What's new

German citizen sentenced to death for double killing despite Berlin protests

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
German citizen sentenced to death for double killing despite Berlin protests

A local court in Xiamen, Fujian province on Wednesday sentenced a German citizen to death for a double homicide, which is the first time that the People's Republic of China has imposed a death penalty on a German citizen.

"The verdict will be submitted to the Supreme People's Court for approval," a source from the Xiamen Intermediate People's Court told the Global Times on condition of anonymity.

The German foreign office on Thursday told the Global Times via telephone that the German government strongly opposes all form of capital punishment, and that it will try everything in its power to ensure that the death sentence will not be carried out.

The 36-year-old German man is reportedly from Teisendorf, the southern German state of Bavaria. He killed his ex-girlfriend from Venezuela and her new German boyfriend with a hammer and a knife on a street in Xiamen in June 2010, according to German weekly Focus Online.

Chen Liqun, the defendant's lawyer, said in an interview with Deutsche Presse-Agentur that his client has not decided whether to file an appeal or not.

"China will not accept any judicial interference from other countries," Mo Shaoping, a renowned criminal defense lawyer and a professor with the Central University of Finance and Economics, told the Global Times on Thursday.

He added that German government's opposition to the death penalty will not affect any judicial decision in China, unless the criminal enjoys diplomatic immunity.

To date, around 140 countries have abolished the capital punishment. Only 58, including China, Japan, Singapore and the US, retain it.

He kills someone with brutality, he deserves the death sentence. Come on our German friend, let not get into a fight over this criminal!

Going by the comments of many news articles in our media, pretty much everyone in Germany are in accord with China's decision to punish him hard. But many, including me, are against death sentences for any crime, because killing him would not bring the other two back to life. It just adds another killing to the list.

We in Germany think that he should get a life sentence and work off his guilt for the rest of his life. That would give back more to society than to simply kill him. The law must give justice and not used as a tool of revenge.

= Free room, board and a job for the rest of his life.

I am sure many law abiding citizens would prefer all that money be spent on someone who didn't kill two people.

Didn't you read the part of working for the rest of his life to repay to society?

Going by the comments of many news articles in our media, pretty much everyone in Germany are in accord with China's decision to punish him hard. But many, including me, are against death sentences for any crime, because killing him would not bring the other two back to life. It just adds another killing to the list.

We in Germany think that he should get a life sentence and work off his guilt for the rest of his life. That would give back more to society than to simply kill him. The law must give justice and not used as a tool of revenge.
Revenge is just one aspect of consideration. the more important part is deterrent. other people would consider twice before commit similar crime again.

Revenge is just one aspect of consideration. the more important part is deterrent. other people would consider twice before commit similar crime again.

What deterrence when the criminal will be out of people's sight once killed? Don't you think that letting people see the criminal leading a miserable life in prison working for no pay a better deterrence? Revenge is never justice, it's the law of the jungle not the rule of law.

What deterrence when the criminal will be out of people's sight once killed? Don't you think that letting people see the criminal leading a miserable life in prison working for no pay a better deterrence? Revenge is never justice, it's the law of the jungle not the rule of law.
if you let the criminal choose getting killed or leading a miserable life in prison, I bet most will choose living in prison. So killing is a better deterrence. besides, if killing make people forget it, don't you think living in prison will remind people again and again? they will be forgetten as well.

if you let the criminal choose getting killed or leading a miserable life in prison, I bet most will choose living in prison. So killing is a better deterrence. besides, if killing make people forget it, don't you think living in prison will remind people again and again? they will be forgetten as well.

Where did I say letting criminals choose? How about abolishing death sentence and let criminals repay society by working for them?

For the criminal and his/her family and friends, putting the criminal behind bars will always remind them of his/ her act.

As I said before, revenge is not the rule of law but the rule of the jungle. By killing a murder, you become a murder yourself.

Does China want to be ruled by law or by revenge?

Where did I say letting criminals choose? How about abolishing death sentence and let criminals repay society by working for them?

For the criminal and his/her family and friends, putting the criminal behind bars will always remind them of his/ her act.

As I said before, revenge is not the rule of law but the rule of the jungle. By killing a murder, you become a murder yourself.

Does China want to be ruled by law or by revenge?
You are ridiculosu to claim that law should not include death penalty otherwise it is revenge. As I said, the deterrence is not supposed to apply to criminal's familiy and friends, but to other people who plan committing similar crime. if you know you will get shot, you may not do it.

we apply the same prctice for 5000 years and we know its effect.

Back
Top Bottom