What's new

IAF fighter strength to dip further

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
After spending USD 30 billion on the FGFA and USD 20 billion on the MMRCA, the Indian Air Force will be left with a serious shortfall of at least 14 squadrons in 2032, going by the ‘best-case scenario’.

IAFfighters-600-x-280.jpg

The IAF’s shortage of fighter aircraft is expected to get progressively worse even after the expenditure of around USD 60 billion on new acquisitions and upgrades, by 2032.

The head of the Indian Air Force (IAF), Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha, admitted concerns about the continuing delays in the acquisition of fighter aircraft earlier this month, which have left the air force with an increasingly ageing fleet. But the IAF is staring at an inevitable long-term shortage of fighter aircraft even with its current plans for acquisition, with at least 10 squadrons expected to go out of service by the year 2032, leading to a shortage of around 200 fighter aircraft.

This assessment is what has emerged from the discussions at the Vayu-StratPost Air Power Roundtable held in July.

The IAF plans to acquire 126 Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) at a cost estimated to be around USD 20 billion, for which it is negotiating with the French Dassault for its Rafale aircraft.

India is also partnering with Russia to acquire Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) for which, it has spent USD 295 million and committed a further USD 5.5 billion. The project is estimated to ultimately cost India close to USD 30 billion.

During discussions at the roundtable, which comprised defense journalists and recently retired senior officers, who have had much to do with the IAF’s fighter procurement programs, numbers and timelines emerged which have been put together from the IAF’s current procurement plans and incontrovertibly point to a fighter aircraft shortage crisis, as well as, a financially unsustainable fighter fleet.

The current projections of force accretion for the Indian Air Force assume a ‘best-case scenario’ in which the production rate of the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Mk I is at least eight aircraft per year, the MMRCA contract is concluded in the 2014-2015 period and the FGFA development faces no further delays.

Given these assumptions, the MiG-21M, MiG-21bis and the MiG-27M/UPG are expected to be phased out by 2017 and the Indian Air Force fighter fleet will begin inducting the FGFA and MMRCA the same year and will consist of these two aircraft, in addition to the LCA and the Sukhoi-30MKI, by the year 2032, by when the upgraded Mirage-2000H/I, the MiG-29B/UPG and the Jaguar IS/IM are expected to retire.

But the problem is that the Indian Air Force will continue to be vulnerable to shortfalls right through 2032, going by current ‘best-case scenario’ projections.

In 2017, with the virtually inescapable retirement of the four squadrons of MiG-21M, five squadrons of MiG-27M/UPG and one squadron of MiG-21bis aircraft, the shortfall in fighter squadron strength will go up to 10, leaving the Indian Air Force with only 32 squadrons, given assumptions under the ‘best-case scenario’ of the induction of one squadron of LCA Mk I.

Squadron numbers will be alleviated in 2022 with the induction of one squadron of Sukhoi-30MKI, four squadrons of the MMRCA, and one squadron each of the LCA and FGFA. But the Indian Air Force will still see the retirement of two squadrons of the MiG-21 Bison, leaving it with 37 squadrons and a shortfall of five squadrons.

2027 will see the retirement of the remaining four MiG-21 Bison squadrons, the induction of two MMRCA squadrons and three squadrons of FGFA, bringing the total number up to 38 squadrons, with a shortfall of only four squadrons.

But in 2032, with all new inductions into the Indian Air Force having already been completed, and with the retirement of six Jaguar IS/IM squadrons, three squadrons of the Mirage 2000 H/I and three squadrons of the MiG-29 B/UPG, it will see face an even higher shortfall of 14 squadrons and be left with only 28 squadrons.

If projections of the likely required total squadron number of 45 at that point are correct, this shortfall will go up to 17 squadrons.

After spending USD 30 billion on the FGFA, USD 20 billion on the MMRCA, the Indian Air Force will be left with a serious shortfall of at least 14 squadrons in 2032, assuming what plays out is the ‘best-case scenario’.

This is in addition to the cost of the upgrade programs on the Mirage-2000 H/I, the Jaguar IS/IM and the MiG-29 B/UPG. While the upgrade of the Mirage-2000 H/I will cost USD 2.2 billion, the Jaguar IS/IM upgrade will cost USD 514 million and the MiG-29B/UPG upgrade, USD 946 million, with planned completion in 2021, 2017 and 2016, respectively.

It is also important to note that this shortfall is on the basis of the assumption that the requirement for squadron numbers in 2032 will remain what it is today. But there is no reason to suppose this to be a correct assumption, even despite the multi-role nature of the newer aircraft being inducted.

Indeed, the requirement of squadrons, including the shortfall and required force accretion could go over 20 squadrons or 400 aircraft.

Part of the reason for this shortfall is the lack of success of the LCA development program. It is no secret that the IAF has been unhappy with the capability of the LCA as it stands and has had to be cajoled into ordering two squadrons of the aircraft, with a promise from the development agencies to produce a more powerful Mk II. This variant is also imperative for the Indian Navy, as the Mk I is under-powered for carrier operations.

When the IAF was considering its future requirements in the nineties, it was given assurances of the time-frame in which deliveries of the LAC would take place. On the basis of these assurances, the IAF decided to upgrade 125 MiG-21 aircraft to the Bison variant. But with continues delays in the LCA program, the IAF has since had to place orders for additional Sukhoi-30MKI aircraft, as well as look to the MMRCA program as a necessity, rather than a measure for force accretion.

But the fact remains that the Sukhoi-30 MKI, the Rafale (selected as the MMRCA) and the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) are all heavy aircraft with a high cost of ownership and operation. Attempting to place any of these in the role meant to be carried out by the LCA would be too expensive to be practical.

Much depends of the fate of the development of the LCA Mk II and the promise for all the shortcomings of the Mk I.

It will be noted that the ‘best case scenario’ outlined above does not include the LCA Mk II. This is because the aircraft remains on paper today, and with no real accountability or the discipline of deadlines, the IAF has no faith in the production of a Mk II in a usable and time-sensitive configuration.

While the exact shortcomings of the Mk I and the specific challenges in the development of the Mk II were beyond the scope of the roundtable and this report, there is no great secret here.

If it does not succeed within a much shorter time-frame than the 30-year span of the Mk I development, the problem has to be acknowledged by the highest quarters in government, which will then have to look for urgent alternatives to the LCA, for the role initially envisaged for it.

Unless either the LCA Mk II far exceeds current expectations or the government looks for alternatives for it, the shortfall described above in the ‘best case scenario’ will remain at a minimum at the numbers mentioned above.

But, in any case, if the IAF is going to be short of at least 200 aircraft after spending USD 60 billion in the year 2032, there could be a case to review the fighter fleet mix and structure being proposed to be acquired under current plans. While a problem eighteen years away might seem distant, the long timelines required for defense acquisition and production in India make it a matter of importance and urgency.

Place an order for 2 more squadrons of LCA mk1

Have 2 production lines ( HAL and private ) to churn out mk 2 in short time possible.

There is only one financially viable solution - ramp up the production rate of LCA.

Anyway, as the article states, these forecasts all exclude the LCA mk2. So there is nothing new in these "predictions".

this is the most probable IAF fleet by 2032 AD

FGFA: 180+(If production starts by 2022)
AMCA: 20+(If production starts by 2030)

Rafale: 126+
Su-30 MKI: 272

LCA MK1: 40
LCA MK2: 150+(if production starts by 2022)

Mirage 2k: 51- (to be retired by late 2030s)
Mig-29: 61-(to be retired by late 2030s)

Jaguar: 100-(to be retired by late 2030s)

So total number goes around: 1000 which is roughly 50 Squadrons for IAF<which is pretty solid I say>

So total number goes around: 1000 which is roughly 50 Squadrons for IAF<which is pretty solid I say>
Looks like it is the not the BEST but the ULTIMATE BEST BEST BEST case scenario....!

I find it hard for Mirage 2000s, Mig 29s and Jaguars to last another 17-18 years.

Looks like it is the not the BEST but the ULTIMATE BEST BEST BEST case scenario....!

its the most probable scenario, the numbers might go up for rafale and super sukhois if economy keeps the growth momentum.

I find it hard for Mirage 2000s, Mig 29s and Jaguars to last another 17-18 years.

they are going under intense upgrade all three types Mirage, Migs and Jaguars and the various reports says they will add another 20+ years to the platform. The current upgrade timelines for these fighters itself is late in the decade. So if some fighter is upgraded by 2018 with addition of 3000 flying hours that means at least 15 years of regressive flying time .

Last edited:
its the most probable scenario, the numbers might go up for rafale and super sukhois if economy keeps the growth momentum.

they are going under intense upgrade all three types Mirage, Migs and Jaguars and the various reports says they will add another 20+ years to the platform.
Migs and the Mirage can but i dont think the jags will do 20 years more :disagree:

Migs and the Mirage can but i dont think the jags will do 20 years more :disagree:

More teeth for jaguar: Nearly 120 of the Indian Air Force jets are being modernised | Daily Mail Online

From the article: The Jaguars, the only aircraft with the IAF capable of carrying nuclear weapons other than the Mirage-2000s, are being fitted with autopilots, next generation avionics and lethal armaments under an ambitious modernisation programme that will see the fighters flying well after 2030.

Nearly 120 Jaguars are being modernised. So far, the IAF has procured autopilots for 55 Jaguars and talks for 95 more, which includes spare autopilots, are underway, according to information shared by the government in Parliament.

so for Jaguars I can say we can add 1 more squadron as I estimated 100 only :)

they are going under intense upgrade all three types Mirage, Migs and Jaguars and the various reports says they will add another 20+ years to the platform. The current upgrade timelines for these fighters itself is late in the decade. So if some fighter is upgraded by 2018 with addition of 3000 flying hours that means at least 15 years of regressive flying time .

Yup, so even if you push them that far, and assuming little attrition losses, you'll need to replace 200+ of these as well by then, and they would be on their last legs.

MMRCA is going to replace Migs, FGFA we don't know when they will be available, so numbers would be same or less by 2032. Unless another 200 jets are procured.

Yup, so even if you push them that far, and assuming little attrition losses, you'll need to replace 200+ of these as well by then, and they would be on their last legs.

MMRCA is going to replace Migs, FGFA we don't know when they will be available, so numbers would be same or less by 2032. Unless another 200 jets are procured.

LCA MK2 will be a major gap filler in 2020s, also AMCA will replace all three types Migs/Mirage and Jaguar in 2030s

Depending on whether jaguar goes engine up gradation or not..

When fleet levels go down without replacements, we ll left with no option than to keep jaguars

LCA MK2 will be a major gap filler in 2020s, also AMCA will replace all three types Migs/Mirage and Jaguar in 2030s

AMCA not on the scene, so we don't know how that will fare along the timeline.
LCA is still getting it's OCs.

India was planning to field 50+ squadrons by 2032, no? So how are you going add that many numbers, above the current 700 jets or so?

AMCA not on the scene, so we don't know how that will fare along the timeline.
LCA is still getting it's OCs.

India was planning to field 50+ squadrons by 2032, no? So how are you going add that many numbers, above the current 700 jets or so?

LCA MK1 is currently in serial production and FOCs will be achieved by mid 2015, rest for MK2 I think India is capable to observe all the TOT that is incoming for Rafale, FGFA and MKIs and with the help of french in engine and Isralis in Radar and missile seekers LCA MK2 should not be excluded from any calculations. It will surely become reality and from past decade of LCA tests with zero incidents we can see how reliable this aircraft is which is sure to make its point to the heads of defense ministries and IAF also.

Rest AMCA is the natural progression after LCA MK2 and as one product is developed a long cycle of up-gradations and incoming TOT from west and russia surely result in next generation of Indian fighter series.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom