German Government To Cancel Saudi Tank Deal

HRK

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
German Government To Cancel Saudi Tank Deal

BERLIN
The German government will not approve a reported deal to sell up to 800 battle tanks to Saudi Arabia, a German Sunday newspaper said, citing government sources.

The sale of the Leopard-2 tanks was billed as one of the biggest deals for the German armaments industry, Bild reported.

But Economy Minister Sigmar Gabriel, a Social Democrat in the left-right “grand coalition,” has “positioned himself against a tanks delivery to the autocratic royal house,” it said, citing government sources.

“Without agreement from the economy minister, the deal has no chance,” Bild said.

The report said the deal was not sent for approval to the German national security council, which counts Chancellor Angela Merkel among its members.

In 2012 Bild am Sonntag reported that Saudi Arabia wanted to buy 600-800 Leopard battle tanks from Germany, more than twice as many as originally envisaged.

Its latest report Sunday said Saudi Arabia was chasing the German tanks for years and had budgeted nearly €18 billion ($25 billion) for them.

The Leopard-2 tanks, Germany’s main battle tank, is also produced under license in Spain.

Germany declined to sell heavy weapons to Saudi Arabia for decades because of concerns over human rights and fears for Israel’s security.

Contacted by AFP, an economy ministry spokeswoman said the government did not give information about “individual procedural stages of possible approvals for export of munitions.”

Why would Saudi want to pay 25 billion dollars for 800 tanks?

maxresdefault.jpg

Armor: Turkish Tanks Head For Saudi Arabia :whistle:

Typical when contract is lost then lets make excuse of human rights. Similar thing was said by one american company recently when Pakistan rejected their offer.

Let's be honest. Chancellor Merkel was tirelessly trying to win this contract over other competitors such as France, the US, Turkey, Pakistan, China, Russia, and the UK. In 2008, These aforementioned countries made their proposals right after the announcement that came out of the RSF which stated that it is starting to evaluate the possible procurement of 200 - 1000 tanks over the next decade.

The Germans approached us offering their Leopard 2 tanks, Spain too expressed its interests in wining the bidding as it builds and produces a version of Leopard 2 similar to what Germany offers.

KSA has got several options in hand. However, I don't think that KSA is willing to procure any German-made military equipments whatsoever, a few months ago Germany's External Intelligence Agency was caught at a scandal in KSA while they were trying to gather some info.

If we want the Leopard 2 tank, we can get it easily and smoothly from Spain.

why not challenger ?? I think its also a cool toy .. what do you think @Yzd Khalifa

I don't think the RSF is interested in it. However, I believe the Navy might be willing to procure a bunch of them if they decided to expand their Marine Corps Forces.

Same old same old, said it before when KSA already has a superior M1s many being upgraded in US and Saudi Arabia and more can be purchased from US with greater TOT than why look towards Germany for tanks. Turkish Altay is heavy weight tank no point in acquiring same Types heavyweight from Turkey, rather a better way is to order more M1s and JV with Pakistan on AK2 MBT and whatever can be bought on the shelves for the Tanks from US or France the project can have multiple variants. In the end provided KSA wants to invest in the region with one of the allies. It has been 2-3 years or even more KSA wasted enough time, they need to decide whom they want to invest with.

Turkey is a long-standing ally, committed to KSA's self-defense security measures. We can acquire the Altay with an ink of a paper with a huge ToT agreement, if we wish.

We do have a tremendous amount of support among Turkish Arms Companies, State Officials, Military Establishments, the Parliament, and Influential politicians.

Same old same old, said it before when KSA already has a superior M1s many being upgraded in US and Saudi Arabia and more can be purchased from US with greater TOT than why look towards Germany for tanks. Turkish Altay is heavy weight tank no point in acquiring same Types heavyweight from Turkey, rather a better way is to order more M1s and JV with Pakistan on AK2 MBT and whatever can be bought on the shelves for the Tanks from US or France the project can have multiple variants. In the end provided KSA wants to invest in the region with one of the allies. It has been 2-3 years or even more KSA wasted enough time, they need to decide whom they want to invest with.

We are in no harry friend. Our tanks are good enough to serve their purpose, to the ones we've got in hand.

If I were a Saudi policy-maker, I would go for the JF-17, and AK2 MBT. :-)

Last edited:
They would have to hold a competition between Altay and AK2 in order to determine which is better. Also I dont see why they would order lighter tanks if they are not having any problems with the heavy weight ones they operate already. It seems that they are looking to distance themselves from american military tech over the long term so I dont think that they will buy that many more abrams tanks (600-800).

Let's be honest. Chancellor Merkel was tirelessly trying to win this contract over other competitors such as France, the US, Turkey, Pakistan, China, Russia, and the UK. In 2008, These aforementioned countries made their proposals right after the announcement that came out of the RSF which stated that it is starting to evaluate the possible procurement of 200 - 1000 tanks over the next decade.

The Germans approached us offering their Leopard 2 tanks, Spain too expressed its interests in wining the bidding as it builds and produces a version of Leopard 2 similar to what Germany offers.

KSA has got several options in hand. However, I don't think that KSA is willing to procure any German-made military equipments whatsoever, a few months ago Germany's External Intelligence Agency was caught at a scandal in KSA while they were trying to gather some info.

If we want the Leopard 2 tank, we can get it easily and smoothly from Spain.

I don't think the RSF is interested in it. However, I believe the Navy might be willing to procure a bunch of them if they decided to expand their Marine Corps Forces.

okie dokie ... and what about the deals of AK from Pakistan ?

okie dokie ... and what about the deals of AK from Pakistan ?

We're lobbying for it :cheesy:

No seriously, from what I personally have seen so far the JF-17 deal gained massive support of many politicians, military experts, and defense analysts.

I'm not quite sure about the AK2 MBT tbqh.

I do support the JF-17 procurement for political, military, and economic reasons. :pakistan:

We're lobbying for it :cheesy:

No seriously, from what I personally have seen so far the JF-17 deal gained massive support of many politicians, military experts, and defense analysts.

I'm not quite sure about the AK2 MBT tbqh.

I do support the JF-17 procurement for political, military, and economic reasons. :pakistan:

our co-operation on different project is a need of time ... I hope that at least one deal ends up in success ...

Wait till IDEAS 2014 !!! ;)

We there is a good chance that we'll be seeing our Next Generation Main Battle Tank.

inshallah

Back
Top Bottom