What's new

Have the 'Tail choppers' converted to JF-17

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
15181667_1122015474582930_6780462303726228561_n (1).jpg

Guys, firstly, i don't intend to jump the gun or draw conclusions on hear say.
However, last October, upon my query, an indeed very reliable source disclosed that No 14 Squadron famously known as The Tail Choppers will convert onto the JF-17s next month (November). Well, November came and went without any news on the re-equipment ceremony. Since we are well into December, i tried to find out on the follow up, unfortunately i haven't been able to get hold of the original source who for some reason is operating out of three different bases but another source not familiar with the operational side of things confirms that he did witness a ceremony in Kamra in the last week of November, or as he put it, ''some event did happen as all the Babeys, Aunties and Uncles descended on Minhas air base. Does any one has more news on this.
@HRK @Horus @Tipu7 @The Eagle @Muhammad Omar

View attachment 358635

However, last October, upon my query, an indeed very reliable source disclosed that No 14 Squadron famously known as The Tail Choppers will convert onto the JF-17s next month (November). Well, November came and went without any news on the re-equipment ceremony. Since we are well into December, i tried to find out on the follow up, unfortunately i haven't been able to get hold of the original source who for some reason is operating out of three different bases but another source not familiar with the operational side of things confirms that he did witness a ceremony in Kamra in the last week of November, or as he put it, ''some event did happen as all the Babeys, Aunties and Uncles descended on Minhas air base. Does any one has more news on this.

IMO, the recent ceremony/gathering (in the month of November) was related to High Mark - 2016 conclusion etc or the source could be right but still, PAF would have proudly shared the news or at-least such ceremony would have been made public.

IMO, the recent ceremony/gathering (in the month of November) was related to High Mark - 2016 conclusion etc or the source could be right but still, PAF would have proudly shared the news or at-least such ceremony would have been made public.
Well to be fair, the HM-2016 ceremony was held at Sargodha air base.
The source is based in Kamra and that's where the event took place.

Interestingly, earlier another source slipped up and disclosed that there are four or five JF-17 units operational. :D

View attachment 358635

Sir recent news was that PAC has handed over 70 Thunders to PAF. So if we do some maths then we might come up with something as Thunders with Evaluation and Testing Flight are not considered on the inventory of the PAF. My Math is lil weak so may be the experts can do the tally here :)

I think i have disclosed things like these related to different subject but as time passed I realized that there is reason the news is disclosed later, good that you got to know it before but never disclose it. I am also doing this by not publishing military news that is not yet published in other sites.

It takes circa 12-18 months for a unit to fully convert to a new platform. The 70 number does not necessarily mean number of units manufactured or with PAF, but rather ready for ops.

No 14 might not be fully operational on the Thunders.

Interestingly, earlier another source slipped up and disclosed that there are four or five JF-17 units operational. :D

Cannot deny the news as it was somehow reached outside that Tail Choppers would be inducting JF-17 as an alternate to F-7P so such single digit number makes sense w.r.t. conversion/training and induction. Might be made public once the squadron is fully equipped.

The 70 number does not necessarily mean number of units manufactured or with PAF, but rather ready for ops.

The be more precise the number 70 means that all these have been alloted to operational squadrons as PAF leaves no aircraft in its inventory without any sqn number right from day one. So this 70 number actually does point that few Thunders are also in service with an undisclosed squadron.Who knows it might be 14.

Thats good at least PAF strike capability upgrades with this move...

It takes circa 12-18 months for a unit to fully convert to a new platform. The 70 number does not necessarily mean number of units manufactured or with PAF, but rather ready for ops.

No 14 might not be fully operational on the Thunders.
Converting onto a new platform is one thing, being declared as fully operational comes later.
However, i understand one of the Peshawar based units acts as a JF-17 OCU to streamline pilots for new squadrons.

Its not just pilots. Its the ground techs, the logistics fellows, the maintenance groups. They all have to be brought up to speed.

Do we hold ceremony at time when first air craft is delivered to a squadron or we do so when all deliveries are done?
If its second case then possibly deliveries are underway and ceremony will be held once all F7 will be replaced by Jf17.

Also it's rumored that Pakistan intend to gift 10 F7P of tail choppers squadron to Sri Lanka along with deal of 10 Jf17 ......
So this factor should be kept in eye.

View attachment 358635

Like the News PAC told senate we hand over 70 JF-17 to PAF till date while we were thinking 75+

They don't release anything to public asap.. we will hear the news of it in Feb 2017 about Tail Choppers ..

Ironically even wiki shows the No 14 Squadron as a JF-17 unit.

Tail choppers 1948
1948—1949
1949—
1956—1971 F-86 Sabre
1972—1986 Shenyang F-6, FT-6
1986—1993 F-16
1993—2016 F-7P
2016 JF-17 Thunder

View attachment 358635

Give it another month. And yes in Kamra.

Back
Top Bottom