What's new

Hinkley Point C to go ahead after EDF board approves project

Vergennes

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
France
Britain set for its first new nuclear power station in a generation after French energy group’s directors give green light

3200.jpg

A computer-generated image of the Hinkley Point C nuclear power plant. Photograph: EDF Energy/PA

Britain is set to get its first new nuclear power station for a generation after EDF’s directors voted in favour of building Hinkley Point C.

After a decade of debate about the controversial £18bn project, the EDF board approved the project by 10 votes to seven, according to reports in Paris.

The UK government, which has backed the project heavily, will welcome EDF’s commitment as a vote of confidence in the economy after the country voted to leave the EU in June.

The construction of Hinkley Point C will create an estimated 25,000 jobs, with completion scheduled for 2025. It will provide 7% of Britain’s electricity, enough power for six million homes, for almost 60 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-to-go-ahead-after-edf-board-approves-project

Ministers have rejected it my friend. The decision will now happen in Autumn.

Ministers have rejected it my friend. The decision will now happen in Autumn.

May already told Hollande she would delay it,but nobody told it to EDF...

The most likely reasons cited are ;

-The cost.
-The chinese issue.
-Use Hinkley Point to pressure Hollande about the brexit. Hoping France would be more open to the british proposals about the economical future between UK and the Union.

-
Seems like the UK will not pull the trigger this year,this means that UK would have to deal with another french government. @Steve781 @Blue Marlin @Providence

May already told Hollande she would delay it,but nobody told it to EDF...

The most likely reasons cited are ;

-The cost.
-The chinese issue.
-Use Hinkley Point to pressure Hollande about the brexit. Hoping France would be more open to the british proposals about the economical future between UK and the Union.

-
Seems like the UK will not pull the trigger this year,this means that UK would have to deal with another french government. @Steve781 @Blue Marlin @Providence

I just saw a brief from some political experts on Sky News, the Chinese issue seems to be the factor here i.e. security/energy in the hands of a foreign power.
May is a very old guard conservative, and they view many things with suspicion.
I also doubt that we will wait till April/May, for the French presidential election. There will be too much home pressure.

its gonna cost me an extra tenner on my bill a year
the chinese want to invest to gain a igher status in th market.
and last time i checked we will see the source code for the chinese kit so they should not be any problems.

I just saw a brief from some political experts on Sky News, the Chinese issue seems to be the factor here i.e. security/energy in the hands of a foreign power.
May is a very old guard conservative, and they view many things with suspicion.
I also doubt that we will wait till April/May, for the French presidential election. There will be too much home pressure.
We should nationalise the nuclear power industry. We can pay for it using the money we currently spend on wind farm and solar subsidies.

Isn't the same bloody reactor causing delays and budget over spills elsewhere?

We should nationalise the nuclear power industry. We can pay for it using the money we currently spend on wind farm and solar subsidies.

I'm all for that, but I think it should be a percentage and the government should hold just about a controlling stake, or something just beneath i.e.40-50%.
What's your view on long-term power generation?

For 2016, the first quarter;
Gas = 37.8%
Renewables =25.1%
Nuclear = 18.7%
Coal = 15.8%
Oil and other = 2.6%

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/532901/Section_5.pdf

I do believe that renewables have bought great dividends, and we still haven't tapped into the colossal tidal power that Scotland will generate.

http://www.tidalenergy.eu/scottish-tidal-energy.html

There should be an increase of renewables (around 30%) to cut the percentage down of gas and oil, which weans us off foreign reliance, I obviously don't include Norway as they are dear friend. At the same time maybe raise the nuclear percentage to around 25%.
I was watching Sky News yesterday and they had two professors from Imperial College's energy department on and one argued against nuclear power, and one for it....

I'm all for that, but I think it should be a percentage and the government should hold just about a controlling stake, or something just beneath i.e.40-50%.

Gas = 37.8%
Renewables =25.1%
Nuclear = 18.7%
Coal = 15.8%
Oil and other = 2.6%

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/532901/Section_5.pdf

I do believe that renewables have bought great dividends, and we still haven't tapped into the colossal tidal power that Scotland will generate.

There should be an increase of renewables (around 30%) to cut the percentage down of gas and oil, which weans us off foreign reliance, I obviously don't include Norway as they are dear friend. At the same time maybe raise the nuclear percentage to around 25%.
I was watching Sky News yesterday and they had two professors from Imperial College's energy department on and one argued against nuclear power, and one for it....

World’s Largest Tidal Park Planned Off Scotland’s Western Coast

ScottishPower Renewables, a unit of Iberdrola Renovables SA, says it will build the world’s largest tidal energy plant off Scotland’s west coast.

The company won approval to build a 10-megawatt demonstration project that will cost 40 million pounds ($65 million) and will generate enough power for 5,000 homes, Glasgow-based ScottishPower Renewables said today in a statement.

The project will be the first tidal energy plant in Scotland and would triple the 3.4-megawatt capacity of all marine-energy projects currently deployed in the U.K., Johanna Yates, offshore policy manager at the Scottish Renewables lobbying group, said today by e-mail.

“This represents a major milestone for the marine energy sector in Scotland, with the largest project consent granted to date,” she said.

ScottishPower will install 10 tidal turbines, each with capacity of 1 megawatt, in the Sound of Islay, a channel between the islands of Jura and Islay known for its strong tidal flows, according to the statement.

Hammerfest Strom AS, a Norwegian company partially owned by Iberdrola, will provide its HS1000 tidal turbines for the project. ScottishPower expects to begin work on the plant next year and to install the turbines from 2013 to 2015.

A 300-kilowatt prototype of Hammerfest Strom’s HS1000 model has been generating electricity in Norwegian waters for more than six years. The company will test the systems in waters off Orkney, Scotland, this year.

“With around a quarter of Europe’s potential tidal energy resource and a tenth of the wave capacity, Scotland’s seas have unrivaled potential to generate green energy,” John Swinney, Scotland’s cabinet secretary for finance and sustainable growth, said today. The nation is seeking to create a marine power industry as part of its efforts to derive 80 percent of its energy from renewable sources by 2020.

About 4 million pounds of contracts to produce the turbines will go to Scottish businesses, including a 2 million-pound contract for Burntisland Fabrications Ltd., the government said.

Tidal power is among the most expensive renewable technologies, at $317 a megawatt-hour, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

@waz @Blue Marlin @Steve781 what happened to it ? Didn't hear much about it after the news

World’s Largest Tidal Park Planned Off Scotland’s Western Coast

ScottishPower Renewables, a unit of Iberdrola Renovables SA, says it will build the world’s largest tidal energy plant off Scotland’s west coast.

The company won approval to build a 10-megawatt demonstration project that will cost 40 million pounds ($65 million) and will generate enough power for 5,000 homes, Glasgow-based ScottishPower Renewables said today in a statement.

The project will be the first tidal energy plant in Scotland and would triple the 3.4-megawatt capacity of all marine-energy projects currently deployed in the U.K., Johanna Yates, offshore policy manager at the Scottish Renewables lobbying group, said today by e-mail.

“This represents a major milestone for the marine energy sector in Scotland, with the largest project consent granted to date,” she said.

ScottishPower will install 10 tidal turbines, each with capacity of 1 megawatt, in the Sound of Islay, a channel between the islands of Jura and Islay known for its strong tidal flows, according to the statement.

Hammerfest Strom AS, a Norwegian company partially owned by Iberdrola, will provide its HS1000 tidal turbines for the project. ScottishPower expects to begin work on the plant next year and to install the turbines from 2013 to 2015.

A 300-kilowatt prototype of Hammerfest Strom’s HS1000 model has been generating electricity in Norwegian waters for more than six years. The company will test the systems in waters off Orkney, Scotland, this year.

“With around a quarter of Europe’s potential tidal energy resource and a tenth of the wave capacity, Scotland’s seas have unrivaled potential to generate green energy,” John Swinney, Scotland’s cabinet secretary for finance and sustainable growth, said today. The nation is seeking to create a marine power industry as part of its efforts to derive 80 percent of its energy from renewable sources by 2020.

About 4 million pounds of contracts to produce the turbines will go to Scottish businesses, including a 2 million-pound contract for Burntisland Fabrications Ltd., the government said.

Tidal power is among the most expensive renewable technologies, at $317 a megawatt-hour, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

@waz @Blue Marlin @Steve781 what happened to it ? Didn't hear much about it after the news

Still in trial phase bro.

http://www.scottishpowerrenewables.com/pages/tidal_energy.asp

Gas = 37.8%
Renewables =25.1%
Nuclear = 18.7%
Coal = 15.8%
Oil and other = 2.6%

I don't think renewables are an effective means of generating energy, although I prefer them to Russian and Qatari gas. What we need. in addition to nuclear power, is to start fracking and also look at reopening the coal mines once we're out of the EU.

Back
Top Bottom