What's new

Height of Pakistanis has fallen 4 inches over 50 years, say experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if this "news" is true", Pakistanis are still taller on average compared to other south Asian countries.

Most Pakistani guys I've met are pretty tall.

Punjabis are tallest in all of South Asia (Average is like 6 feet for men)

Maybe it has to do with the diet, genetics, all that farming?? :rofl:

there are billion of them in the world, im yet to meet an indian taller than I am....and rest assured, i stand just under 6 feet so i'm not considered tall either. One of the guys in our MBA cohort "sachin" is the shortest one out of all 45 of us (including women)

on a more serious note, forget genetics......we should focus on human development and producing sharp brilliant minds. At the end of the day, that would matter more.

Stop exaggerating mate. See this is the problem with the Pakistanis here, you guys make arguments based on hearsay and you expect everyone to believe it. As If you have never come across Indians taller than 6 feet.

Show us a scientific study about the average height of Pakistanis. If we go by personal experience I have come across Pakistanis who are much shorter than me, about the same as me and some even taller than me( I am almost 6 1'), but can I make an assertion based on that?

Here is the study done on ethnic migrants in the UK, there is a difference of only 1.9 cm in the average height of Pakistanis and Indians( thats about half a inch).

qr0p6v.png

So no the average Pakistani is not the the 7 feet giant as you guys try to portray neither is the average Indian 5 feet midget. The difference in the heights of the two groups is very small and probably not even noticiable physically(half a inch).

Average height of tallest 5% Pakistanis is 6 feet ¼ inch(183.7cm), average height of tallest 5% Indians is 6 feet(182.5cm), and so on.

11ucadh.png

Stop exaggerating mate. See this is the problem with the Pakistanis here, you guys make arguments based on hearsay and you expect everyone to believe it. As If you have never come across Indians taller than 6 feet.

Show us a scientific study about the average height of Pakistanis. If we go by personal experience I have come across Pakistanis who are much shorter than me, about the same as me and some even taller than me( I am almost 6 1'), but can I make an assertion based on that?

Here is the study done on ethnic migrants in the UK, there is a difference of only 1.9 cm in the average height of Pakistanis and Indians( thats about half a inch).

qr0p6v.png

So no the average Pakistani is not the the 7 feet giant as you guys try to portray neither is the average Indian 5 feet midget. The difference in the heights of the two groups is very small and probably not even noticiable physically(half a inch).

Average height of tallest 5% Pakistanis is 6 feet ¼ inch(183.7cm), average height of tallest 5% Indians is 6 feet(182.5cm), and so on.

11ucadh.png

Still we Pakistanis are taller than indians.

And why are blacks there in the table and not white Europeans who are also taller than Asians.

What is your source? Post a link.

Still we Pakistanis are taller than indians.

And why are blacks there in the table and not white Europeans who are also taller than Asians.

What is your source? Post a link.

Yes but not by much and if the trend continues the Indians will soon catch up. Look at the mean height of 16-34 age group, Pakistani(173 cm), Indians (172.1 cm), thats a difference of 0.9 cm!

Point is that it hasn't got much to do with genes, its more about the diet and health. Lets face it, India was poorer than Pakistan ever since Independence up until early 90's. With the mini economic boom since the mid 90's Indians are prospering and eating better and getting bigger/taller.

About the white Europeans, I guess they are not that big of a group in UK probably. They had data for the Irish though, and they indeed are taller than the South Asians.

Here's the link,

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/webfiles/publications/healthsurvey2004ethnicfull/HealthSurveyforEnglandVol1_210406_PDF.pdf

Most of the migrants in the UK are from certain areas; Azad Kashmir in Pakistan and Punjab/Gujarat in india.

These are not good representations of Pakistanis or indians as a whole. Best to compare data from Pakistan and india itself ( if there is data available)

Haha fake news link that was copied from Wiki hahahahah

Most of the migrants in the UK are from certain areas; Azad Kashmir in Pakistan and Punjab/Gujarat in india.

These are not good representations of Pakistanis or indians as a whole. Best to compare data from Pakistan and india itself ( if there is data available)

Punjabis and Kashmiris are the tallest group in Pakistan anyways, so any other group will most probably drag the average height of Pakistanis down.

I haven't come across any current data from Pakistan. I did find an ancient one from the 60's.

zt6esm.png

http://www.ajcn.org/content/20/7/694.full.pdf

Ideally, the average height should have increased since then but if the article in the OP is to be believed the trend has reversed in Pakistan(I personally think its bs).

it's not even worth arguing or expending more energy on this thread. . .

much more important things to be worrying about......as i said - genetics and nutrition/diet play important roles.

both india and Pakistan are countries that do not have homogenous populations; there are mixed ethnicities; and then of course there's income/development inequality from village to village, province to province.

therefore you can't just lump up the whole population and then reach an over-generalized conclusion

well - you can, but you're just wasting your time......this thread is a waste of time as well.

peace

Height has more to do with genetics, so if we retain the genes, all one generation needs to recover the height of past generations is to eat more during growth period (childhood to youth hood/puberty).

But i find it funny indians are jumping up and down at the news.

Punjabis and Kashmiris are the tallest group in Pakistan anyways, so any other group will most probably drag the average height of Pakistanis down.

The Pashtuns and the Baloch are pretty tall too.

What about Pashtuns, Balochis? I've seen some pretty tall Pashtuns, my dad was 5"11.

I haven't come across any current data from Pakistan. I did find an ancient one from the 60's.

Ideally, the average height should have increased since then but if the article in the OP is to be believed the trend has reversed in Pakistan(I personally think its bs).

Dunno that thats a given - I'm half a Punjabi and half a Kashmiri and I'm a mere 5'8 ! Most in my family are around that figure or an inch or two less or more...apart from the occasional (1 out of 15) 6 footer, of course ! Most Punjabis around me, in Lahore, apart from the rather well-off are either my height or shorter ! Most Pukhtoons that I've met are around my height too....but amongst all ethncities you do have the occasional 5'11-6+...but thats mostly an exception ! By the way these are my observations about the average man on the street....those of us from some of the wealthier (or even relatively well-off) families are of course taller, on average, than the average man....but then again that too isn't true for all of us !

The Pashtuns and the Baloch are pretty tall too.

Baloch are too small a group to have any major impact on the average and Pashtuns(just my observation) they tend to be at extremes, some of them are giants and some of them are quite small.

Baloch are too small a group to have any major impact on the average and Pashtuns(just my observation) they tend to be at extremes, some of them are giants and some of them are quite small.

Well you can say the same thing about Punjabis in India ( they are only 2.5% of the population apparently)

Whereas the Baloch make up 3.5% of the population in Pakistan.

Personally I think the average Pashtun would be just as tall or taller than the average Punjabi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom