What's new

Gaddafi kills Libyan defense minister

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Gaddafi kills Libyan defense minister

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has reportedly killed the country’s defense minister for his harsh reproach of the regime’s policies.

According to the Algerian newspaper Al-Nahar, Gaddafi personally shot and killed Major General Abubaker Jaber Younes because he had complained about the attacks on the Libyan people by the country’s military and hired mercenaries.

The newspaper did not mention the date of his death, although some officials confirmed the report.

Meanwhile, the United Nations is negotiating with Libya's government, rebels, and NATO to stop fighting for 24 to 72 hours to allow food and medical supplies to reach civilians, especially in the west, its envoy said on Wednesday, Reuters reported.

Panos Moumtzis, the UN humanitarian coordinator for Libya, said he would also seek security guarantees for UN aid workers to reach the besieged city of Misrata and the Western Mountains in talks with authorities in the Libyan capital Tripoli on Friday.

“The humanitarian pause is driven by humanitarian principles and the need to be able to provide urgently needed life-saving assistance to the civilian population in distress,” Moumtzis told a Geneva news conference before leaving for Tunis.

The pause could last from one to three days and while not a formal ceasefire it would allow for the evacuation of migrants, wounded and others wishing to leave war-affected areas, he said.

The United Nations withdrew its international staff from Tripoli on May 1 after its offices were ransacked on the day Libya said Muammar Gaddafi's youngest son and three grandchildren were killed in a NATO airstrike.

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=240999

Good job Gaddafi, eliminate every single moderfckr traitor.

Good job Gaddafi, eliminate every single moderfckr traitor.

I hope this is a bad attempt at irony. You can't be that depraved and/or stupid and seriously take Gaddafi side at this point.

In related news:

Libya's Top Diplomat in Berlin
'I Am No Longer Gadhafi's Ambassador'

Libya's ambassadors to the United Nations, the US and India renounced the Gadhafi regime long ago. But the country's ambassador to Germany, Jamal El-Baraq, kept quiet. Now he has distanced himself from the dictator in a SPIEGEL ONLINE interview.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Mr. Baraq, former Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa fled the country in March. Oil Minister Shukri Ghanem is reported to have defected. And now there are even rumors that Moammar Gadhafi's wife and daughter have arrived in Tunisia. What is your position regarding the regime in Tripoli?

Baraq: It will collapse. The regime is fighting against its own people. It fires on defenseless people with heavy artillery. I come from Misrata -- my whole family comes from there. Every day, acquaintances and friends of ours are being killed there. A school friend of my son Rawad has just died.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Why are you only making such critical remarks now? Why did you not renounce the regime long ago, like your fellow ambassadors in Delhi and in Washington? Abdurrahman Shalgham, Libya's former ambassador to the United Nations, did so right at the beginning of the crisis.

Baraq: I called Shalgham at the time. He was the person who originally sent me to Berlin as ambassador. He told me: Continue with your work for now. And that's what I did. Libya's people's bureaus (ed's note: Libya' s official name for its embassies) abroad represent, as the name suggests, the people. I am no longer Gadhafi's ambassador. I am a representative of the Libyan people.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Are you hereby dissociating yourself from the regime in Tripoli?

Baraq: I will no longer accept what this regime is doing. I hate what the regime is doing. A government has to protect its people, not kill them.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: If you now see things that way, how can you stay in your position?

Baraq: Because Shalgham advised me to do so. Ever since the UN adopted Resolution 1973, I have not done any more political work. I only come into the office occasionally. But we have over 700 Libyan students in Germany. I make sure that they get their €1,800 allowance each month and that their health insurance and tuition fees are paid.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: So you are still receiving money from Libya?

Baraq: We have enough money to last us until June. The last transfer arrived just over a month ago. But Deutsche Bank in Frankfurt has not released the funds. Our branch in Berlin is now trying to find out if this is perhaps possible.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: How much money do you actually get?

Baraq: At the end of each quarter we receive our budget for the next three months: about €1.6 million per month for the students and a smaller amount, about €150,000 per month, to cover the salaries of the embassy staff.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Do you really have no other funds on top of that? Were you not the person who acquired the properties in Munich where Gadhafi's son Saif al-Arab Gadhafi lived before he returned to Libya, before reportedly being killed during a NATO air strike two weeks ago?

Baraq: That is correct. I was responsible for buying the house where he lived. But I had no personal dealings with him.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: What are your current plans?

Baraq: I am currently trying to get the German Foreign Ministry to issue visas for 11 seriously injured people from Misrata who are currently in hospitals in Turkey and Tunisia. Nothing more can be done for them there.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: The German authorities would probably find it easier to accommodate your wishes if you had publicly expressed your position earlier.

Baraq: The German Foreign Ministry knows my position.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: The Foreign Ministry summoned you in early April and expelled five of your diplomats from Germany.

Baraq: I had no problem with that. Some of them had already left the country anyway.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Why did you not at least use that opportunity to distance yourself from the Gadhafi regime?

Baraq: Let me repeat what I said earlier. I followed the advice of my former foreign minister, Abdurrahman Shalgham, who is a very experienced diplomat.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: But he took a risk and distanced himself from the regime right at the beginning of the war.

Baraq: In his case that also meant something. It was a sign that was recognized all over the world. My situation is somewhat different. I have to take care of the Libyan community living in Germany.

Libya's Top Diplomat in Berlin: 'I Am No Longer Gadhafi's Ambassador' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

@ Unbeliever

Who the fcuk gives you the right or your Govt. or the UN to liberate the people of Libya from the dictatorship of Gaddafi? He has every right to defend his country and his countrymen and he's doing good in eliminating the traitors. The UN is a bloody murderer organisation, American administration and the NATO bufffooons has the blood of millions of innocents people. I don't give a fcuk about your opinion or the hypocrit media of yours - the blood of those million innocent will hunt you down one day in the palm of your mother. Shameful and disgustful lot of people...

@ Unbeliever

Who the fcuk gives you the right or your Govt. or the UN to liberate the people of Libya from the dictatorship of Gaddafi? He has every right to defend his country and his countrymen and he's doing good in eliminating the traitors. The UN is a bloody murderer organisation, American administration and the NATO bufffooons has the blood of millions of innocents people. I don't give a fcuk about your opinion or the hypocrit media of yours - the blood of those million innocent will hunt you down one day in the palm of your mother. Shameful and disgustful lot of people...
You cannot really be serious with those claims your making. What is the difference between you and a red neck American? When you make such exaggerated claims, your people looses the credibility to a potentially civilised debate which might lead to some solution in the near future. And secondly, don't forget that the US was reluctant to fight Gaddafi. Gaddafi was in their controls anyways.
Irrational hate and phobia will never bring anything positive news to either side of the world.

why would he need to do it by his own hand when he has loyalists to do the dirty work for him

where are those female body guards??

I personally do not see Qaddafi's regime falling anytime soon. His support in Tripoli is very strong. In fact, it will take nothing shorter than NATO forces levelling his palace(s) and killing him --in order to end his regime.

According to some sources i have in the country, it is true however that there are some extremist/salafist types who are part of the anti-Qaddafi coalition. So to some extent (which i cant quantify) the West is helping terrorist sympathisers. I personally think that outside intervention in Libya is bound to lead to disaster. The civil war will only intensify and in fact it is counter-productive.

if Libya wasn't sitting on sweet crude, it is obvious that none of these Western countries would be giving a damn about what is going on there. But when you have countries like Italy for example which was getting a whopping 25% of its energy supplies from Libya alone, it is clear why they want to intervene.

As much as you people may disagree with me, I still say that Qaddafi thus far is one of the only personalities at present who can keep Libya together. But if you dont believe me, then if he and his regime fall -- standby and watch for yourself :)

Is gaddafi really such an unpopular ruler?

Even with air support he seems able to hold power.

Perhaps he's not as hated as people are making out?

Is gaddafi really such an unpopular ruler?

Even with air support he seems able to hold power.

Perhaps he's not as hated as people are making out?

You ain't seen nutin' yet!

Gadha-fi (donkey-is) is in the crosshairs now. The only reason he hasn't been killed right away because NATO didn't want to bomb the heck out of Trippy trippy tripoli.

Otherwise the ARab world will moan and groan about goras taking down another Sad-Damn.

Wish Gadha-fi had seen the light and fled to some other country just like his wifey and other family members.

peace.

@ Unbeliever

Gaddafi has forced the Libyan people to go for help to the west. Gaddafi has always been a self serving, murderous despot who has absolutely no conscience, no mercy for those who reveal or talk about his crimes. It is utter stupidity to support him just because he's being grilled by his one time friends. Don't forget that only a few months ago Italy's Berlusconi and Britain's Blair were his buddies. So, I won't shed tears for this genocidal thug.

Ghaddafi is no different than typical arab despots ruling the middle east..despite sitting over all the oil they have no say in world economics
The hasmites who are so proud of belonging to prophet clan collaborated with the british in bombing or Iraq eliminating hundreds of villages and innocent citizens.

The whole of NATO intrest and pact with the rebels of Libya revolves around oil. Already news is in the media about rebels raising tenders for sale of crude. For comparision purpose, it should be lawless horn of africa which should be bombed to eliminate all pirates.
It is said about the kuffars that they wage war and spread chaos for economic and material gains. God, when will we start beliving the Quran. What sort of Muslims we are..If we get weak on our understand of religion we are bound to be forced in submission of kuffars!

Today the destiny of all Muslim countries around the world is being decided in Washington or EU. So powerlesss we have become.

Back
Top Bottom