What's new

Funny Countryballs et al !

Yes I did:D. To be fair I make fun of Norwegian cuisine all the time too. I actually like Kebabpizza though.

And I stand by my original statement and comic. Scandinavian foods are generally either weird fusions of multiple nation's cuisine or Crimes Against Good Taste, like Lutefisk:bad:

But I don't like Smörgåstårta:angry:!! That's the bad kind of weird fusion. Give me a sandwich or give me a cake, preferably Red Velvet with chocolate chips, but don't mix the two together and give me a sandwich cake:o:.

Haha I never thought about the fusion thing so much, but you are right. The latest headlines nowadays are about princessemlor, a mixture of prinsesstårta and traditional semlor. :partay::angel:

https://www.gp.se/nyheter/sverige/prinsess-semlan-gör-dundersuccé-1.4114986

dKuoyZj.png

Context in the word's of the artist:

Context: In exchange for Venezuelan oil, Cuba sends medical personnel to Venezuela. I wanted to turn this into a more amusing situation (like ... slavery ... ... it is humorous huh ?!)

Also, everyone knows that Cuba is crazy about old American cars, and "do-it-yourself" works. That car in the comic is a 1949 Oldsmobile 88 convertible (common model in Cuba, I heard). And ... yes, I like to draw cars and technical things, it can be tricky but sooo rewarding.

https://www.reddit.com/r/polandball/comments/5po90k/cubas_fuel/

This one's ice cold, but it felt necessary given recent events.

4ZykfzY.png

There's an obvious context, but there's also this

Hehe, I always loved that one. FVBLT has some of the crappiest art I've ever seen, but his writing is typically wonderful - this is one of my favs from him, along with his Pawnaguay comic.

moGfFrD.png

The latest headlines nowadays are about princessemlor, a mixture of prinsesstårta and traditional semlor. :partay::angel:

:o:Oh goodness that sounds delicious. Gib!!

Meanwhile in the land of Norge...

UQ4RXG2.png

Well... I mean, it is "Lutefish". Might actually taste better then the real thing too:bad:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile in the land of Norge...

UQ4RXG2.png

Well... I mean, it's Lutefish. Might actually taste better then the real thing too:bad:.

You don't like Lutefisk? Then again, it's more of an American thing now, I hear. Norwegian-Americans and Swedish-Americans eat quite a bit of it here, especially during the holidays.

mjs-lutefisk_-nws_-sears_-4a-lutefisk.jpg

Although the doors don’t open until 11 a.m., the parking lot is already filling up on a Friday morning at Lakeview Lutheran Church in Madison, Wisconsin. Inside, volunteers busily set tables, stir boiling pots and dish out plates of food they’ve been planning and preparing for weeks. Outside, pink-cheeked diners decked in Nordic sweaters head up the steps, eager for their annual taste of lye-soaked cod drenched in melted butter.

“I like lutefisk! It tastes good to me,” says Nelson Walstead with a laugh. Walstead, a Norwegian-American, is the chief organizer of Lakeview Lutheran’s annual lutefisk dinner. “It makes me feel good to know we are keeping the tradition alive, and that we’re passing this on to the next generation,” he says.

But today, Scandinavians rarely eat lutefisk. Far more lutefisk is consumed in the United States, much of it in church and lodge basements. In fact, the self-proclaimed “lutefisk capital of the world” isn’t in Norway but in Madison, Minnesota, where a fiberglass codfish named “Lou T. Fisk” welcomes visitors to this lye-fish loving town. The lutefisk dinner is an annual fall and winter tradition at scores of Lutheran churches and Nordic fraternal groups throughout the Upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest or anywhere with a large Scandinavian-American population. Strangely, these children of immigrants celebrate a tradition that connects them to their ancestral home, even as many Scandinavians have moved on.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/peopl...s-strange-holiday-lutefisk-tradition-2218218/

You don't like Lutefisk? Then again, it's more of an American thing now, I hear. Norwegian-Americans and Swedish-Americans eat quite a bit of it here, especially during the holidays.

mjs-lutefisk_-nws_-sears_-4a-lutefisk.jpg

Although the doors don’t open until 11 a.m., the parking lot is already filling up on a Friday morning at Lakeview Lutheran Church in Madison, Wisconsin. Inside, volunteers busily set tables, stir boiling pots and dish out plates of food they’ve been planning and preparing for weeks. Outside, pink-cheeked diners decked in Nordic sweaters head up the steps, eager for their annual taste of lye-soaked cod drenched in melted butter.

“I like lutefisk! It tastes good to me,” says Nelson Walstead with a laugh. Walstead, a Norwegian-American, is the chief organizer of Lakeview Lutheran’s annual lutefisk dinner. “It makes me feel good to know we are keeping the tradition alive, and that we’re passing this on to the next generation,” he says.

But today, Scandinavians rarely eat lutefisk. Far more lutefisk is consumed in the United States, much of it in church and lodge basements. In fact, the self-proclaimed “lutefisk capital of the world” isn’t in Norway but in Madison, Minnesota, where a fiberglass codfish named “Lou T. Fisk” welcomes visitors to this lye-fish loving town. The lutefisk dinner is an annual fall and winter tradition at scores of Lutheran churches and Nordic fraternal groups throughout the Upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest or anywhere with a large Scandinavian-American population. Strangely, these children of immigrants celebrate a tradition that connects them to their ancestral home, even as many Scandinavians have moved on.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/peopl...s-strange-holiday-lutefisk-tradition-2218218/

I'm actually not surprised. We're becoming more globalized and you Americans are an open people who love to experience other cultures... that and Wisconsin and Minnesota have large Scandinavian-origin populations. People getting in touch with their ancestry and linage, never a bad thing in my view. Ironically those are becoming less and less traditional for us each year.

I can't stand Lutefisk though. The taste is fine, very mild in fact, not too fishy compared to others like Salmon or Trout and the flavor is easily drowned out by a good alcohol base or garnishes, but I've never been one for it. I do love fish though, even some "fish" like whale, but prefer my fish in a salad, pasta, sandwich or grilled... we Norwegians love to grill and barbecue. It's an obsession:

brQVNab.png

And being a stereotypical Norge in more ways then one, you know I'm in on this action too:lol:. Say hello to my little friend (and backyard)!!

jivpp1X.jpg

But not, Lutefisk and I don't get along, though my family is more partial to it and thus sometimes I have to tolerate it:(. I'm glad to see it's found a home in the States though. Now if only you could take surströmming away from the Swedes:whistle:

The comic is realistic too, not just a bunch of Norwegian food stereotypes. Fishy, salty, bland and expensive are words people throw around a lot when talking about Norwegian cuisine. Desserts are nice though:happy:.

I'm actually not surprised. We're becoming more globalized and you Americans are an open people who love to experience other cultures... that and Wisconsin and Minnesota have large Scandinavian-origin populations. People getting in touch with their ancestry and linage, never a bad thing in my view. Ironically those are becoming less and less traditional for us each year.

Yup, just about every culture's cuisine is available here in LA. Though maybe not Lutefisk. But yeah, I agree it's good that Scandinavian-Americans are in touch with their roots all these years later.

I can't stand Lutefisk though. The taste is fine, very mild in fact, not too fishy compared to others like Salmon or Trout and the flavor is easily drowned out by a good alcohol base or garnishes, but I've never been one for it.

I've heard that it has a very strong, sort of sour, chemical-like smell. Never tried it obviously, though I do like fish.

I do love fish though, even some "fish" like whale, but prefer my fish in a salad, pasta, sandwich or grilled... we Norwegians love to grill and barbecue. It's an obsession:

brQVNab.png

And being a stereotypical Norge in more ways then one, you know I'm in on this action too:lol:. Say hello to my little friend (and backyard)!!

jivpp1X.jpg

:tup: Nice! In my opinion, no home is complete without a grill of some kind. Nothing in this world like a grilled piece of meat. We Americans love to grill :usflag:. Steak and fries has always been a favorite meal of mine. On another note, if you love grilled foods (including grilled and fried fish) you should really visit Pakistan. :pakistan:

fish-places-in-lahore.jpg

427b1dd36dc6f1a360cb7465fb55e0e1.jpg

Fry_Rao_Fish_of_Breeze_Fish_Point_Hyderabad_Sindh_lksoc_Pak101(dot)com.jpg

Breeze_Fish_Point_Gido_Chowk_Hyderabad_Sindh_Pakistan_1_vezfq_Pak101(dot)com.jpg

But not, Lutefisk and I don't get along, though my family is more partial to it and thus sometimes I have to tolerate it:(. I'm glad to see it's found a home in the States though.

The comic is realistic too, not just a bunch of Norwegian food stereotypes. Fishy, salty, bland and expensive are words people throw around a lot when talking about Norwegian cuisine. Desserts are nice though:happy:.

I wouldn't complain too much about Lutefisk. I think you Norwegians got off relatively easy. I had a professor in college who was half Icelandic. She told us all about Hakarl... :bad:

Now if only you could take surströmming away from the Swedes:whistle:

:-) Not happening anytime soon, I think:

That looks delicious.. . :woot::p: Just needs two more pounds of kebab meat, cucumbers and red bell peppers. :agree:

:o: What is that thing?!

As a Pakistani-American, I can tell you that you don't mix kebab and pizza. It's just wrong. That has to be a culinary crime...

The Ottoman Empire | but it's Sr Pelo references

Back
Top Bottom