What's new

Hunting a Sniper!

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Hunting a sniper!

It must be the after effect of watching American sniper that i decided to search more on snipers.
For most of us the word "sniper" evokes some unsettling imagery of a lone gunman, undetectable and on the hunt. These highly skilled marksmen 're often perceived as lone assassins racking up "confirmed kills", they 're definitely intelligent and become your worst nightmares when your enemy has one, because a sniper is a force multiplier, he kills your men without directly engaging with them.

What would would you do when your men 're constantly being hit by sniper shots?
Counter sniper tactics is the solution!
To begin with, its not easy to spot a sniper because snipers use camouflage, choose their firing positions carefully and often attack from long distances, and ergo they 're difficult to locate. Some countermeasures are not routine and require additional training emphasis. Successful counter-sniper measures present leaders with a challenge to maintain unit discipline. Units must not implement countermeasures halfheartedly,to do so invites casualties from snipers who can wait hours till the moment a unit's guard is down.
Lets look at the different options we 've:
  • Passive counter measures:
1) They say prevention is better than cure. A sniper always hunts for high value targets who can be identified in a group by their body language, Insignia, by the number of salutes a person get from others etc. To reduce the risk insignia is usually subdued.
2) Moving in shadows and remaining dispersed 're also techniques adopted by various military.
3) Based on his previous attack, gleaning knowledge about the sniper is important. Things like what is the type of rifle he uses, his time of operation (some take position during the day and shoot at dusk), does he move with local fighters etc?
You can rely on your HUMINT and SIGNIT to gather more info. A not so alert family member, slips on radio by a commander (of local fighters) etc can give a clue.

• Active counter measure
1) Snipers on your side can be used for countering a sniper from the other side. Observation points 're established so that observers(your sniper) can maintain a constant surveillance over potential sniper positions and detect snipers as they attempt to move into position for a shot.
2)Aerial surveillance can also be used to spot a sniper, UAV's with their extended loiter time and video/night vision capability, can be used effectively.
3) Constant patrolling around the unit's position also helps. Sniper's usually prefer a range of 300-600m for their best shots, anythinh less than 300m would put the sniper at the disadvantage of being tracked easily by the firing signature.

• After being shot
1) Immediately after a sniper shot you can use gunfire shot systems to detect the location of fire. At times these can help you identify the the direction of gunfire and/or the type of weapon used. This system uses 3 things the muzzle blast, optical flash and shock wave to locate a sniper. This is used mostly by military.
If the sniper uses a fire suppressor to slow the bullet to subsonic speed, the acoustic signature of the bullet in flight is hard to detect.
2) A projected smoke can be used as a good response to protect a unit from further casualties if engaged by an enemy sniper. It greatly limits his ability to acquire targets.

Trivia:

• Rob Furlong holds the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in history at 1.51 miles which is 2430m That’s the length of about 26 football pitches. :)
  • Most of the sniper rifle which feature in top 10 sniper rifles 're mostly of American and Birtish origin like M24 and L115A3 AWM
no-1-l115a3-awm-british.jpg

• Chris Kyle is supposed to have used .300 Win Mag for most of his "kills".

Now try this :)
Spot the sniper!

19gevs55k59pjjpg.jpg

19gevrx9lja7ejpg.jpg

19gevrx9hp47qjpg.jpg

19gevs55ou84yjpg.jpg

19gevs17lif2fjpg.jpg

19gevrx9elolajpg.jpg

Last edited:
Watch this video, I rate this video better than American sniper. There is one more sniper at 48 mins in Iraq who did well !

Shooter movie is one of my favourites !

Snipers are lonely assassins !

Watch this video, I rate this video better than American sniper. There is one more sniper at 48 mins in Iraq who did well !

Shooter movie is one of my favourites !

Snipers are lonely assassins !
Try spotting the snipers... :)
That camouflage.I can't find any.
Look very carefully, the only hint i can give is look at unusually long objects and protrusions. :)

I read an article written by an ex-Sniper of US Marines. He wrote that sniping in real life is different from what is shown in movies and video games. A sniper consists of two man team, the shooter and spotter. A sniper must stay put in his position for hours or even days, don't ask me what they do to answer nature's call; you won't like what you read. A sniper's target rarely comes into his cross-hairs; more often than not a sniper has to take into account wind-speed, height of his gun vis-a-vis target, distance of the target from his gun, ground obstacles and the caliber of the weapon he is using. If it is a very long-range shot then even the earth's rotation has to be taken into account. It is complex trigonometry. A one shot-one kill is desired but rarely achieved. That's why a sniper must chose his shots carefully and also the pace where he should remain camouflaged. An exposed sniper is a dead sniper.

I read an article written by an ex-Sniper of US Marines. He wrote that sniping in real life is different from what is shown in movies and video games. A sniper consists of two man team, the shooter and spotter. A sniper must stay put in his position for hours or even days, don't ask me what they do to answer nature's call; you won't like what you read. A sniper's target rarely comes into his cross-hairs; more often than not a sniper has to take into account wind-speed, height of his gun vis-a-vis target, distance of the target from his gun, ground obstacles and the caliber of the weapon he is using. If it is a very long-range shot then even the earth's rotation has to be taken into account. It is complex trigonometry. A one shot-one kill is desired but rarely achieved. That's why a sniper must chose his shots carefully and also the pace where he should remain camouflaged. An exposed sniper is a dead sniper.
I find the observer's job very interesting, he tracks the signature of bullet to see if it has hit the spot and also alerts and tells sniper of an alternate target incase the first bullet did not hit the target. But a sniper's motto is "one bullet one target". And usually sniper is the team leader. I hope @jhungary could add to this.

Look very carefully, the only hint i can give is look at unusually long objects and protrusions. :)
can't find a single :pop: .. required thermal imaging or infrared...

can't find a single :pop: .. required thermal imaging or infrared...
Let me help you with one example...
1.jpg

you see the protrusion under the tree with flowers, thats where the sniper is hiding. Now try the rest... :)
But I have to agree that snipers 're jsut too good with camouflaging.

I find the observer's job very interesting, he tracks the signature of bullet to see if it has hit the spot and also alerts and tells sniper of an alternate target incase the first bullet did not hit the target. But a sniper's motto is "one bullet one target". And usually sniper is the team leader. I hope @jhungary could add to this.

That one bullet one target is not always correct for real life snipers although modern equipment has made the job of snipers easier.
The first shot is called "cold shot" because that there is a probability of a miss. If missed then the shooter adjusts his aim accordingly but snipers in hostage rescue teams do not have any room for a miss.

That one bullet one target is not always correct for real life snipers although modern equipment has made the job of snipers easier.
The first shot is called "cold shot" because that there is a probability of a miss. If missed then the shooter adjusts his aim accordingly but snipers in hostage rescue teams do not have any room for a miss.
I think this is a sniper's best bet
Bullet that can change direction midair!!

Let me help you with one example...
View attachment 209077

you see the protrusion under the tree with flowers, thats where the sniper is hiding. Now try the rest... :)
But I have to agree that snipers 're jsut too good with camouflaging.
yeah that we can assume but not for sure. as that 'grave' like thing can be an ant colony .. may be that thing should be fired upon and see if its moving..... :guns:

Are you sure there is someone in these pics? CAN and WILL you identify it? only then we can judge how difficult it is to find them. :)

I hope you are not sharing pictures from internet (wallpaper pics) and have asked us to identify a non existing sniper in these :D

yeah that we can assume but not for sure. as that 'grave' like thing can be an ant colony .. may be that thing should be fired upon and see if its moving..... :guns:
I think the first pic is very difficult rest 're easy...

Enemy at the Gates- Good Movie. Especially the beginning part.

Back
Top Bottom