What's new

Halal comedy? You might as well ask for halal bacon

waraich66

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Halal comedy? You might as well ask for halal bacon

The organiser said not to talk about religion, sex or the president. But when you tell a comedian not to do something …

* Digg it
* Buzz up
* Share on facebook (48)
* Tweet this (15)
Comments (55)

* shazia
o Shazia Mirza
o guardian.co.uk, Monday 12 April 2010 20.00 BST
o Article history

In all the countries that I have travelled to to perform standup comedy – the United States being a regular destination – I have never been held up or interrogated at customs. Or I hadn't, until I arrived in Pakistan last week. I spent six hours at Lahore customs, as I did not have a visa in my British passport to enter the country. The people who organised my gig had mistakenly assumed that because my parents were born in Pakistan and I too am brown, they would automatically let me in.

The customs officer asked: "Are you Pakistani?" Yes. "Where were you born?" England. "That makes you a foreigner." I get called a foreigner in my parents' country of birth, and I get called a foreigner in my own country of birth.

He looked through my passport, which is filled with US visas. He said: "Are you a spy?" No, I'm a standup comedian. "What's that?" I tell jokes. "And will you be doing that in this country?" Yes. "Oh, is this the entertainment for the Taliban?" he asked, quite seriously. No, I replied.

He said: "What I should do is deport you, but if you give me $100, I'll see what I can do."

I paid it. I got in.

My first performance took place at the Lahore University of Management Sciences (Lums). The audience was made up mainly of lecturers and students, and as I arrived I was told: "Don't worry about performing – we've stepped up security because people knew you were coming."

The fact that there needed to be security at all to tell jokes indicated danger. Pakistan is a sexually repressed country, and that is the root of many of its problems.

The last time I performed in Lahore I was told: "You can talk about anything you like – religion, politics, drugs, you can swear and curse, just don't mention 'The Sex'."

Any sexual words or connotations were banned – because in Pakistan there is no mention of sex on television, radio, or in public.

In Lahore this time I am told by armed security personnel before going on stage: "Be careful, it's best you only do halal comedy." Halal comedy? There is no such thing. That's like saying, I only eat halal bacon.

I had some requests from members of the audience who came to my dressing room before the show to ask me specifically to do jokes about sex and religion. Which is what I had intended to do, anyway.

After the gig I had to have two armed bodyguards outside my bedroom while I slept. (That's no use: I need uniformed men in my bed, not outside it.)

I then went to perform two hours away in Karachi. The audience consisted of young people, old people, women in burqas and groups of men – all sitting on the floor together. The doors were locked as soon as all the audience were in, and once again armed security guards stood outside.

On arrival I was told by the organiser: "The Pakistani Taliban are infiltrating down to the outskirts of Karachi now, so be careful with what you say. It's best not to talk about religion, or sex, and don't mention the word "gay"." Why? "Because gay doesn't exist in Pakistan," she explained.

Pakistan believes it has freedom of speech, but the only freedom you have is to comply with the speech they want to hear. She continued: "There is a law against making any jokes about President Zardari. You cannot make any jokes about him in public and you are not allowed to text any jokes to your friends about him, otherwise you will be put in prison."

When you tell a comedian not to do something, well. I made a joke about President Zardari. The audience loved it. They laughed like they had never laughed before.

The people in authority in Pakistan are telling the public what they can and cannot say, how to behave and what to wear – and this is totally incongruous with what the people really want. All the things the audience laughed at are the things they are most repressed about. Jokes about sex, religion and politics got the most laughter.

After the show I was invited to a party. I walked in, to be offered a joint of marijuana, followed by a joint of opium, followed by vodka and then a discussion on ****.

I was asked: "What's your favourite **** film?" I have never watched ****. I tried to lie but I couldn't think of a **** movie, so I told the truth: I've never watched ****. This was met with "You've never watched ****? Let us show you some!"

A collection of 600 films was pulled out from behind the bookcase. I was then offered a male Russian hooker for the night.

There it is – the hypocrisy of a sexually repressed, censored society: I can't say "gay" on stage, but after the show, opium and prostitutes are on offer.

Back in 2010 , was their really a law against making any jokes about President Zardari ???

Who knew what sort of group naughty stuff went on behind the stage..

Its kina creepy to know there are so many Pakistans in one Pakistan...

The first part in the article was kind of unnecessary IMO. The writer is a foreigner if he has a British passport, what's the fuss?

Secondly, all that questioning is done by every immigration officer in every country. I even got asked my father's name and DOB (cross check for forged details on passport) a couple of occasions while going to Pakistan. Similarly, Pakistanis suffer many more trials while getting into USA, they get literally harassed, so no need to cry a river when you get questioned while entering Pakistan.

Last thing, Customs officers don't check passports, Immigration does (with the blue uniform):P!

Halal is very Dangerous economic concept borrowed from Judaism. Its just like "Be Muslim Buy Muslim"

Halal provide business to Muslim in Dar-ul-harb, while impose economic embargo in dar-ul-islam. Imagine what if American product is declared Haram by Muslims.

Halal is very Dangerous economic concept borrowed from Judaism. Its just like "Be Muslim Buy Muslim"

Halal provide business to Muslim in Dar-ul-harb, while impose economic embargo in dar-ul-islam. Imagine what if American product is declared Haram by Muslims.

In Islamic countries, everything is automatically halal (atleast for the most part)...Chicken, food, medicines etc...Its a given that they'll be halal...so not a big deal..In Western places, where Muslims are a minority, Halal provide great economic/business opportunity to the community..All in all, Halal is a wonderful way of generating money for Islamic Faith/Islamic Communities around the world--which help Islam to spread...and when Islam spreads..the halal comes in..and the cycle continues..Mashallah :)

I walked in, to be offered a joint of marijuana, followed by a joint of opium, followed by vodka and then a discussion on ****. I was then offered a male Russian hooker for the night.

Wtf? What are Russian male hookers doing in Pakistan? This part seems kinda shady..

and no wonder there are Talibans in Karachi..This small, idiot, highly-westernized, wanna be elite of Pakistan as as bad as Talibans. One is the face of religious extreme, other is the face of cultural extreme..and that too, and outside culture...

Marijuana, Opium, and Vodka? Bunch of wanna bees trying to act cool..Somebody tell them that getting "drunk" and getting "high" are different things..They aren't suppose to be tried at the same time..Specially at a party like this... :rolleyes:

Stupid rants of a fascist libertine.....I can bet 80% of his "experience" reflected in this garbage was only concocted to support his diabolical agenda; Pakistanis suck, we wanna be goras rock.........:cuckoo:

Stupid rants of a fascist libertine.....I can bet 80% of his "experience" reflected in this garbage was only concocted to support his diabolical agenda; Pakistanis suck, we wanna be goras rock.........:cuckoo:

The writer is a she:

"Shazia Mirza is a comedian from Birmingham and columnist for the New Statesman."

shazia.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/12/comedy-pakistan-religion-sex-halal

In Islamic countries, everything is automatically halal (atleast for the most part)...Chicken, food, medicines etc...Its a given that they'll be halal...so not a big deal..In Western places, where Muslims are a minority, Halal provide great economic/business opportunity to the community..All in all, Halal is a wonderful way of generating money for Islamic Faith/Islamic Communities around the world--which help Islam to spread...and when Islam spreads..the halal comes in..and the cycle continues..Mashallah :)

In Islam every thing is good only for Muslim, Not for others... For others its Very difficult to remain in Islam country... Exploitation is inevitavble... Halal is tool of economic exploitation of non Mulsims...

In Islam every thing is good only for Muslim, Not for others... For others its Very difficult to remain in Islam country... Exploitation is inevitavble... Halal is tool of economic exploitation of non Mulsims...

Halal is good for Islam, right? Good for Muslims? right?

Good. Non-Muslims can do die! I'm soon planning to do a suicide attack at your house beerbal ...be aware :yay:

Back
Top Bottom