What's new

IAF plans air combat game to attract young recruits

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
IAF plans air combat game to attract young recruits - Mumbai Mirror

With an aim to boost recruitment, the Indian Air Force (IAF), for the first time, plans to develop a gaming app that gives the youth a taste of air combat using advanced weapons and aircraft.

The IAF has issued a request through the Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity (DAVP) to interested gaming companies. 'Air headquarters, Vayu Bhawan, New Delhi, invites expressions of interest for a mobile gaming application for the IAF. The aim is to develop a high-end air combat game based on the IAF which appeals to the youth and motivates them to join the actual league,' it says.

Sources in the force revealed that there was an acute shortage of staff, including officers and personnel below the rank of officer. Going by official figures quoted by Defence Minister A K Antony in December 2012 (these figures are released at the end of every year), the armed forces were facing a shortage of around 13,000 officers and 53,700 personnel below the rank of officers, with the IAF facing a shortage of 962 officers and around 7,000 airmen. The force hopes that more youngsters will want to apply to the IAF once they have used the application.

Those who aspire to join the force have to take either the National Defence Academy (NDA) entrance test (for undergraduates) or the Combined Defence Services (CDS) examination (for graduates), both of which are held twice a year. Aspiring pilots have to take the Pilot Aptitude Battery Test (PABT), an aptitude test which one can take only once.

THE APP

Targeting youngsters aged 13 years or above, the gaming app will run on Android and iOS (previously iPhone OS) platforms. However, the game can also run on the PlayStation and be integrated with social media platforms. It will support multiple players.

The plan is to expose the player to digital versions of the aircraft used by the IAF, including the Sukhoi series, Hawks, MiGs, Jaguars, Mirages and high-end choppers. The player will get to use the force's most advanced weaponry during combat and mock air bases in the multi-level game. Sources also said that IAF would like to include several of its past operations as missions in the game, including the recent relief and rescue operations at Uttarakhand, during which the force saved over 25,000 stranded people.

MEETING WITH TOP GAMING COMPANIES

The IAF has called for a pre-bid meeting on August 8 with top gaming companies that are interested in the project to discuss the modalities of the application. When Mirror contacted Wing Commander Gerard Galway, the IAF's public relations officer, said he was unaware of the development.

The PR efferts are good and can be said a nice move.
But the gamers will be the target :undecided:

Why not start flying clubs arcoss india with simple gliders and may be once a month send IAF turbo planes there to increse curacity.

AFAIK actaul flying evenif hand or para gliders will produce more pilots than addicted gamers. ( I too was once in that categary ;) )

this game is not for pc???damn.. :pissed:

by the way,I'm with @Sergi ...starting flying clubs as well as first hand experience of para gliding will bring more interest than this games..

Last edited by a moderator:
Israel has always been genuinely innovative , i remember Jane's airforce game , i hope this one will be better one.

this game is not for pc???damn.. :pissed:

by the way,I'm with @Sergi ...starting flying clubs as well as first hand experience of para gliding will bring more interest than this games..

Excatly , retired IAF officers should be encouraged to open such clubs and GOI should provide them good quality material at low cost so the paricipation fees could be kept low.

+ one pilot trainning college/institue per State to have decent number of private/commercial pilots too.
I remember GOI started similar institue in UP. But one is not enough for the size of our country

Pilots cannot be mass produced.

It requires special aptitude and excellent medical fitness to be a pilot and on top of that you need to be a adrenaline junkie who loves adventure.(needless to say the amount of hard work required)

Launching games would hardly make a difference IMHO.

There are already games out there. I suggest:

ACE COMBAT (great series)

Already exists and the game in its PC form as very moddable as should this be.
Also, the company is very willing for investment.

May not produce pilots,but can potentially produce good pool of UCAV/UAV controllers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom