What's new

Gen Qamar mulls different set of methods for security

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: It’s still early in army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa’s tenure, but the enormity of the challenges the country is facing means he has his work cut out for him.

Like his predecessor, his major challenge is to take the fight against terror to its logical conclusion. But will he follow in Gen (retd) Raheel Sharif’s footsteps?

Army committed to completing CPEC as planned: Gen Bajwa

Since 2001 — when Pakistan was thrust into this long drawn out battle — the army has gone through three chiefs before Gen Qamar. All three of them followed different paths to tackle militancy.

While Pervez Musharraf was focused more on al Qaeda and its affiliates, his successor Ashfaq Parvez Kayani is credited with going after homegrown militants.

Kayani’s successor Gen Raheel, meanwhile, took the fight to North Waziristan, which was then seen as the headquarters of all local and foreign terrorist groups.

Operation Zarb-e-Azb, launched in June 2014, and the National Action Plan (NAP) adopted after the Army Public School massacre near the end of that year resulted in a 50% decline in terrorist incidents in the country.

But the last quarter of 2016 has been deadly. Major attacks, particularly in Balochistan, were a grim reminder that the battle against militancy is far from over.

Against this backdrop, a senior military official has given rare insight into the how the current army chief will deal with militancy. The official – who requested not to be named since he is not authorised to speak to the media – said that while the overarching objective is still the same, Gen Qamar will certainly employ different methodologies when dealing with security. The official did not elaborate what these ‘different methodologies’ would entail.

official-1483913484.jpg

The major reshuffle in the army within days of Gen Qamar assuming command suggests he wants to have a team of ‘likeminded’ commanders to pursue his strategy. The first thing the army under Gen Qamar is engaged in at the moment is an ‘honest and realistic’ appraisal of the security situation.

Gen Qamar fires broadside at Indian counterpart

“The findings of this appraisal so far indicate a lot more needs to be done,” the official said. “There will be no absolute peace. This is the new normal,” he added in candid remarks about the success of the ongoing anti-terror war.

He explained that like the rest of the world, Pakistan needs to reconcile itself with this ‘new normal’ whereby certain elements might keep trying to undermine security but the government and other organs will have to ensure that such incidents will not affect state business.

“We have achieved this new normal … the challenge now is to maintain it.”

During Gen Raheel’s tenure, it was often said that the military establishment was in charge of the country’s security and foreign policy. The security official dismissed that narrative but emphasised that the armed forces will have a central role given the current environment.

“We have seen in recent decades that countries with no or weak armed forces couldn’t survive,” the official argued, saying that had there been no strong army, Pakistan would have met the same fate. “Just throw 1,500 terrorists in any country… you will see how it disappears,” he said, adding that Pakistan was dealing with a far bigger challenge where it not only had to deal with homegrown militants but also ones backed by external forces.

The official said it was a war of narratives as much as an actual battle. “And as part of this war of narratives, the wrong impression is being given that the army controls the country’s security and foreign policy.”

The official said that the army under Gen Qamar would follow a more cohesive strategy where all institutions would play their respective part in steering the country out of this problem.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 9th, 2017.

Cut off the head of the snake and start hitting TTP safe heavens in Nangarhar.
use haqqanis.
new strategy is pretty good . northern allaince ki govt ko hi controversial bana do. accept Talibans as an stakeholder in afghanistan.

Cut off the head of the snake and start hitting TTP safe heavens in Nangarhar.

Had General Raheel Shareef continued, there would be no question this would happen.

There is a far fetched interpretation I could try to give Bajwa's words, or rather the lack of them. The new normal has been achieved within the country so maintain it, and now focus on external threats. But even I admit it's far fetched.

use haqqanis.
new strategy is pretty good . northern allaince ki govt ko hi controversial bana do. accept Talibans as an stakeholder in afghanistan.

Hope I'm wrong but Qamar Bajwa sounds like Kayani all over again.

Last edited:
Noora doesn't want anymore talk of National Acton Plan hence he picked Qamar Bajwa and not Nadeem Ashfaq.
Exactly.. No talk/action on NAP. No more military courts.Dawn leaks is disappeared all out from scene. I don't know what will come next..

Hope I'm wrong but Qamar Bajwa sounds like Kayani all over again.

I think..what seems now of Gen Bajwa... I think Gen Kiyani was also much better than him.. Remember time period in which Gen Kiyani took over was much more difficult... worst relations with US, insurgency in all tribal areas, still he managed to clear most of FATA... he also took"some stand" on memo gate, for some time..submitted his statement in SC..yes he didn't pursue it further, just like Raheel Sharif... in similar scenario.. Gen Raheel and Gen Kiyani acted similar..so Gen Kiyani was just as good or bad in memogate as Gen Raheel Sharif in dawn leaks... while from the moment Gen Bajwa has taken over...Dawn leaks disappeared as if it never existed...

I wonder what different methods Gen Bajwa mulls for security?..maybe no further substantial action and agreeing to whatever Nawaz Sharif says... because as said by security official..this is now the new normal and we must come to terms with current security situation ..and not expect any further betterment.. according to Gen Bajwas thinking...agar hum current status quo ko hi maintain karlein, as far as security is concerned..tu woh bhi bhtt bari baat hogi... while Gen Kiyani took many actions.. esp in his first tenure.. yes his sec tenure was not good..but we must keep in mind tht in his sec tenure, we had worst relations with US, and it looked like almost an open confrontation with US, and had he sent army in North Waziristan at tht time, we ourselves would have said tht army is an American pithoo and they are doing it on American dictation and it wouldn't have got any public support rather negative..anti Americanism was at its peak then..so we cant blame Gen Kiyani for not finishing off NW

Last edited:
Exactly.. No talk/action on NAP. No more military courts.Dawn leaks is disappeared all out from scene. I don't know what will come next..

There is some hope.

If Raheel Shareef joins Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition then he may be able to push into Nangarhar to fight ISIS and take out TTP safe heavens as a bonus.

Alhamdulillah Gen Qamar Bajwa is doing fine , if we see the statistics 40 days have passed since he has been made the COAS and in these 40 days no terrorists attack has occurred while around 39 Terrorists have been killed by LEA's "" Mashallah "" this is a good start for Gen sahab but on the other hand the crime rate in karachi has slightly increased . In a single week my friend got mugged 2 times near Defence phase 5 :D .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom