What's new

HIT reveals new information on Al Khalid-I MBT

Gryphon

Reaction score
Daksg Nakra, Kuala Lumpur - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
22 April 2014

Officials from Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) disclosed new information about the greatly anticipated Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) during the recent DSA 2014 exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur.

Brigadier Ghulam Murtaza Qureshi (rtd), HIT's director of budget, marketing and procurement, told IHS Jane's that the development is being fast-tracked and the company plans to showcase the tank during the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2014 (IDEAS 2014) in Islamabad in December.

The development of the new MBT began earlier in the decade and Qureshi said it is around 50% complete. Some reports suggested it was being co-developed with China's NORINCO and was a version of China's MBT-3000.

(110 of 435 words)

HIT reveals new information on Al Khalid-I MBT - IHS Jane's 360

Mai nai kha tha na :chilli:

Can't wait for IDEAS 2014 :dance3:

But "upgraded Al-Khalid tank" was unveiled at IDEAS 2012 according to the below article:

Pakistan unveils upgraded Al-Khalid tank, APC

Gordon Arthur, Karachi, Pakistan - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
13 November 2012

An improved Al-Khalid main battle tank (MBT) and an upgraded armoured personnel carrier (APC) were among the armoured vehicles displayed by Pakistan's state-owned Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) at the seventh International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS) in Karachi.

The Al-Khalid, a product of Chinese and Pakistani co-operation, is currently being marketed overseas by China as the MBT-2000 without Pakistani permission, an HIT spokesman told IHS Jane's . On 8 November HIT moved to close this loophole by signing a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on Al-Khalid exports with Chinese firm Norinco.

The MoU arranges for joint marketing and profit sharing between the two partners, as well as ongoing technology transfer.

bae6fdf416649e34fde2527e112877c3d01d97ce.jpg

An Al-Khalid main battle tank, the premium product of Heavy Industries Taxila, on display at IDEAS 2012. (Gordon Arthur)

(109 of 448 words)

Pakistan unveils upgraded Al-Khalid tank, APC - IHS Jane's 360

In December 2012,

Pakistan, China sign contract for manufacturing Al-Khalid-I tank

PTI | December 31, 2012

ISLAMABAD: State-run companies of Pakistan and China today signed a contract for manufacturing the Al-Khalid-I tank, the latest version of the combat vehicle jointly developed by the two countries.

The Al-Khalid tank was developed in the 1990s and introduced in 2001.

The new version has improved capability and systems, an official statement said.

The contract for making the new tanks was signed by Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila and China's NORINCO at the Ministry of Defence Production.

The joint marketing of the Al-Khalid tank with China would open up potential markets, the statement said.

Pakistan, China sign contract for manufacturing Al-Khalid-I tank - Economic Times

State-owned Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) makes Al-Zarrar and Al-Khalid MBTs in Pakistan. The 46-ton Al-Khalid entered service in 2001 and more than 300 are in Pakistan Army service. HIT manufactures around 20 Al-Khalids annually and the army is expected to eventually induct some 600 examples. A Ministry of Defence Procurement official told Defence Review Asia that an improved Al-Khalid I version is nearing induction, with key modifications including a more powerful diesel engine, better ammunition storage, enhanced fire control system (FCS), faster autoloader, Varta electro-optical jammer, improved command and control, and a Sagem thermal imager.

An Al-Khalid II is in early developmental stages as well, with redesigned turret, modular armour and 1,500hp power pack. Approximately 50 Chinese engineers are now in Pakistan working with HIT on various projects. The Al-Khalid is a license-built version of the Chinese MBT-2000, but HIT has been annoyed that China is marketing it without Pakistani permission. Thus, HIT signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Norinco at IDEAS 2012 in Karachi on 8 November regarding Al-Khalid exports. This MoU arranges for joint marketing, profit sharing and ongoing technology transfer. A HIT spokesman said potential Al-Khalid export markets are Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and the Middle East. However, the company acknowledged sales in a competitive international arena are a very difficult prospect. HIT will not even try to market the less-capable Al-Zarrar as its technology is too outdated.

Excerpt from:

MAIN BATTLE TANKS IN ASIA | Asian Defence News Articles | Defence Review Asia

by: Gordon Arthur / Hong Kong (28 January 2013)

How many AKs are in service ??:unsure::unsure::unsure:

300+ as of January 2013

MAIN BATTLE TANKS IN ASIA | Asian Defence News Articles | Defence Review Asia

Last edited:
Al Khalid-I is already there. We know alot of information about it already. What is HIT talking about?

o_O

Al Khalid-I is already there. We know alot of information about it already. What is HIT talking about?

o_O
Most probably they didn't name the improved version Al-Khalid I its still AL-Khalid the one they are improving and 50 % work is complete that is AL-Khalid I and I wouldn't be surprised if turns out to be MBT-3000 @Aeronaut @Rashid Mahmood @Pakistanisage and others

o_O
The basic AKs were just upgraded I guess. This one will have major changes.

The basic AKs were just upgraded I guess. This one will have major changes.

Dude, the 'major' changes ones are Al Khalid-II (and they aren't being developed as of now)...Al Khalid-I were developed years ago and now they are already in service.

I don't know whats going on.

d339933f1438caf8.jpg

Dude, the 'major' changes ones are Al Khalid-II (and they aren't being developed as of now)...Al Khalid-I were developed years ago and now they are already in service.

I don't know whats going on.
No Sir I think HIT never started calling Al-Khalid Al Khalid I despite making improvements they still kept it calling Al-Khalid the Al-Khalid I would be a new Tank

Looks impressive. what are dimensions of Frontal & turret Armor?
Frontal armor looks depleted.

So finally some thing coming up lets wait and watch guys

So who's going to IDEAS 2014 ??? :azn:

@WebMaster @Aeronaut

Sending someone from your staff a would be a good idea :D

If you guys can't manage passes than maybe i can do the job :P

Back
Top Bottom