What's new

Group believes India will perform anti-satellite test

sudhir007

Reaction score
Group believes India will perform anti-satellite test - Washington DC DC | Examiner.com

The Secure World Foundation (SWF) hosted a special panel discussion on Tuesday to examine India's military space efforts and how their plans could influence overall Asian security.

The event, held at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington, was a follow-up from a SWF co-sponsored conference held in January in New Delhi intended to understand the primary forces behind India’s increasingly militarized space program.

India’s space program, managed by the Indian Space Research Organization, has very strong civil roots and has done much to improve the everyday lives of its citizens. However, India’s space efforts have taken on a more military tone with help from their own missile defense system.

India has been working on its own missile defense system and has held six test intercepts since November 2006; four were reported to be successful. The most recent test was performed on Sunday. Following that test, India’s Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, V.K. Saraswat, said India has “all the technologies and building blocks which can be used for anti-satellite (ASAT) missions” in the low-earth and polar orbits. ASAT weapons are launched into space to incapacitate or destroy satellites for strategic military purposes.

“A missile defense program can very easily be used as a technology demonstartor program for an ASAT capability,” said Victoria Samson, director of SWF’s Washington office.

The United States demonstrated this in 2008 when they fired a modified SM-3 missile from a Navy ship and destroyed a military satellite named USA 193 in orbit.

Space security is a growing interest in India.

“We know how important space has a role today, starting from your cell phones and other gadgets that you use,” Bharath Gopalaswamy told the audience at the event. Gopalaswamy is a researcher in the Arms Control and Non-proliferation Programme at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.

In order to take out a 50-foot by 50-foot wall during World War II it would require 12,000 bombs, Gopalaswamy said. With today’s precision-guided munitions, that use Global Positioning System satellites to navigate, you just need one bomb.

“Every country values its space assets extremely highly,” Gopalaswamy said, “you want to protect them and you want to defend them. If I were the military, I would be saying I want all options on the table.”

India’s scientific community is open to having an ASAT test, according to Gopalaswamy. “They said test it, but be careful, about where you test it and how you test it.”

“India might do an ASAT test in the next five to 10 years,” said Rajeswari Rajagopalan, senior fellow at Observer Reseach Foundation, New Delhi.

But is ASAT development the biggest threat to satellites?

Increasing awareness of space debris and continued efforts to develop and implement international measures to tackle the problem is a major concern for all countries.

Significant on-orbit collisions, such as the collision of the French military satellite Cerise with a portion of an Ariane rocket in 1996, and Russia’s Cosmos 2251 crashing into Iridium 33 in 2009, have encouraged the recognition of space debris as a significant threat.

“As it stands today, in space, the probability of debris hitting a satellite is more than an adversary taking your satellite down,” Gopalaswamy said.

ASAT is developed for defensive purposes??Can they be used as an offensive tool?

We should do it it will only help us and will show the world what we are

i am all in favour of india doing an ASAT test.

a caution however, Secure world foundation is a non governmental forum which does not have even a single member from ISRO or indian military. so i think it just might be a speculation.

I am all for the anti-satellite test but we should wait for 5-7 years because it will bring so much unwanted publicity and search light when we are not prepared with the basics because of decades of neglect of our defense which continue till today.

as the report say,....
india should test ASAT ,but make sure it does not create debris like other did...

Btw Pad can easily be converted into ASAT

india should test ASAT ,but make sure it does not create debris like other did...
Is it really possible....and debris from other tests is causing troubles for our own satellites.

I also think we should not wait long for this test. Right now there is no law against any such tests. If we conduct right now there would be some outcry but it will calm down in few months. Right now there can't be any sanctions as no framework exists to deal with this.

But 5-10 years later some law will definitely be in place and then we won't be able to use it. We can always say that Chinese debris was posing danger to our satellite or we can also shoot down some retiring satellite and claim that we saved the world from the danger of that satellite just like US did.

Is it really possible....and debris from other tests is causing troubles for our own satellites.

I also think we should not wait long for this test. Right now there is no law against any such tests. If we conduct right now there would be some outcry but it will calm down in few months. Right now there can't be any sanctions as no framework exists to deal with this.

But 5-10 years later some law will definitely be in place and then we won't be able to use it. We can always say that Chinese debris was posing danger to our satellite or we can also shoot down some retiring satellite and claim that we saved the world from the danger of that satellite just like US did.

LOL ! nicely put. I second that.

Wish India test it on the X-mas day, to sustain that firework tradition.:tup:

I think we should carry out this test asap.

We need to verify ourselves and show others that the capability that we have ACTUALLY WORKS! and we will USE IT as and when required.

This is the only way to prevent China and/or US from playing with our sats.

This is space deterrence.

its not good to test because we already have the tech no need to show anyone ....... already the debris in space is causing many problems and recent test by china has increased this until some tech is developed to clean this debris its not good to do such a test

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom