Good News & Bad News

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Good and bad news

4-13-2014_243980_l_akb.jpg

June 5, 2013 – March 31, 2014: The best piece of news out of the current season of news is that Pakistan’s economic management has taken a U-turn from consecutive disasters of yesteryears. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has revised its GDP projection upwards from 3 percent to 3.4 percent. The World Bank has revised its GDP projection upwards to 4 percent. According to the IMF, GDP growth for 2014-15 will accelerate to about 3.7 percent. The IMF has also confirmed that the “preliminary data for the 1st quarter 2013-14 recorded 5 percent growth.”

The ADB has promised to provide $3 billion in the form of project aid and programme loans. The World Bank has promised $1.7 billion for energy and infrastructure projects (a total of $10 billion over five years). The Islamic Development Bank has promised $730 million.

The Ministry of Finance has sold Eurobonds worth $2 billion-a magnitude the ministry has never achieved before (this was against an initial target of $500 million). Then there’s 3G for an additional $1.2 billion.

The economy is picking up steam. The private sector has started growing (credit to the private sector has gone up from Rs53 billion last year to Rs231 billion). Machinery imports are already up a wholesome 26 percent. Incorporation of new companies has gone up by 17 percent. Local cement dispatches have gone up by 9 percent.

The one man behind this economic turnaround is Ishaq Dar, the PML-N’s super-minister. In December, this man claimed that he would bring the almightily dollar down to Rs98. In March, the dollar had come down to 98. On February 14, this man said that “Pakistan’s foreign exchange reserves will increase to more than $10 billion by the end of March.” By end-March, our reserves had reached $10 billion.

A robust economy creates business opportunities and business opportunities generate jobs. And additional jobs will put tons of smiles on a million Pakistanis-poor Pakistanis who haven’t smiled for long.

April 1, 2014 – April 7, 2014: On March 31, General (r) Musharraf was indicted. And then came the two speeches – Khawaja Saad Rafique’s and Khawaja Asif’s. And then came a commando’s question – “Why do they hate us?” And then came General Raheel Sharif’s “will resolutely preserve its own dignity and institutional pride” speech.

Our army is in a state of a bloody war. Imagine: 5,681 of our officers and our jawans have accepted martyrdom so that the rest of us can live. Our army is laying down lives so that you and I can live in peace.

Imagine: 5,681 army families have buried their loved ones. There isn’t a unit in the army that hasn’t buried a life-long friend, a colleague, a pal, a buddy or a mate. There isn’t a battalion in the army that hasn’t smelled death as close as two coats of paint.

For the information of our honourable ministers, a military defeat results from discouragement not casualties. Here’s a COAS who has built a 38-year military career based on non-confrontation. Imagine what the general must be going through to have come up with a statement like that. Imagine what our soldiers must be going through when one of them, as old as my son, asks his general “Why do they hate us?”

The really bad piece of news out of the current season of news is: The civilian government’s ‘Project: Greater Civilian Control is being managed recklessly – and heartlessly.

The writer is a columnist based in Islamabad. Email: farrukh15@hotmail.com

Twitter: @saleemfarrukh

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe me,i too never expected the Economy to recover this fast.

I thought it will take atleast 5 years for us to recover our economy But with this speed,A single more year and we will see the economy almost recovered.

*Historic 18% increase in Export
*Growth rate to go beyond 4% this year
*Reserves within a single year to reach from 7.7Billion dollars to 16Billion dollars in a single year
*Export to reach 50Billion dollars within 3 years
*GDP to Cross 300Billion dollars mark this year
*Rupee appreciation by almost 13% in only 4 Months and appreciating further
*Development throughout Picking up
*Education spending Up from 2.1% to 2.7% in a single year
*Provinces having Education spending on average more than 20% of their Budget

I must say kudos to Ishaq Dar

Start believing that because eyou live in Islamic Republic of Resilient Pakistan. :pakistan:

I thought it will take atleast 5 years for us to recover our economy But with this speed,A single more year and we will see the economy almost recovered.

*Reserves within a single year to reach from 7.7Billion dollars to 16Billion dollars in a single year

All this numbers would have been so much better if Imran became PM.

All this numbers would have been so much better if Imran became PM.

Pakistan first, politics second.

The problems with PML-N's mindset will be shown by the consequence of their policies within a few years. A few years down the line Metro Buses and Motorways would start to lose their luster as people begin to take them for granted. Then people will ask tough questions about concentration of wealth, nepotism, and lagging services (health, education, etc...)

I am a little skeptical...I used to see soo many made in Pakistan products which decreased to becoming non existing (here in EU)...so where is all this trade / business coming from?

Well , the economy needs full 5 years of "stability" and economic reforms to see real change specially at provincial level first

What is interesting is the following:

Anytime a new government comes to power, civil or military, the first two or three years are full of great claims of progress and exciting improvements.

The next two or three years are the test as all these claims do not change anything substantive and people stop believing them.

Over the next few years, the reality bites hard to the dismay of all until the government changes.

Rinse. Repeat.

Pakistan first, politics second.

The problems with PML-N's mindset will be shown by the consequence of their policies within a few years. A few years down the line Metro Buses and Motorways would start to lose their luster as people begin to take them for granted. Then people will ask tough questions about concentration of wealth, nepotism, and lagging services (health, education, etc...)
that is how u r supposed to grow in democracy.....people get what they wish for..

What is interesting is the following:

Anytime a new government comes to power, civil or military, the first two or three years are full of great claims of progress and exciting improvements.

The next two or three years are the test as all these claims do not change anything substantive and people stop believing them.

Over the next few years, the reality bites hard to the dismay of all until the government changes.

Rinse. Repeat.

Sorry but within the first year of PPP,The KSE 100 Index crashed to a record low in 10years.

Meanwhile now the KSE-100 index has crossed 70Billion market cap and is expected to reach 90Billion dollars this year,Which is said to be a increase of almost 28% within a single year.

When PPP came to govt,the power crisis were getting worse and the load shedding increased,

Under this Govt the load shedding has increased to non existing in cities like Abbottabad where in 2011 i still remember we had more than 8hours loadshedding.Today usually 1 over in a day or max 2hours.Anyone from abbotttabad can confirm that we had no loadshedding in abbottabad at all from august to dec last year.

i can mention more

PML-N is living on 'borrowed money'. the sand-castle could be swept away any time.

Sorry but within the first year of PPP,The KSE 100 Index crashed to a record low in 10years.

Meanwhile now the KSE-100 index has crossed 70Billion market cap and is expected to reach 90Billion dollars this year,Which is said to be a increase of almost 28% within a single year.

When PPP came to govt,the power crisis were getting worse and the load shedding increased,

Under this Govt the load shedding has increased to non existing in cities like Abbottabad where in 2011 i still remember we had more than 8hours loadshedding.Today usually 1 over in a day or max 2hours.Anyone from abbotttabad can confirm that we had no loadshedding in abbottabad at all from august to dec last year.

i can mention more

We are still in the "honeymoon" period. Reality will bite back soon enough.

In what world?

Pakistan's economy is less than 250 billion dollars as of now...what makes you think and we'll add $70 billion more in just one year?

PML-N is living on 'borrowed money'. the sand-castle could be swept away any time.

THIS!

Back
Top Bottom