What's new

Hindustan is not India

I think there was no religion called Hindu before Arab referred to them as Hindus, and hence the region called Hindustan, i wonder if anyone knows what Alexander referred this part of the world when he set out to conquer this world.

I think there was no religion called Hindu before Arab referred to them as Hindus, and hence the region called Hindustan, i wonder if anyone knows what Alexander referred this part of the world when he set out to conquer this world.

Indi-keys - Essentially the region around the Indus River. The Greek were not aware of Ganga India. Only when they arrived in the Indus region did they realize about Ganga further over the horizon.

*Ινδική >Indi-keys.

1 (a) Ινδική > The Indus region that is modern Pakistan.
(b) Hendosh > The Achaemenid Persian satrapy covering modern Sindh in Pakistan.
2. Ινδική > The Indus region and Ganges basin.
3. Limyrike > Deccan region or modern South India.

Last edited:
Dear, word of "Hindustan" is driven from "Hind" which is driven from "Sindh", Hindustan means Land of Sindhi's or people living near river Indus or Sindh river.
if you are thinking that how Sindh changed into Hindh, i will give you one example of Hafta ( meaning 7th day of week) which is sourced from Youm Sabt ( meaning 7th day of week), here Sabt changed to Haft.
The word of Hind become famous for this sub continent because Indus valley(3300 BC) was the only civilization of the past in this region and even before Indus valley the Mehar Garh (7000 BC) is the precursor of Indus valley which is located in Balochistan's Bolan area ( west of Indus River ).
Simply all peoples living in Indian sub continent can call them self as Hindustani, but actually Sindhi's or people living along with Sindh river (Pakistanis)are pure Hindustani:o:....:pakistan:.

Dear, word of "Hindustan" is driven from "Hind" which is driven from "Sindh", Hindustan means Land of Sindhi's or people living near river Indus or Sindh river.
if you are thinking that how Sindh changed into Hindh, i will give you one example of Hafta ( meaning 7th day of week) which is sourced from Youm Sabt ( meaning 7th day of week), here Sabt changed to Haft.
The word of Hind become famous for this sub continent because Indus valley(3300 BC) was the only civilization of the past in this region and even before Indus valley the Mehar Garh (7000 BC) is the precursor of Indus valley which is located in Balochistan's Bolan area ( west of Indus River ).
Simply all peoples living in Indian sub continent can call them self as Hindustani, but actually Sindhi's or people living along with Sindh river (Pakistanis)are pure Hindustani:o:....:pakistan:.

The word Hafta came from the Sanskrit word Sapta meaning Seven. Same is the case with the month September which is the seventh month of the year.

Also lookup Sapta Sindhavah the seven river mentioned in Rig Veda. The word Sindh itself originated from this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigvedic_rivers

I feel Pakistans fate was sealed on the day they made urdu thr national language.a great blunder n one of the major reasons for not being able to cultivate a strong national identity till now.
well we got to thank bhayyajees for tht :D
Nice try dingbat. We have a national identity.

Urdu is the unifying language of Pakistan.

Nice try dingbat. We have a national identity.

Urdu is the unifying language of Pakistan.
yeah yeah,,a language which has more native speakers in India thn in Pakistan is ur unifying language.
Like i said,,we have got u bhayyajees to thank,,u did what ancient bhayyas cud never do,,i.e. made non bhayya pakistanis(pashtuns etc.) learn n speak a Indian language,,thank u for paving way for cultural domination.

yeah yeah,,a language which has more native speakers in India thn in Pakistan is ur unifying language.
Like i said,,we have got u bhayyajees to thank,,u did what ancient bhayyas cud never do,,i.e. made non bhayya pakistanis(pashtuns etc.) learn n speak a Indian language,,thank u for paving way for cultural domination.
Urdu does not have more native speakers in India than Pakistan. It is Pakistan which has more native speakers of Urdu than India.

Most Indians speak Hindi which is almost a completely different language.

The word Hafta came from the Sanskrit word Sapta meaning Seven. Same is the case with the month September which is the seventh month of the year.

Also lookup Sapta Sindhavah the seven river mentioned in Rig Veda. The word Sindh itself originated from this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigvedic_rivers
What i said is same Haft from Sabt which means 7, and what you are mentioning is 7 rivers are all included in Sindh river means river of 7 branches which are the 7 parts of this same river, hence Hindustan mean land of Sindhi people or people living along with Sindh river(Pakistan).

There's been a lot of misconceptions in Pakistan as well as India that Hindustan is India and that "Hindu" is a religion.

In reality Hindu is a geographic term and it's usage to refer to a religion did not occur until some two centuries ago by the Europeans.

For example Hindu Kush or Hindko language are not associated with India or "Hinduism", so why do we associate Hindu or Hindustan with them?

Problem is people misuse and misapply terminologies so the confusion comes up. In reality the words "Hindu" "Indus" and "India" have their roots in ancient Sanskrit "Sindhu" or "Sapta Sindhu". These words evolved into Indus and Hindu by the Greeks and Persians. Even the name Sindh and Sindhi comes from there.

The name "India" eventually spread to Europe and referred to the Indus and possibly Ganges plains. The Muslim invaders continued using Hindu or Hindustan to refer to these geographic territories.

Even the older name of Urdu (and Hindi) is actually Hindustani. For one to say they speak Hindustani means they speak Hindi or Urdu because these are both different dialects of Hindustani.

When the British arrived they started calling all the indigenous spiritualities of the subcontinent "Hinduism". Even using the name "India" by the modern country is technically incorrect, since India originally meant land of the Indus, or today known as Eastern Pakistan.

So to break it down. Hindustan is Eastern Pakistan + Northern India + Bay of Bengal and arguably parts of Nepal and China. A Hindu or Hindustani is a native of these region, not some religious group.

Hindustani is the language that developed in this territory, a derivative of Sanskrit and the languages of the invaders that influenced this language.

So using the term Hindustan to refer to India is wrong and calling the local religions of the subcontinent is also wrong.

Asalamu Alaikum

Well, Hindustan makes more sense than India, since most people now recognise Hindu as a religious and not a geographical term, and India is derived from the Indus River which flows through Pakistan.

I'd personally go with Gangadesh or something but that sounds like a slur.

Yes every person living in Indian subcontinent is Hindu and the place is called Hindustan :D. Though some people who claim, are free to claim any outside ancestory who cares :-).

Odds are your ancestors are probably foreign, this is the case with almost everyone who isn't from Southern Hindustan/Sri Lanka.

It was indeed a very major blunder.We should have opted for either Pashto or balochi as National Language

Asalamu Alaikum

Or Saraiki

:D

the other group is wannabe foreigners..

You do realise your language is a bastardised version of ours, and is as a result still foreign in origin, right? Remember, the Delhi Sultanate invented it, and they were evil foreign Muslims.

Asalamu Alaikum

Well, Hindustan makes more sense than India, since most people now recognise Hindu as a religious and not a geographical term, and India is derived from the Indus River which flows through Pakistan.

I'd personally go with Gangadesh or something but that sounds like a slur.

Odds are your ancestors are probably foreign, this is the case with almost everyone who isn't from Southern Hindustan/Sri Lanka.

Asalamu Alaikum

Or Saraiki

:D

You do realise your language is a bastardised version of ours, and is as a result still foreign in origin, right? Remember, the Delhi Sultanate invented it, and they were evil foreign Muslims.
If Aryan migration theory is true. Probably every other people are alien to the land.

It's more like Urdu branched away, while Hindi followed the same grammer, script, and many words from Sanskrit - Prakrit.

If Aryan migration theory is true. Probably every other people are alien to the land.

It's more like Urdu branched away, while Hindi followed the same grammer, script, and many words from Sanskrit - Prakrit.

Even if Aryan Migration is false, the average North Hindustani/Pakistani will be predominantly foreign in terms of genetics and (especially) culture.

Remember, it wasn't just the Aryans. The Huns, Greeks, Persians, Scythians, Turks, Arabs, Kushans, and many more all migrated here (some in larger numbers than others).

No, it's more like Hindi branched away. The original language (Hindustani) was created by the Delhi Sultanate, and was written in the same script Urdu is and had a pretty similar vocabulary. The Mughals developed it further into what is basically modern Urdu. Hindi is the same language, but written in Sanskrit and with some (but not all or even most) of the foreign words purged. Urdu is the original, Hindi is the copy.

The language of Mughals is indeed unifying. Unlike Hindi which was created out of thin air in 1890.

Would help if you knew actual historical or linguistic facts before harping on about imaginary "indian" languages.

The language of Mughals is indeed unifying. Unlike Hindi which was created out of thin air in 1890.

Would help if you knew actual historical or linguistic facts before harping on about imaginary "indian" languages.
oh,,right,if only i knew "actual historical or linguistic facts",if only,sigh,thnks for pointing tht out.
u on the other hand r absolutely right,, urdu is the language of mughals(mongoloid turks),absolutely,,,,mughals didnt spoke chagtai turk among thmselves,,n persian wasn't thr court language.
as i said earlier,got nothng to complain abt:enjoy:

Yes, Bharat is Hindustan is India. Have you ever thought why 1/5th area of Pakistan which broke away in 1971 is called Bangladesh while Pakistan remained Pakistan? Its because they choose to separate. Same is the case with Pakistan. In 1947, there was a notion that Muslims are not Hindustanis and are outsiders, so they did not claimed to be Indians. But after many yeaes of branding India, and its hitory, today many Pakistanis connect themselves with Indian history, yet claiming distinction between Indians and Pakistani keeping 2 nation theory in mind, failing to forge wrong history yet again. You can't have the cake and the cherry at the same time.

Brand sells, it attracts. I personaly don't endorse Akhand Bharat ideology, but if it manages to come into existence in future, it won't be because of wars but cultural exchanges and branding. Unknowingly Pakistanis are endorsing that ideology by allowing cultural invasion, and not only that they are catalysing by resiprocating with telecasting thier own shows in India :D. I would say make Persian or Arabic your national language to avoid it :D.

So basically you are saying Indo-Aryan speakers are Hindustanis. Yea alright.
Muslims are not outsiders to Hind. The vast majority converted to Islam. It is unfortunate that many Muslims are ashamed of this fact. They know this themselves.
Pakistan did not separate from Hind. Two states came into being from British India and Hind is basically inside Pakistan. It is also unfortunate that Pakistanis have accepted the British usage of the term Hindustan and Hindu.
I do agree that Pakistan should have made Persian the national language.

Your over thinking this

Maybe historically your right but today Hindu = idol worshippers and Hindustan = India

Pakistan is the culmination of Muslim history in South Asia, we have our own distinct regions, languages and culture centered around Islam.

Your view point whilst valid and even historically accurate is no longer relevant especially considering the general animosity we have towards Hindus and things connected to them
Becoming Muslim does not mean one loses his other identities. It is unfortunate that Pakistanis have let this happen.

Back
Top Bottom