What's new

from Homeless to Harvard

VCheng

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Here is an uplifting story about achievment despite adversity:

from: Harvard-bound homeless grad 'overwhelmed' by ovation | KTVQ.com | Q2 | Billings, Montana

F9F309753FADAA3A23BD5A275244E2C4_292_292.jpg

Harvard-bound homeless grad 'overwhelmed' by ovation
Posted: Jun 9, 2012 10:00 AM by Vivian Kuo

Dawn Loggins - whose inspirational story of going from homeless to Harvard inspired millions - walked across the stage late Thursday at North Carolina's Burns High School to loud cheers.

When her name, Ashley Dawn Loggins, was intoned, it brought down the house. Everyone in the auditorium erupted with enthusiastic yells and whistles. Most rose in a standing ovation to honor the first person from Lawndale, North Carolina, to ever be accepted to Harvard.

A CNN story on Dawn earlier in the day caught like wildfire through social media, with nearly 60,000 people sharing her story on Facebook. Thousands more tweeted Dawn's tale.

As Dawn took in the crowd's applause Thursday, she beamed with pride and accepted the leather-bound folder that housed the diploma she's worked so hard to get. She then broke down in tears.

"All I could hear were their screams, I couldn't hear myself think," she said later. "That's when I got overwhelmed and really emotional. I felt like all my hard work had finally been recognized."

After shaking hands with school administrators, she went back to her peers, lost in a sea of light blue caps. Outside, she was mobbed by well-wishers.

A man whose granddaughter was in Dawn's fourth-period class said, "I don't know what you're doing honey, but keep doing it because it's working. And you're gonna get where you wanna go."

Dawn had been abandoned by her drug-abusing parents last summer and left to fend for herself her senior year. She worked as a school janitor to make ends meet, and school staff pitched in to help.

"It feels amazing to finally be done and to have worked so hard for this and to finally have achieved it," she said, crying.

Dawn's family made the ceremony. Her mother, stepfather, grandmother, half-sisters and cousins attended. But it was her brother, Shane, she wanted to see most. He'd helped her throughout her life. "Love ya," he told her Thursday evening.

Her custodial supervisor, Julie Barrett, said simply: "Congratulations baby! I am so proud of you."

Dawn, 18, plans to take a week off of work. But she'll be back at Burns High in a week to once again take up her mop and broom as she works through the summer to help pay for college. While Harvard is paying for tuition, room and board, she still has to pay for textbooks, school materials and other living expenses.

She thanked everyone who has reached out to help with donations. She will use the money to set up her nonprofit organization, named Uplift. "There are other students whose situations are worse than mine, and their futures are less certain," she said. "The only way to get out of poverty is through education."

For teens in similar situations as hers, Dawn encourages hard work and communication. "I encourage people in poor situations to talk to someone at school, to talk to a guidance counselor, or talk to an administrator, a teacher. Because the school system can help," she said.

Any contributions can be sent to: Burns High School/Dawn Loggins Fund, 307 E. Stagecoach Trail, Lawndale, NC 28090.

Dawn's story echoes that of another: In 2007, The Foundation for a Better Life, a Colorado-based group that promotes values through advertisements, started a nationwide "Ambition" billboard campaign.

"From homeless to Harvard. AMBITION. Pass it on," the billboard said.

It featured a photograph of Liz Murray, a once-homeless girl from the Bronx who graduated from Harvard and went on to become an author. Her story was captured in a 2003 Lifetime movie.

The Foundation for a Better Life says Liz's story was to show people that "dedication pays off - and, if there's something that you want in life, you can better yourself and just work for it."

Excellent story, it reminds me of a proverb I read many years back. "Knowledge is the only instrument of production that is not subject to diminishing returns." I wish her good luck for her future endeavors.

Back
Top Bottom