointing out that the HRD ministry's action and the IIT's decision to ban their activities was based on an anonymous complaint by right-wing groups and that they were denied a hearing.

47463587.cms

The group demanded to know how an 'anonymous' letter represented the majority opinion of students of IIT-Madras. "We object to the fact that the dean has derecognized our study circle unilaterally without giving us a fair hearing and an opportunity to represent ourselves. In our interaction with the dean of students, we have been told that our study circle engaged in "controversial activities" and violated the code of conduct of independent student bodies. We are clear in our stand that we have not misused any privileges given by the institute," said a member of the APSC, seeking anonymity.

The APSC was created as a discussion forum on April 14, 2014 by a group of politically-inclined students from IIT-Madras to promote the ideology and writings of B R Ambedkar and Periyar. The objective was to initiate debates on socio-economic and cultural issues while examining them through the prism of Dalit rights and aspirations of the backward classes.

The 'controversial' pamphlet that the MHRD forwarded was the copy of a speech by a Dravidian University academic R Vivekandanda Gopal on the "Contemporary relevance of Dr Ambedkar". The event was organised by the APSC on the campus. The pamphlet reproduced portions in which the speaker had criticized the Modi regime for "pro-corporate" policies such as the Land Acquisition Bill and insurance and labour reforms. He had also accused the government of "communally polarizing" people by introducing a ban on cow slaughter and through ghar wapsi programs.

Justifying his decision to ban the group, dean Sivakumar M Srinivasan, said, "There are certain procedures to be followed and in this case, the APSC has broken the basic code of conduct. They have misused privileges given to them. So the action was inevitable." He said after receiving the letter from MHRD, he conducted an enquiry and found that "the allegations were true".

Following the ban, APSC can no longer use facilities on the campus including the auditoriums for its functions.

Source:
IIT-Madras bans student group for criticising PM Modi, his policies - The Times of India

So IIT students are the smartest in India, and even they have figured out the Modi agenda.....but what does the institute do? Shut them down.

Liking or not liking Modi is a personal choice...but that is no reason to incite violence in the University campus. IIT has a reputation in the world which has to preserved.
there was no violence.
and watever was written in the pamplet is quite true (in the same sense that modi is transforming indian economy etc etc ).
even if it wasnt true , watsup with the banning stuff ??? bootlicking for more grants ??? i thot iit s were quite sugficient in funding.
n btw , (for my pak brethren), modi didnt ban the group, the college authorities did.

Unfortunately, even morons make it to the IITs. Kejru is an apt example of that.

Anyway, how many members did this lil group even have? 5? 10? :lol:

The key point is, you can't use institute infrastructure and facilities to spread hate. These silly students can do that on their own time and with their own money.

there was no violence.
and watever was written in the pamplet is quite true (in the same sense that modi is transforming indian economy etc etc ).
even if it wasnt true , watsup with the banning stuff ??? bootlicking for more grants ??? i thot iit s were quite sugficient in funding.
n btw , (for my pak brethren), modi didnt ban the group, the college authorities did.

What did Modi ban ? Maharashtra govt banned beef and majority of people their welcome the move , and government has made it clear that can states can chose to ban or not ban slaughter in accordance with the sentiments of their local populace

Liking or not liking Modi is a personal choice...but that is no reason to incite violence in the University campus. IIT has a reputation in the world which has to preserved.

Unfortunately, even morons make it to the IITs. Kejru is an apt example of that.

Anyway, how many members did this lil group even have? 5? 10? :lol:

The key point is, you can't use institute infrastructure and facilities to spread hate. These silly students can do that on their own time and with their own money.

The students were not banned only for Criticizing Modi - there were some vulgar posters and pamphlets promoting caste hatred inside campus- as usual times of india is peddling half truth (i can't post links - check reddit india to know more)

a
What did Modi ban ? Maharashtra govt banned beef and majority of people their welcome the move , and government has made it clear can states can chose to ban or not ban slaughter in accordance with the sentiments of their local populace

The students were not banned only for Criticizing Modi - there were some vulgar posters and pamphlets promoting caste hatred inside campus- as usual times of india is peddling half truth (i can't post links - check reddit india to know more)
abey chandu ghutiye, read the last line of my post.

no am not talking about students . You said modi 'banned stuff' am simply asking you what did he ban?
i said -
1)wat the pamplet said was more or less true, and
2) modi DID NOT ban the group, the college authorities did.
i think i have made myself sufficiently clear this time.
if something is still left in ur mind, plz look at the image on the OP.

I am myself a graduate from an NIT, and some of the students who shared the same classroom as me had the combined marks in three subjects (PCM) less than my marks in a single subject. But there is definitely a deep sense of resentment against reservation amongst many of the students. And that blow up anytime the flames reach the threshold of what they believe is their limit of tolerance.
i agree there is resentment. after all, after getting used to undue advantages for ages, this minor disadvantage wud pierce the flesh as hell.
that said, the present caste based reservation is flawed. but do we have an answer for that ???? how about reservations based on financial strength ??? i feel like doing a rofl on that idea. the ppl who roam in mercedes will have income certificates proving that they are worse than beggars.
is that the justice u are looking for ??
all i can say (and i know thats idiotic thing to say ), the bad deeds of some ppl made their children suffer. u know what i mean.
sad state of affairs

Well of course, only the group was de-recognized.

Anyway, clear stage managed nautanki by Congis. Now, wait for their bimbo leader to open his mouth and entertain us with his pearls of wisdom. :rofl:

Oh this is different from what you think. For one thing, IITs, IIMs and perhaps even NITs are sitting on a time bomb, a molotov cocktail of very strong, at times acidic emotive opinions on reservation. It won't take too much effort to set of a very violent chain reaction across the country.

There is already intense dislike aimed at the system of reservation in these institutes, and a part of that hate does trickle down to the students who do enter via reservation. And then you have such groups making the following claims.

CGEnCEUUIAAoym4.jpg

CGEnC_AUMAAP0Bx.jpg

I am myself a graduate from an NIT, and some of the students who shared the same classroom as me had the combined marks in three subjects (PCM) less than my marks in a single subject. Now don't get me wrong, I don't feel anger towards them, in fact I couldn't care less. But there is definitely a deep sense of resentment against reservation amongst many of the students. And that blow up anytime the flames reach the threshold of what they believe is their limit of tolerance.

What has caste to do with a PhD or MS...if you have the brains ... compete and get a seat. I am a ST myself who haven't availed quota for any admissions or scholarships. I completely agree with you.

Presstitutes at it again. They were not banned bcoz they criticised Modi, rather bcoz they made casteist remarks against other students and faculty members. And IIT themselves said that the decision to ban the group was theirs and not Smriti Irani's

CGJaBkcUQAIqFf1.png:large

Details about this group:

APC.jpg

The group calls for destruction of Hinduism and bimbo RaGa and Congis in their haste to attack Modi put their weight behind this Hindu-hating group. Thus, RahulInsultsHinduism trending.

This guy will really lead Congis to single digits. :yahoo:

Last edited:
CHENNAI: In a controversial move, IIT-Madras has banned a discussion forum for students following an anonymous complaint that it tried to spread "hatred" against Prime Minister Modi by mobilizing SC/ST students to question government policies on the use of Hindi and the ban on cow slaughter.

The decision followed after the ministry of human resource development (MHRD) made an inquiry regarding the anonymous complaint it had received on the activities of the Ambedkar Periyar Student Circle (APSC) on the IIT campus. The complainant had enclosed one of APSC's pamphlets reproducing a speech which criticized the Modi government and its policies.

In the letter to the IIT director dated May 15, Prisca Mathew, under secretary to the government of India, wrote, "I am directed to forward herewith a copy of anonymous letter alleging serious complaints received from students, IIT-Madras along with pamphlet issued by Ambedkar-Periyar study circle on the above mentioned subject and to request that comments of the institute may please be sent to this ministry at an early date."

A week later, on May 24, the IIT dean (for students), Sivakumar M Srinivasan, sent a terse email to the coordinators of the APSC informing them that they had been "derecognized". Members of APSC are now up in arms pointing out that the HRD ministry's action and the IIT's decision to ban their activities was based on an anonymous complaint by right-wing groups and that they were denied a hearing.

47463587.cms

The group demanded to know how an 'anonymous' letter represented the majority opinion of students of IIT-Madras. "We object to the fact that the dean has derecognized our study circle unilaterally without giving us a fair hearing and an opportunity to represent ourselves. In our interaction with the dean of students, we have been told that our study circle engaged in "controversial activities" and violated the code of conduct of independent student bodies. We are clear in our stand that we have not misused any privileges given by the institute," said a member of the APSC, seeking anonymity.

The APSC was created as a discussion forum on April 14, 2014 by a group of politically-inclined students from IIT-Madras to promote the ideology and writings of B R Ambedkar and Periyar. The objective was to initiate debates on socio-economic and cultural issues while examining them through the prism of Dalit rights and aspirations of the backward classes.

The 'controversial' pamphlet that the MHRD forwarded was the copy of a speech by a Dravidian University academic R Vivekandanda Gopal on the "Contemporary relevance of Dr Ambedkar". The event was organised by the APSC on the campus. The pamphlet reproduced portions in which the speaker had criticized the Modi regime for "pro-corporate" policies such as the Land Acquisition Bill and insurance and labour reforms. He had also accused the government of "communally polarizing" people by introducing a ban on cow slaughter and through ghar wapsi programs.

Justifying his decision to ban the group, dean Sivakumar M Srinivasan, said, "There are certain procedures to be followed and in this case, the APSC has broken the basic code of conduct. They have misused privileges given to them. So the action was inevitable." He said after receiving the letter from MHRD, he conducted an enquiry and found that "the allegations were true".

Following the ban, APSC can no longer use facilities on the campus including the auditoriums for its functions.

Source:
IIT-Madras bans student group for criticising PM Modi, his policies - The Times of India

So IIT students are the smartest in India, and even they have figured out the Modi agenda.....but what does the institute do? Shut them down.
Nd ironically the decision was based on an 'anonymous' letter. And those aying modi didnt ban, then eveeryone knows what terrorist org bjp ia.no wonder dean would have recieved calls or out of fear he did the ban. Which is highly stupid. Cuz what those students are saying is absolutely true. Indias land acquisition bill really has the poors of eastern and north east india suffering.

CGJaBkcUQAIqFf1.png:large

Details about this group:

APC.jpg

The group calls for destruction of Hinduism and bimbo RaGa and Congis in their haste to attack Modi put their weight behind this Hindu-hating group. Thus, RahulInsultsHinduism trending.

This guy will really lead Congis to single digits. :yahoo:

If they are so butthurt, why don't they make it official and join Christianity?

As someone said: "There is no cure for inferiority complex".

Back
Top Bottom