What's new

Haryana’s biggest khap panchayat allows inter-caste marriages

Yaduveer

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
CHANDIGARH: Scripting history by bringing about changes in the norms pertaining to marriages, Haryana's biggest khap panchayat called by Satrol khap in Hisar on Sunday gave a go-ahead to inter-caste marriages that have in the past triggered bloody killings in the state and surrounding regions.

The khaps, in the name of tradition, have been opposed to inter-caste marriages, inter-village marriages (that is, within a radius of 42 villages) as well as same-gotra marriages. With Sunday's meeting, a substantial swathe under Satrol khap will henceforth allow inter-caste marriages as well as weddings between families from villages within the radius of 42 villages — though marriages within the same village and immediate bordering villages remain banned. Same-gotra marriages too remain barred, and the weddings can take place only with parental consent.

The reform is significant and represents the first moderation in the hitherto unyielding opposition of khaps to inter-caste and inter-village marriages. These rules have led to persecution of couples, suicides, honor killings and caste conflicts in rural belts, and even forced bachelors to get brides from other states. The largest number of killings has occurred owing to inter-caste marriages, followed by same village (42 village radius) marriages, followed by same-gotra marriages.

Satrol panchayat covers 36 castes in 42 villages spread over 250 sq km area of Narnaund village of Hisar district and has 60 per cent population of jats, who would be able to marry into different castes subject to parental approval. Barring members of Petgaon tapa (a cluster of villages), all delegates unanimously approved the resolution redefining jurisdiction and permitting inter-caste marriages.

"This is the only way out to keep our old traditions alive. Instead of getting a bride from outside the state who takes time to adjust, we preferred to prune the jurisdiction of prohibited areas. This will bring revolutionary change in Haryana," said Satrol khap president Inder Singh Subedar.

Bibipur sarpanch and president of Nogama khap Sunil Jaglan, who was a special invitee, termed the step "revolutionary". "Now, khaps will be seen in positive sense. We really appreciate this; it will usher in more changes," said Jaglan, who also represents the voice of youth.

Neelam Jain, a research scholar in Delhi University who has worked in several Haryana villages, termed it a progressive decision and an initiative to weed out social wrongs created by misunderstandings and misconceptions.

Dr Om Parkash Dhankar, Sarv khap panchayat coordinator and Haryana Dhankar khap president welcomed the decision. "This will further strengthen our fight for amendment in Hindu Marriage Act to bar same-gotra and same-village marriages," he said.

Haryana’s biggest khap panchayat scripts history, allows inter-caste marriages - The Times of India

I think It's a trick to validate their son's marriage who has got bride from another region. :D

Because In Haryana inter caste marriage happened in past too.... Jat Ahir and Gujjars used to intermarry and shared their 'Hukka-Pani' among them.

I am from Hissar :D and i am happy that this things are going to stop completely in Haryana.

Change Take Time :)

WOw..... but still a shame that it existed till 2014 :hitwall:

LOL....... ya Christians in Kerala are so open minded about marrying Hindus :lol:

I think It's a trick to validate their son's marriage who has got bride from another region. :D

Because In Haryana inter caste marriage happened in past too.... Jat Ahir and Gujjars used to intermarry and shared their 'Hukka-Pani' among them.

Je bath. Should have guessed it. :lol:

LOL....... ya Christians in Kerala are so open minded about marrying Hindus :lol:

Pardon? AFAIK no one got killed for marrying outside ones cast. And there arent any stupid panchyat laws against it. And I know some people who actually did marry outside their religious group. It was not welcomed but their families eventually accepted it.

I am from Hissar :D and i am happy that this things are going to stop completely in Haryana.

Change Take Time :)

Making a virtue out of a necessity.:) Haryana has the worst male:female ratio in the country. Difficult to get a girl, any girl let alone one from one's own caste.. Next thing you know, the Khaps will be at the forefront of trying to get section 377 amended.:enjoy:. I mean if you can't find girls....................

Pardon? AFAIK no one got killed for marrying outside ones cast. And there arent any stupid panchyat laws against it. And I know some people who actually did marry outside their religious group. It was not welcomed but their families eventually accepted it.

LOL.....of course there are church laws and church groups who protest against it.

Mallu's don't have the guts to kill anyone over anything. Jats OTOH do it all the time :P ........ sometimes over trivial matters.

'Get us brides in return for our votes': Haryana bachelors to candidates

JIND: Some Lok Sabha candidates in Haryana, which has the country's lowest sex ratio, are facing a strange demand from bachelor voters -- "get us brides in return for our votes".

"Bahu dilao, vote pao" (Get us a bride for our vote) is the demand of Avivahit Purush Sangthan (Unmarried Union). The outfit was set up by Bibipoor village panchayat head Sunil Jaglan in February, to look into the issue of gender imbalance, caused by female foeticide.

pixel.gif

Members of Avivahit Purush Sangthan are putting forward their demand to candidates of different political parties who are coming to their constituencies for campaigning. But so far they have failed to get any positive response from the candidates.

"This (female foeticide) is a very serious problem which, if not tackled now or if proper action is not taken, will have disastrous consequences in the near future," Jaglan told PTI.

On the slogan, he said, "The slogan itself does not mean that all the youth are going to get their partners right now. But it's an effort to attract the attention of the political parties towards the problem."

But Jaglan said, "Except AAP, prominent candidates from Jind have come to our village seeking votes, but none of them uttered a single word on our demand. Political parties are not interested in serious issues."

According to the 2011 Census, Haryana has 879 females per 1,000 males.

Radha Rani, wife of INLD candidate from Rohtak Shamsher Kharkara, said, "Female foeticide is not an election issue. It's a social problem which can be addressed through social awareness."

Jaglan, who organised an 'anti-female foeticide Mahapanchayat' in Bibipoor a few years ago and is now a proud father of two girls, said, "There are 7,000 villages in the state and in every village on an average, at present, 50 boys are unmarried. It means, around 3,50,000 males are without life partners."

In 2009, the female foeticide issue was raised by a group of youths here who took out a march, but it failed to achieve the desired results.

According to Jaglan, "Since 2009, the problem has grown manifold."

In Bibipoor village, at the Chaupal, a huge poster welcomes people with a message: "Netaji janiye, Haryana main kunwaron ka ganit (Netaji have a look at the data of unmarried youth in the state)."

The poster gives a glimpse of the total population of the state, the male and female ratios and the number of unmarried youth.

In the Sonipat Lok Sabha seat, under which the assembly constituency of Jind comes, Jagbir Singh Malik of Congress, BJP's Ramesh Chander, Padam Singh from Indian National Lok Dal and Jai Singh from AAP are in the fray.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-04-09/news/49000137_1_foeticide-chaupal-sunil-jaglan

Making a virtue out of a necessity.:) Haryana has the worst male:female ratio in the country. Difficult to get a girl, any girl let alone one from one's own caste.. Next thing you know, the Khaps will be at the forefront of trying to get section 377 amended.:enjoy:. I mean if you can't find girls....................

charge this guy for blasphemy and execute in Public for making some sense.:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Backward villager assemblies responsible for this own dastardly situation.If u kill ur own daughters,why complain later?What will election candidates do?Bring back the dead to life?They are aware of the situation and still they do this crime,who can help them.

Making a virtue out of a necessity. Haryana has the worst male:female ratio in the country. Difficult to get a girl, any girl let alone one from one's own caste.. Next thing you know, the Khaps will be at the forefront of trying to get section 377 amended.. I mean if you can't find girls...................
Dude maybe this is important because of government and other things. But let me tell you one thing if Khap decide not to change in this no government can even forcelly change it in next 20 years. Khap decide this is one of the most excellent thing happen in HARYANA.

Back
Top Bottom